Notices

Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by pelago View Post
Personally I was never very happy with the timezone map. For a start, it doesn't scroll properly. I think a list of timezones is fine.

Well, I'm not so sure introducing an option for this is a good idea in general. See Joel on Software's view of options. It would be better to see if it was possible to fix things so that the clock can update once per second with a background image, but without it taking 10% CPU, or just leave the seconds off for the time being.
Thanks for the link, good reading, it reflexes the design dilemma's in a clear way.
As for the timezone map: I have the same preference for the list.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
@ade
My suggestion for timezone map was strictly taken from "being the same as original" point of view. It would be also a big problem to show it for the user in portrait mode (map for landscape and list for portrait?). So lets forget about it (for now at least ).

I`m with Estel on wallpaper dilemma - remove it, leaving plain background with icons, just like in portrait mode until a method for CPU usage is found (if ever).

Thank You for the new version.

The Following User Says Thank You to artpra For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by sidd211095 View Post
Mind sharing the clock background image ?
No problem sidd, here's the pic

Originally Posted by ade View Post
Yes, /etc/hildon/theme/backgrounds/clock.png is used, but that links to your theme image. I also have carbon as theme, so eventually
/opt/maemo/usr/share/themes/carbon/backgrounds/clock.png is used in my case.
No problem ade, both ways works just fine i guess, thx
Attached Files
File Type: zip blackstones.zip (142.9 KB, 69 views)
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

Last edited by peter2p; 2012-01-19 at 22:27.

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Romania
Except for the one to create it

I do not like to introduce personal preference settings, meaning more complexity and possibly some issues.
If it should resemble the original clock as much as possible, I'll leave it this way. Since the original clock does not have a portrait mode, we have more freedom for that screen
due to lack of options in all maemo original applications, please allow me to disagree.
if u can do something to integrate more options, please do so. for all almost normal users like me, we would love to be able to have more settings for base applications.

i'm just say my point of view regarding your affirmation as a general note, not regarding this application that i don't use because of lack of other features than original ( as i undestud reading thru ).

The Following User Says Thank You to ioncelmare For This Useful Post:
Posts: 336 | Thanked: 129 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ portugal
about that, i compare this implementation to the Open Media Player one. Not only they made the madia player work in portrait, as you did to worldclock, but add subtil but appreciated changes.
One i dont use is the «entertainment view», but something similar could be very useful in clock replacement, adding the function of night watch: i sleep very bad and every time i wake up at night i reach and have to tap n900 to see the time, or get it closer to me...if there was a function like a low battery consumption big clock, just indicating current time and next alarm, it would be awsome (something like digiclock, but not a monster of draining battery like that!)..well..just an idea..maybe for the future..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ed_boner For This Useful Post:
ade, cant agree with idea of leaving background, that wakes up CPU to 10% due to repaint on every change, be it minute or second.

Please, just disable background image, until someone introduce proper fix. Added bonus, is that we could have seconds view in landscape to, without negative effects
---

*Evil* way would be to enable seconds view on landscape, for "proper replacement" fans - let them enjoy constant + 10% CPU usage, if they can't live without clock background. Others may just delete image file

Of course joking (kinda) on this last proposition.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 48 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Thank you very much for this fine clone. I use it daily and have encountered one problem as of yet. (See below.)

I do have one feature request that is already mentioned here, namely a specialized view that tries to mimic a standard alarm clock.

Good luck with it!

[EDIT]
Seems I found a small bug:

These are my regional settings:

This is what the home screen shows if the alarm is more than 24h(?) in the future:

Notice how suddenly the Dutch language is used.

Last edited by LavaCroft; 2012-01-21 at 20:11. Reason: typos, bug

The Following User Says Thank You to LavaCroft For This Useful Post:
Looks like I found a provisionary way to prevent the replacement clock from crashing: wrap it in a shellscript. Additional instructions can be found in the first post.

I still haven't made up my mind about the wallpaper/seconds discussion...

@LavaCroft:
I see you have modified your post with a possible small bug. Will try to repoduce it.
edit:
bug confirmed

Last edited by ade; 2012-01-22 at 09:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Latest bug report is from LavaCroft is fixed.

To make the clock replacement also stable, I decided to add the shellscript for now. Please read the new install instructions in the first post. You can also find the link to the newest download over there.

It would also mean (for the first time ) we have no reported bugs open at the moment, only change/feature requests.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Please read the new install instructions in the first post. You can also find the link to the newest download over there.
Thx ade, just installed the latest version, works great

It would also mean (for the first time ) we have no reported bugs open at the moment, only change/feature requests.
I saw not a bug, rather a minor cosmetic improvement.
Could you in portrait mode make the popup from Clock/locales or Landinstellingen as high as Clock/Adjust Time and Date?
It is possible to scroll now but there is room enough, i guess
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter2p For This Useful Post:

Tags
clock-ui, replacement, worldclock