Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Which package is pre-beta... FBreader, Modest, Canola2, OpenSSH, Map, or RTcomm beta? These are not left field applications, these are the kind of applications that really expected should be in Extras? or am I completly off base here? These are some of the leading applications for the unit. ( except for map... shame on nokia for that one )
Yeah, but if you do have such packages, you might want to know when you upgrade one and your system has trouble. Still, that's one argument, but I disagree with the whole notion of limiting options; just a warning, and (obviously) displaying a list of what will be upgraded, and let even noobs choose their fate.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
I have been playing with the idea to make a web based upload module for extras and extras-devel. It would then feed the packages to the autobuilder. It seems that a few people think it is hard to upload to extras and extras-devel.

The question is, what is wrong with dput? If someone can't figure out dput, does that person understand how to build dsc, changes and tarballs of the code?

I would like to pinpoint what the real problem is, before I start coding.

Maybe it is just that the documentation isn't clear or people can't find out where it is?

Posts: 259 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Halifax, NS
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
I prefer hover effects and color for identifying links, but to each his own.
Well that's the point of mystery meat navigation. You shouldn't have to use hover effects to identify a link. Color is helpful, but not a full answer, especially in this case, because naturally you want to emphasize "164 Applications!" somehow anyway, so you can't assume everything in a distinct color is a link.

Consider "OS & SDK" over on the right.

We've had 13 years of links being underlined... it's an acceptable standard, people know what underlined text is.

(Then again even that rule gets broken sometimes)

Posts: 425 | Thanked: 132 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ California
I fully realize I am relatively new to package management discussion, but IMHO there seem to be only two issues, and we are debating the finer points of:

1) Better package management (documentation and included dependencies)

and

2) Better (more consolidated) interface for installing packages

Both of these are essential (the current system is quite convoluted) but require a lot of volunteer hours on the part of somebody.

My suggestion is to only have ONE place where all packages and applications reside, overseen by a management team or perhaps some senior developers who are willing to volunteer some time to achieve the quality control we seem to agree is necessary. In my idealistic vision, the front end of this application would function in a manner similar to other online application stores or content stores (ie the iTunes music store) in which applications are categorized (often in multiple categories) and have in depth descriptions included, as well as user ratings and reviews.

I realize we already have a lot of this structure (user reviews on maemo downloads, categories and so forth) but it needs to be brought together in a coherent manner, and older packages must be brought up to date.

Then, from there, once the database of applications has been gone through and "fixed" I suggest an on-the-device application/package manager that has an easy to use GUI interface, and will do on-the-spot checking to make sure you have all the necessary support packages.

What this will require is the support of a team of volunteers/coders to provide accurate documentation for the existing packages, and to upload new packages to the database, making sure each field is filled in correctly. Also required is the creation of stricter standards for application documentation and dependancy listings. Once the current packages have been brought up to speed, the system would require maintenance by several persons who have the time to manage the database, and make sure all the content is filled in the required fields.

My ideal GUI user interface would have the following features, here exemplified by the iTunes music store which most of us have come to know and [sarcasm] love [/sarcasm]:

Last edited by josiahg777; 2008-03-29 at 00:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to josiahg777 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
Haven't read all this, but if one of the NIT's default rss feeds was 'featured applications' from maemo, wouldn't that make maemo more interesting to more people? Could include a nice description and click to install link

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 620 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by Jobester View Post
Haven't read all this, but if one of the NIT's default rss feeds was 'featured applications' from maemo, wouldn't that make maemo more interesting to more people? Could include a nice description and click to install link
The RSS feed for that is already on my TODO list, it is a request from Reggie actually

The Following User Says Thank You to X-Fade For This Useful Post:
Posts: 71 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Canada
Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo View Post
Well that's the point of mystery meat navigation. You shouldn't have to use hover effects to identify a link.
If it was an easy change, since ### applications link is already at the top of the page in huge letters, could use a second link under popular shortened to something such as "more". That's where I was looking for it

Last edited by Jobester; 2008-04-06 at 22:05.

Originally Posted by X-Fade View Post
The RSS feed for that is already on my TODO list, it is a request from Reggie actually
An RSS of the "Fresh" category would be nice, too.

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
A user would only have to enable Extras...
How would one go about doing that, sir?

I apologize if this was posted before. I did a quick search and didn't find anything.

Application Manager feature request.

I would like to see an additional column with a check box in it. At the bottom of the window (toolbar) there would be a 'filter' on/off button.

If the filter is off, you see all of the entries, as you do now. If the filter is on, any item checked would not appear in the list. That way, once you have decided that a particular application is not for you, you check it so you don't have to make that same decision the next time you browse the list.

Any new applications would be added with the check box unchecked.

Thanks,
Karl

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to kkobel For This Useful Post: