Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by zwer View Post
What video you cannot watch because you don't have 10.1 on your N900. Think carefully what you'll answer, there are people that actually know a bit on how Flash video works and what are the differences between various Flash player versions.

While you are at it, since it is a basic function, name one production device that has FP 10.1 atm. I'm almost certain that it will come for the N900. Actually, name one device with a cell radio that has Flash (full version) at all. Any version.
My M11x does

Well, ok, I tether using my G1, but 10.1 beta works GREAT with the Nvidia 335m Then again, the M11 will not fit in my pocket.

If you go to the actual Adobe Flash forums, they mention the requirement is either the ompap3 or snapdragon since both have dedicated GPU's. N900 has been mentioned a few times in conferences. Why is there any doubt it is coming to the N900?

Last edited by Rushmore; 2010-03-11 at 18:16.

There are two main reason that makes me fear we won't have flash 10 on the n900:

1. No official statement from Nokia

2. Because of Meego, I guess N900 is the last and only Nokia running Maemo 5 - why develope for a dead platform?

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ France
i need the new flash 10 to see tv from here : http://www.skai.gr/player/tvlive/

it works only with 10 version

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by Tejs View Post
There are two main reason that makes me fear we won't have flash 10 on the n900:

2. Because of Meego, I guess N900 is the last and only Nokia running Maemo 5 - why develope for a dead platform?
Yeah that's the main problem after they announced MeeGo. Flash10.1 is already made and tested on N900 but i think Adobe still holding on to it until Nokia made their final decision on the N900 future. If Nokia said N900 will get it then they will talk to Adobe. But right now Nokia keeping it silent, may be they want to surprise us?

There's nothing that revolutionary about MeeGo. Maemo 5 would have evolved into Maemo 6 anyway, regardless of MeeGo. What has changed is that Maemo 6 will be rebranded as MeeGo, and what would have become Maemo 7 will be a full MeeGo install instead.

Nokia never announces dates or details of upcoming firmware releases, unless it's a big change for developers, which flash isn't (as flash 10 would still run flash 9 content), so I would not exacpect any statements from Nokia on the matter.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadowjk For This Useful Post:
Isnt there meant to be a 10.5 version of Flash due out soon that is more designed for Mobile Devices

I dont know how much truth there is in that but it came about during a conversation with a Web Designer / Developer

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
10.1 is in beta testing, from there I guess it is in Nokia's hands. Probably we'll see it in the firmware update following the non-beta release of Flash 10.1. Maybe PR1.3 or something like this...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA

John Loughney of Nokia just stated on meego-dev list that Flash 10.1 is coming to Nokia products at some point in 2010. I am fairly confident this includes N900, which does not become "dead" simply due to MeeGo. I wish everyone would get off that idea.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
John Loughney of Nokia just stated on meego-dev list that Flash 10.1 is coming to Nokia products at some point in 2010. I am fairly confident this includes N900, which does not become "dead" simply due to MeeGo. I wish everyone would get off that idea.
I never statet that the N900 is dead - but officially Maemo 5 is dying as there won't be any more maemo 5 devices (it is of course still alive and kicking as long as the community is and for the N900 as a device there is still hope it will be able to run meego).
But if Adobe Flash 5 is developed for maemo 5 it will be for the N900 and nothing else and one could fear that Adobe wouldn't bother spending time/money on such a narrow market.

Thankfully it seems it is now fully in Nokia's hands and they seem to be able and willing to release Flash 10 for the N900.

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Do you even realize how similar are Maemo (Fremantle, Harmattan) and MeeGo platforms - that much that the next Maemo (Harmattan) will be called MeeGo even tho it is not (no Moblin merged into it)?

When it comes to Adobe, those two platforms are the same - at worst they would just need to repackage their plugin, which is trivial. Both platforms are running the same core OS (Linux), both are using the same X Window System (X.Org), both are using browsers compatible with the Netscape plugin system (most Gecko and Webkit based browsers have a native support for that), so for Adobe it is the same platform. Just like they are not writing separate plugins for Ubuntu, Fedora Core, OpenSuSE, PCLinuxOS... Actually, most of the work they've done on the desktop plugins' outer layer (browser hooks, drawing to framebuffer etc.) is directly portable (as in no additional code required) to the Maemo/MeeGo platform due to both of them being essentially GNU/Linux platforms - that is why the first Flash Player 10.1 plugin on a mobile device was demoed on an N900! There is no easier platform for Adobe to develop than Maemo/MeeGo when it comes to hand-held devices. Unfortunately, we are the victims of the Android platform popularity, which takes a huge amount of resources at Adoe to make it work as it should (Dalvik is a bi*ch and a resource hog), thus pushing the Maemo/MeeGo plugin in the low-priority zone, otherwise we'd already have it on our N900s (although Nokia has a role in that as well - as I've mentioned before, to best of my knowledge N900s Flash Player 10.1 is already finished and it is between Nokia and Adobe to decide when we will get it).

What is of concern to Adobe are the possible hardware differences. But even that area is almost a no-issue as they've already developed cores for both, ARMEL and x86 platforms, and developed acceleration hooks for most of the mobile GPUs, and given that Nokia has announced that the N900 successor will be essentially the same at the core level (OMAP 3430) making it work on the N900, even if N900 doesn't get an official Harmattan/MeeGo update, would be, as I said, at worst a matter of repackaging the plugin.

Last edited by zwer; 2010-03-24 at 12:06.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:

Tags
adobe, adobe flash, blahblah, flash, flash 10, flash 10.1, fremantle, future, idiotic thread, maemo, maemo 5, nokia, nokia fails, update