Notices

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ India, Mumbai
hi... got it working.. after opening the app. i have lock the conversation but still i can open the conversation... why ???

Posts: 126 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Lebanon
hi,im trying to lock apps from the UI but its not working,i pressed lock but its not locking any app as if the button is not working...

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Stellenbosch, South Africa
@cutehunk04, If you are locking apps that depend on DBus monitoring then you need to either restart the daemon or click on AppLock (the top of the window) followed by clicking the button. That is a temporary workaround for a problem where the UI would freeze for 30 seconds or so on each lock.

@baboo, Make sure that the daemon is running, it sounds like it isn't. Open up the menu (click on AppLock at the top of the window) and see what is says for Daemon Status. If it says it is running but it still doesn't work then try running this from the terminal:
Code:
sudo gainroot
initctl emit AppLockStopDaemon
initctl emit AppLockStartDaemon
REMEMBER
This app is still VERY much in a state of active development. That means it is likely to break, not work and generally fail to secure your device in any semblance of reliability at the moment. The only reason it is available for download NOW is because people wanted to test it out and keep an eye on the progress of its development.
PLEASE don't treat it as a finished app, don't expect it to work most of the time, don't even expect it to work some of the time. At the moment it is BUGGY and there are a number of hoops you need to jump through to get it working. I am tempted NOT to fix those for the time being since if you don't even know what nano is or how to save a file in it, then you are most definitely NOT QUALIFIED to reflash your phone if it does break.

I would also like to reiterate that I accept NO RESPONSIBILITY whatsoever for any damages that may be caused through the use, or installation, of this application.

I'll try and help you out if you do break something but understand that this is done as nothing more than a hobby, and since people asked for an app to do these things.

/END RANT

Progress Update
Got around to doing some of the work to get the app up to version 0.3.1 today. Changes include fixing the problem with the .desktop file for the app (not launching when you click on it's shortcut in the menu) as well as some work to get substitution files working from the command line. I am also going to re-look at how the daemon is set up to hopefully improve the way setting of options is handled from the UI. What I may end up doing is another rewrite of the database system and rather than selective listening of DBus events, listening to all of them and comparing them to entries in the database, that would provide real-time settings updates without any of the problems currently seen however it would also result in slightly greater battery usage. Then again, if you were launching apps enough for that to be a problem, it wouldn't...

Will keep you guys updated as it progresses however I am finishing my holiday on the 12th and heading back to University where I will actually have to do proper work, so forgive me if updates are a little less frequent from now on

Last edited by SPARTAN563; 2011-07-10 at 21:59.

Originally Posted by SPARTAN563 View Post
@baboo, Make sure that the daemon is running, it sounds like it isn't. Open up the menu (click on AppLock at the top of the window) and see what is says for Daemon Status. If it says it is running but it still doesn't work then try running this from the terminal:
Code:
sudo gainroot
initctl emit AppLockStopDaemon
initctl emit AppLockStartDaemon
Sorry man i did that but still isn't working,i tried to lock "Opera" app from terminal and it says that its locked,then when i open the ui ,i see it locked and again the lock/unlock button does nothing and it actually isn't locked and works normally

Hmm, try opening up a terminal and running this:
Code:
applock -d
The leave that running in the background and open up the UI, see if you can lock Opera there, then click on the Reload Daemon button in the menu and finally try to start Opera. If the daemon crashes or prints a message that looks bad then post it here and I'll see what I can figure out from it.

Thanks

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India

REMEMBER
This app is still VERY much in a state of active development. That means it is likely to break, not work and generally fail to secure your device in any semblance of reliability at the moment. The only reason it is available for download NOW is because people wanted to test it out and keep an eye on the progress of its development.
PLEASE don't treat it as a finished app, don't expect it to work most of the time, don't even expect it to work some of the time. At the moment it is BUGGY and there are a number of hoops you need to jump through to get it working. I am tempted NOT to fix those for the time being since if you don't even know what nano is or how to save a file in it, then you are most definitely NOT QUALIFIED to reflash your phone if it does break.

I would also like to reiterate that I accept NO RESPONSIBILITY whatsoever for any damages that may be caused through the use, or installation, of this application.

I'll try and help you out if you do break something but understand that this is done as nothing more than a hobby, and since people asked for an app to do these things.

/END RANT

Progress Update
Got around to doing some of the work to get the app up to version 0.3.1 today. Changes include fixing the problem with the .desktop file for the app (not launching when you click on it's shortcut in the menu) as well as some work to get substitution files working from the command line. I am also going to re-look at how the daemon is set up to hopefully improve the way setting of options is handled from the UI. What I may end up doing is another rewrite of the database system and rather than selective listening of DBus events, listening to all of them and comparing them to entries in the database, that would provide real-time settings updates without any of the problems currently seen however it would also result in slightly greater battery usage. Then again, if you were launching apps enough for that to be a problem, it wouldn't...

Will keep you guys updated as it progresses however I am finishing my holiday on the 12th and heading back to University where I will actually have to do proper work, so forgive me if updates are a little less frequent from now on

I was the one who requested for this app and no matter who complains about instability or bugs, I'll still be there to test your development. I dont mind flashing my phone once in a while and I'd definitely want to see this as a stable app some day!

Thanks a lot! Stay in touch here while you're back at university. I'm on a 2 week leave too after exams.

Please dont completely abandon this project like some developers do when they get too busy with life. Keep this thread alive. I'll always be poppin in here to check for any updates once in a while.

My best wishes for you.

Last edited by warhawk007; 2011-07-10 at 23:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to warhawk007 For This Useful Post:
Hmm, try opening up a terminal and running this:
Code:
applock -d
The leave that running in the background and open up the UI, see if you can lock Opera there, then click on the Reload Daemon button in the menu and finally try to start Opera. If the daemon crashes or prints a message that looks bad then post it here and I'll see what I can figure out from it.

Thanks
well that didnt work either:
/home/user # applock -d
Maemo applications must be run with the run-standalone.sh script!
QGtkStyle was unable to detect the current GTK+ theme.
Could not connect to session bus

thankyou for your patience

@baboo, the "Could not connect to session bus" message means the daemon is running. Run this from your terminal beforehand then:
Code:
ps | grep AppLock
kill <process code for AppLock -d>
applock -d
@warhawk
Thanks, I don't intend on leaving this project unfinished, though at the same time I am a lot less than interested in providing tutorials to some of the less educated here about how to use their phones. What may well end up happening is me sending people like you the latest versions and leaving v0.2.2 in the repo for everyone else until there is a stable version. At least that would prevent the majority of people who don't have a clue from using the app. *Starts thinking up a questionnaire for deciding who gets to download it*

At the end of the day, if someone doesn't know how to use the terminal then they should really not 1) have Extras-Devel enabled or 2) be testing a pre-release/Alpha application. I am just waiting for someone to post here saying something like
OMG man, I jst instld yr app n wen I ran it mah ph lck. nw i dunno wht the lck cde is? plz hlp!!!11!!!
*Facepalm*

Okay, quick vote, I'd like to know which to the following solutions you guys would prefer when it comes to detecting applications that are launched based on their command line arguments. Say Python/Bash scripts.

Command Line Comparison
  • Exact match, case sensitive
  • Exact match, case insensitive
  • Contains match, case sensitive
  • Contains match, case insensitive
  • Regular Expressions
  • Use a combination of one of the above and an application path (python/bash interpreter)

Determining when to monitor command lines
  • Monitor all applications which have command line arguments based purely on those command line arguments (not on the app's path) BAD IDEA AFAIAC
  • Monitor any command line that ends with .sh or .py
  • Monitor any command line that contains .sh or .py
  • Try and determine whether an argument in a command line is a file, and if so, if it ends with .sh or .py, monitor that command line (Would take a LOT of time to code this up)
  • Try to parse the #!/usr/bin/env python part of a file, if it exists to determine whether or not to monitor the command line

Please choose a combination of the above and if possible substantiate your answer.

Currently I am leaning towards a case sensitive contains search for the command line, using an "ends with .sh/.py -> monitor" search system.

Last edited by SPARTAN563; 2011-07-11 at 09:03.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
Fixed the UI booting problem. But like cutehunk04 said, pressing the Lock button in the UI doesnt seem to do anything. Applications are still unlocked. And for your reference, I even restarted the daemon through command line even though UI reported the daemon is running.

and applock-d in the termnal gives this output:

~ $ applock -d
AppLock Daemon - Loading Settings
QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
Loading Application Monitor
Connecting to deprecated signal QDBusConnectionInterface::serviceOwnerChanged(QStr ing,QString,QString)
Loading Session Bus Monitor
Session Filters:
DBus Monitor Connected
DBus Monitor Running
Message Recieved on DBus Type= "signal" Sender= "org.freedesktop.DBus" Destination= ":1.747"
Signal - Interface: "org.freedesktop.DBus" && Member: "NameAcquired"
Adding Filter: "Contacts_Keypress" ( "session" )
"type='method_call',interface='com.nokia.osso_addr essbook',member='search_append'"
Adding search to settings
Adding filter to monitor
Filter Added
Adding Filter: "Contacts_Shortcut" ( "session" )
"type='method_call',interface='com.nokia.osso_addr essbook',member='top_application'"
Adding filter to monitor
Filter Added
Adding Filter: "Conversations" ( "session" )
"type='method_call',interface='com.nokia.Messaging UI',member='top_application'"
Adding filter to monitor
Filter Added