Hello,

Recently my N900's screen went black, although tapping on the screen still made the "tap" sound. I decided to open the phone up and see what was going on inside before deciding what to do to repair it. Here it is:

the insides were very dirty, dust, lint, even a tiny bird feather was foun d! Also some metal surfaces appear to have oxidised a bit.

My question is, how should I go about cleaning all this? I've seen recommendations about compressed air and q-tips with alcohol. What about the oxidation? Can I remove that somehow?

After I clean it I will try and see if maybe magically things work again before asking for your advice on how to repair it.

Thanks in advance,
Konstantinos

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kouk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Yup you need to clean it. Cleam it with alchol via a soft brush and clean every contact you find
just be careful with the oxidised parts use a sharp needle to scrap gently to find out whats up i.e is it just a thin layer then it can be cleaned by brush or if u find its fussy or rusty type then be careful just use the needle to scrap the contact points dont try to remove all.
And just dont use alchol on dedicate parts like flex plug insted use the brush with a sane amount after gently scraching the pins.
Dont go near the camera module insted blow it to clean
remove all covers and clean i.e the tins covering cpu etc.
In your case flex seems to be damaged
p.s you can use a soft toothbrush for the cleaning job

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Ah... If you find a hot air gun then use that to dry.
Or leave it under a fan for half an hour to be on the safe side before powering it up

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
Ah... If you find a hot air gun then use that to dry.
Or leave it under a fan for half an hour to be on the safe side before powering it up

thanks mate! I've already got my q-tips. By the way, someone I know recommended acetone as an alternative to alcohol. Do you have an opinion as to what is better?

The Following User Says Thank You to kouk For This Useful Post:
Best is isoprophyle alchol then silicon spray
yeah you can acetone its good enough .
Btw be careful with em dip the brush tip shake a little then clean as both acetone or isoprophyle corrode plastics . So take out the entire board in hand then perform

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:

Tags
disassembly, nokia n900