Active Topics

Closed Thread
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Here's one: All my data - pics, music and documents - is on a network drive accessed via wifi, so I can access it whichever computer I'm on. I'd assumed that an n900 can also access them - can it?

The answer should be yes. The existing tablets can already do that (though not necessarily with a great degree of reliability). So hopefully the n900 will have greatly improved on that.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Hello, just registered here.. and I'm very interested in the N900 device but have a few questions.. so here goes:

1) What happens when I'm listening to music and a phone call comes in? Will the system note to increase the volume of the phone call when my music is loud? or better yet, interrupt the music to show phone call? How does it handle SMS?

2) With the exception of handwriting recognition, do I -need- the stylus to do anything on the device? If so, where? I'd like to know just how finger/touch friendly this device is.

3) Does it support google push email? Will it be able to support OTA syncing of google contacts, calendar?

The Following User Says Thank You to mobilebuddha For This Useful Post:
4) Will the device give me a summary of things upon a single slide? I'm looking for things like:
a) # of missed phone calls
b) # of SMS that I haven't reviewed
c) upcoming calendar appointments (preferably a date range that is user configurable) - for example, I'd like to see all appointments for the next week.
d) new emails that I haven't read, if there are multiple email boxes, separate them (maybe something like.. Google-Personal(4), Google-Notifications(12), etc. etc. where the first part is the name of the account

I'm looking for this because iPhone doesn't currently provide a uniform "summary" window for something like this and I have to go into various programs to accomplish the same goal.

The Following User Says Thank You to mobilebuddha For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
Originally Posted by mobilebuddha View Post
2) With the exception of handwriting recognition, do I -need- the stylus to do anything on the device? If so, where? I'd like to know just how finger/touch friendly this device is.
Using normal Maemo apps you should be ok without stylus. I never use it.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
4) Will the device give me a summary of things upon a single slide? I'm looking for things like:
a) # of missed phone calls
b) # of SMS that I haven't reviewed
c) upcoming calendar appointments (preferably a date range that is user configurable) - for example, I'd like to see all appointments for the next week.
d) new emails that I haven't read, if there are multiple email boxes, separate them (maybe something like.. Google-Personal(4), Google-Notifications(12), etc. etc. where the first part is the name of the account

I'm looking for this because iPhone doesn't currently provide a uniform "summary" window for something like this and I have to go into various programs to accomplish the same goal.
This thread is only for short questions but here comes a short answer: No. But there is probably nothing technically stopping a developer creating such a widget.

The Following User Says Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
1) What happens when I'm listening to music and a phone call comes in? Will the system note to increase the volume of the phone call when my music is loud? or better yet, interrupt the music to show phone call? How does it handle SMS?
1) The music is paused, device switches to phone app and the ringtone sounds. After ending the call, it resumes music playing.
2) You can configure the message alerting in various ways. On my device, I just get a short vibrations (also for emails). Next time I turn on the display, the app switcher in the top left is glowing to remind me of events. When selecting the switcher, it show the overview of current programs and events/reminders: this includes missed calls and received messages. See this screenshotafter getting 1 email, 3 messages (1 SMS, 1 Skype Chat, 1 Gtalk chat) and missing two calls (1 voicecall, 1 gtalk call):
N900 missed calls and messages in overview

PS: On the N900, simply use Ctrl-Shift-P to make a screenshot. It will then show up in your Pictures.

All very decent in my warped opinion The seamless integration of GSM, SIP, Skype and Gtalk just rocks!

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

Last edited by twaelti; 2009-10-13 at 12:03. Reason: added screenshot

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Posts: 883 | Thanked: 980 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Bern, Switzerland
No, you don't need the stylus. In my experience of 4 days very heavy usage and testing, I only used it very rarely - and only because I was used to use it like that from my N810/N800. In the meantime, I've learned the proper usage of finger-only

"the idea of truly having a computer in your pocket just moved a big step closer."

The Following User Says Thank You to twaelti For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
help i'm stuck, help wanted