Notices

btw, If you can use scp or sftp or Bluetooth OBEX, you can also transfer the whole log file straight to your PC from root@N900:/tmp/smscon.log

Posts: 200 | Thanked: 300 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ The Netherlands
UPDATE NEWS

I pushed release 0.7-2 to the autobuilder including 2 bug fixes...

UPDATE WARNING:
With this release the smscon_config file will not be overwritten with default template when updating from 0.7-1 (please post if this works for you).
When updating from <= 0.5-9 the smscon_config file will be overwritten because of new options in smscon_config file.

Originally Posted by digitalvoid View Post
UPDATE NEWS

UPDATE WARNING:
With this release the smscon_config file will not be overwritten with default template when updating from 0.7-1 (please post if this works for you).
When updating from <= 0.5-9 the smscon_config file will be overwritten because of new options in smscon_config file.
I haven some troubles (again) with the autobuilder, and this above is maybe not implemented in 0.7-2 (let's first see where the autobuilder fails me everytime...).

The autobuilder did accept release 0.7-2 with new update function;

The smscon_config file will not be overwritten with default template when updating from 0.7-1 (please post if this works for you).

I just updated to 0.7-4 and had to reinput my settings (inc password). The previous update retained all settings except the password. Stupidly I hadn't made a note of the version I was on before updating....

It's a great app, just hope I never need to use it in anger!

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
What if you forget the password? How do you get it back?

Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
I just updated to 0.7-4 and had to reinput my settings (inc password). The previous update retained all settings except the password. Stupidly I hadn't made a note of the version I was on before updating....

It's a great app, just hope I never need to use it in anger!
You are talking about SMSCON-editor, right?

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Adelaide, Australia
Originally Posted by joe90bass View Post
I just updated to 0.7-4 and had to reinput my settings (inc password). The previous update retained all settings except the password.
The same thing happened to me twice in the last 3 updates.

Why can't it just remember my previous config??? Such a pain!

It would be so logical, that there would be password for SMScon. The same password would be in SMScon-editor. The default password could be that 12345 or "smscon" or anything.
All commands coming from SMS should start with this password. Therefore there wouldn't have to be this "second" password which is now the prefix to SMS-commands settable in smscon-editor.

It would simplify, would make by default more secure, and even would consume less battery energy to check just the first word from SMS against the configured password and then retire or process it further if the password matches. Nowadays more there is SMS-commands recognized, more processing SMScon-daemon has to do with every incoming SMS, although most likely probability that the SMS was meant for SMScon is little in normal situation when the device is not lost or stolen.

Or is there really people who do not set the prefix (the 2nd password) in SMSCon-editor?

Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
It would be so logical, that there would be password for SMScon. The same password would be in SMScon-editor. The default password could be that 12345 or "smscon" or anything.
All commands coming from SMS should start with this password. Therefore there wouldn't have to be this "second" password which is now the prefix to SMS-commands settable in smscon-editor.

It would simplify, would make by default more secure, and even would consume less battery energy to check just the first word from SMS against the configured password and then retire or process it further if the password matches. Nowadays more there is SMS-commands recognized, more processing SMScon-daemon has to do with every incoming SMS, although most likely probability that the SMS was meant for SMScon is little in normal situation when the device is not lost or stolen.

Or is there really people who do not set the prefix (the 2nd password) in SMSCon-editor?
No, it is not a good option. The "new" user will see (thus know) the password as soon as the first message arrives. The benefit from comparing 5 instead of 10 character strings will not make any difference in battery life.