Originally Posted by tekplay View Post
Actually, you can get an A8 cpu device for $200
At their store the Archos 5 8GB is $249 and the 16GB is $299.

Why am I talkin so much about the Archos???
Just so frustrated that Nokia didnt up the specs on the same form factor as the original IT's. Bah!!!Its been too long.

I wish the N900 has the same form factor as the ITs with a work USB host mode

Last edited by cheve; 2010-06-12 at 01:36.

The Following User Says Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:
I was talking about Archos 5 Internet Tablet Generation 7 with Android.
Processor is ARM Cortex-A8 800MHz.
Same processor than N900, plus an additional processor (32 bit DSP) for graphics.

$250 at amazon (8G flash version)

Amost same hardware features than N810, but no camera and qwerty, but includes accelerometer, FM radio and transmitter.

The Following User Says Thank You to hamunguia For This Useful Post:
Posts: 221 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Sendai, Japan
Is this the one your talking about:

http://www.archos.com/products/imt/a...try=us&lang=en

This is what it says for the processor:

Processor(s) Central Unit:
Main processor: ARM CortexTM-A8, 32 bit, In-order, dual-issue, superscalar core @ 800 MHz
Additional processor: 32 bit DSP @ 430 MHz
I tried selling my N810 once but everyone seemed to think it was a phone. I got tired of telling people "No, it's more like a computer." I finally gave up because I didn't want my beloved device to fall into the hands of such Philistines. That and it's the best alarm clock I've ever owned.

The Following User Says Thank You to verumgero For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hamunguia View Post
My N810 recently fails on touchscreen capability. The N810 was a great device in the beginning, unfortunately Nokia abandons their customers very easy and very soon.

Now I want to try Android.
Search the forum, people had problems with the screen and they opened and fixed it. Could be just a loose connector.
Or just get android thingy.
Goodbye hamunguia.

Originally Posted by ehab View Post
But my wet dream is to actually get a 7 inch or 9 inch maemo tablet. Wow that would kick XXX
Sorry if this is nit-picking, but it will almost certainly be a MeeGo tablet. MeeGo is the future of Maemo, which is great b/c (1) it will have other contributors besides Nokia (2) Qt means that many apps written for other MeeGo devices will run on your MeeGo device, (3) openness is increasing. What I mean by that last point is this: while vendors releasing a MeeGo device will doubtless include closed components, hopefully open MeeGo will become a more & more viable alternative over time.

Originally Posted by hamunguia View Post
The N810 was a great device in the beginning, unfortunately Nokia abandons their customers very easy and very soon.

Now I want to try Android.
Do you have any reason to believe that Android vendors will be any better?

hamunguia, I to am thinking of switching to the Archos 5. Archos says they are going to release their generation 8 devices late summer. It might be good to wait a little while longer. I have switched from doing Maemo development to Android development and will probably settle on an Archos tablet. Until I get one I plan on hanging onto my N810 and N800.

up until the recent release of special sdk; all archos devices were as closed as a tight drum. Archos "had" a history of releasing new firmware to stop people from "opening up" their devices(checkout the old 'hacking/ open development' threads at http://www.forum.archosfans.com/). Now the new archos are Android based so on paper is more open; but YMMV

the negative points(on my book) about the Archos: (1) it uses physical harddrive (2)the battery is fixed(not 100% sure on this for the new Archos) so it is difficult to change it out yourself. So this means that your Archos may only last until the 1st time you drop it to the floor and/or your battery die out in about 2 to 3 years time.

btw, I highly recommend the http://www.forum.archosfans.com for anything about archos

cheers,

Last edited by cheve; 2010-06-23 at 02:59.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cheve For This Useful Post:
There is an Archos 5 that has 32 GB of flash with an additional slot as well instead of a hard drive, which is what I would get. I agree about the battery. The video on the device is very impressive. When ever I have wanted to play videos on my N810 I have had to convert them down to a lower resolution. It appears that the Archos 5 will play them as is, except for HD videos.

i don't wanna rain on anyone parade and im sure this may not but there is a tablet friendlier version of android coming out around august i think it was so i would wait till then but in all likely hood since this is not nokia you will probably get an update for it if not its android root and flash it

Tags
blow me, delete me, worstthreadever