Originally Posted by Makeclick View Post
Use WPA2 AES! It's good for gaming and good for everything, now move on guys!
Many companies and organizations are using in their wireless-networks PEAP / TKIP / MS-CHAP, and that is IRL... At home you can use what you want...

"Gods have mercy. Cats don't..." <- Kaotik@iotech

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to catbus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 466 | Thanked: 335 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Btw. I just wonder how many who actually has tried to POST a message in Jolla phone and edit the trext moving the cursor? It was bad on N9 but even worse now.
Blarghh.
This is what makes me reject touchscreen-only devices. They have never really been intended for typing. Just swiping, tapping, consuming. Not making, producing.
You gotta have a superb, mature solution for it or it's terribly fumbly and inconvenient, like everything below the level of sophistication of BB10 actually is ("everything" meaning all available kinds of touchscreen text input).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bennypr0fane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
So, i had some fun with Jolla and Alien Dalvik over the last 2 days, maybe some of you are interested...

Android apps are stored in /data/sdcard
every Android app creates it's own user , something like 10011, 10020, 10025 and so on...

some apps create files with createmask like 600, so that only this app can read and write that files.

I installed Locus Pro for example (btw: androidpit is a great place to get paid and non-paid anroid apps) and then tried to install Locus Map Tweaks to get more maps, but it failed without an error message.

As you can see above, every Android app has it's own user and one app has no right to write into other apps folders.

so, i logged in via SSH and did a
devel-su
cd /data/sdcard/
chmod -R 777 Locus
... and everything worked.

yes, i tried with 775, but it did not work...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
As it stands, OS X Mavericks... was it ever tested? Release or beta? Not that you were running under beta, was it tested in any version was the question.
It is hard to know something is broken before release unless it was tested no? So yes it was tested on Mavericks release. But when the discovery was made that things were broken there was just no time to come up with an alternative.

They broke Android. I can still sync my BlackBerry Z10 without incident. I can still view the contents of my microSD card too. The point I made was that if BlackBerry could do it, so could you. The "how", I am personally unsure. In fact, just tested the Microsoft Windows Phone OS X app, it works too. Syncs without incident - but it's never truly ever given access to the file system.
Blackberry had/has how many hundereds of engineers? They probably have a team of 15-20 people for just handling their own closed sync solution. And as I stated that also means making clients for Windows, Linux etc and test it on all those versions. Same for Nokia. They even have several hunders of engineers doing the Lumias without even developing the OS, as they mostly port and do some apps.

Now take an accepted standard and test if it works. So if yes you use that as it is a lot less work. That is the whole point of standards.... But then things can sometimes go wrong if some OS maker does not do its job well. And given Apples history attributing it to malice is not too far fetched.

So you use a distro I've honestly never have heard about, yet you regard OS X as an operating system that nobody knows about? I hope that I'm misreading this statement.
Again I have clarified this earlier (I think even to you) that it was the name of my desktop environment. It is not because you don't know my graphical UI that my distro is obscure.

And you misunderstood. I did not say OS X is obscure, just that we don't have much in house OS X knowledge and having to do this work, when it is not expected, is quite hard. Especially if at original testing and decision time things are working.

So I apologize if you took it personal.
I did, this is why my tone was more angry than it should have been. My apologies for that.

I especially took it personal since I can't tell you how frustrating it is when something that works just gets broken by a third party. Especially one that refuses to support almost anything to push its own walled garden. And people just trying to blame you for that.
More so because I have already explained many times we are very serious about finding a solution, I even made a post where I point out that I already made some provisions to mitigate the issue like mass-storage export of the SD card. So that at least something works until a real solution can be found for this one problematic OS.

Last edited by Philippe; 2013-12-19 at 23:42.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Philippe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by att View Post
Thanks for totally useless post. If you don't like reading my comments then add me to your ignore list.
I'm confused. He disagrees with you, so ..., you ignore him?

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Philippe View Post
It is hard to know something is broken before release unless it was tested no? So yes it was tested on Mavericks release. But when the discovery was made that things were broken there was just no time to come up with an alternative.
It was never truly there. But I get what you're saying.

Blackberry had/has how many hundereds of engineers? They probably have a team of 15-20 people for just handling their own closed sync solution.
I admit, that was an unfair comparison. To me, it's really more about how it's an amazing feat that they tasked anybody on the OS X version.

Now take an accepted standard and test if it works. So if yes you use that as it is a lot less work. That is the whole point of standards...
That's going to be a problem. There's no real standard that "might" not include some submarine patents and/or differing implementations even within OS revisions and/or builds. Simply stated, there's no immediate fix. But that's going to be a problem in the near future once things go more mainstream.

I'm sure a solution will present itself.

And you misunderstood. I did not say OS X is obscure, just that we don't have much in house OS X knowledge and having to do this work, when it is not expected, is quite hard. Especially if at original testing and decision time things are working.
I'm quite sure the community (now or later) will be willing to assist on those endeavors on Windows, Linux (Debian, Ubuntu or otherwise), BSD, OS X and whatever is adopted by the users that have purchased a Jolla phone.

I did, this is why my tone was more angry than it should have been. My apologies for that.
Not a problem. We all get heated from time to time. Shows either compassion, conviction or both. Apology accepted.

So that at least something works until a real solution can be found for this one problematic OS.
I'm sure you guys will find a solution sooner than later. Kudos and continued success on your endeavors.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I had a quick look at what is out there for MTP and the Mac and my findings are in this thread...

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...54#post1398954

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
I'm confused. He disagrees with you, so ..., you ignore him?
It's fanboyism and reading this thread has shown up many such posters

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Just dropping a note that XFS on the micro SD card does not seem to be supported yet:
Code:
mount: unknown filesystem type: 'xfs'

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 226 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Malaysia
Just save all the argument about WPA/WPA2... both can be broken depending on how patient you are (or how much you are willing to spend). Wireless security these days is largely about "that guys network over there is faster/easier to break than mine... try his instead" and not so much about actual security

The Following User Says Thank You to biatch0 For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience