Active Topics

Posts: 319 | Thanked: 289 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lisboa, Portugal
Is it me or Engadget loves to hate Nokia?

The last thing happened with the newest Nokia ad, the guy that turns itself into a N900, and Engadget trying very very hard to associate the commercial to some creepy movie scene... From all of the offline as it happens that was the one they decided to step on.

Also, they are very quick to doom nokia's market share and dont point out when things go right...

Is it because for years a non north american company is the biggest phone maker? Is it a problem with nokia it self or they are just too overly patriotic and "buy american" is on their shirt all the time?

This freedom fries eaters are very disturbing...

and on that note, does anyone know a good gadget site?

i just got fed up with those *****s and dont want to visit their site one more time... I would rather read electronic store pamflets than to visit that site one more time too see more news like "look at this iphone cover in pink".

(gizmodo sucks the same way)

They are affiliated (how close?) with TUAW, The Unoffical Apple Weblog, so I'd say they're a bit biased to say the least.

Posts: 147 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Lincs, UK
I quite like pocket lint, but I always travel around and read as much about a gadget that catches my eye as I can - that's exactly how I found this place, through searching for more n900 stuff

And the funny part is Nokia are the Sponsors for their Engadget Shows !

So it means that part of my n900 money will go to make them complain more about the device I like?!?

Makes me want not to buy the n900...

OR MAYBE, engadget knows this and they are playing with my head..

Engadget editors have a particular idea of what smartphones should be and Android/Apple/Palm are better at delivering that than Nokia are.

They tend not to be as well informed about Nokia but then engadget is a US site and Nokia doesn't have a great presence there.

I think they will like the N900 since it's a device that's much closer to their idea of a smartphone, time will tell.

Their main editor doesn't have sufficient muscles in his finger to be able to carry out a slide motion on a resistive screen.

I don't think he'll be able to get to grips with the n900.

Posts: 33 | Thanked: 48 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Barcelona
Honestly, I like the engadget podcast. Is funny and entertaining, and a good way to know about consumer electronics when I am commuting.

But...

The website is probably headed towards being a high traffic site, where is much more important saying stuff very early, even if it's bogus or completely stupid, like this:

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/1...-dialer-a-bra/

Also, I lose my temper every single time they mention Linux. They don't know a thing about it, and spread FUD everytime they mention the word (I recall that they say it was impossible to change resolution easily, for example). They also are pretty bad at understanding the technology they are talking about. They see Android, WebOS or Maemo the same thing, because all it's Linux-based. Well guys, it's not, because Linux is just a kernel, and there are a lot more technologies involved, and Maemo is much better than the competition in this aspect (e.g., it's X11-based).

Engadget (at this point) want all the advantages of journalism (audience, followers, etc) without the duties it involves (to be informed, fact-checking, etc). Almost all their "analysis" pieces are just opinion, and not just only on the mobile field. A pity.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!