Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
I still have my cybot and would love to have the n900 control it. Shame they never released the software for it.
Oddly I found your post MINKIN2 when searching for my own N950 Cybot project - if you haven't seen it before, maybe it'll give you some inspiration to finally get your Cybot moving again The controller application is very simple and based on Qt so it should be trivial to get it to run on the N900. It doesn't use the original Cybot software, but instead uses an arduino to control the original Cybot motor controller.

Cybot950 Project Page

Since that video was made, some of the kids I teach have put a gripper and a voice shield on it.. it's a chatty grabby Cybot these days

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2012-07-07 at 22:47.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Oddly I found your post MINKIN2 when searching for my own N950 Cybot project - if you haven't seen it before, maybe it'll give you some inspiration to finally get your Cybot moving again The controller application is very simple and based on Qt so it should be trivial to get it to run on the N900. It doesn't use the original Cybot software, but instead uses an arduino to control the original Cybot motor controller.

Cybot950 Project Page

Since that video was made, some of the kids I teach have put a gripper and a voice shield on it.. it's a chatty grabby Cybot these days
That's absolutely awesome mate!

I have no Arduino but have got my Raspberry Pi and the thought had crossed my mind of implementing that some how?

If I recall, I did collect 30(ish) issues before giving up on the model, I had built the whole robot, had the handset and even received the sports wings too... Just needed teh stand for the Remote controller before I stopped collecting.

I'm going to have to go to my parents to pick up the Cybot as soon as I can.

Consider me inspired, Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Step one completed. My cybot is here.

Had to laugh though, I noticed that there was still some batteries left in the bot and thought they would have leaked acid in the tray. Once I opened it up and noticed they were clean, I flicked the switch and the lights came on with the bot playing its little tune.

It did not have enough juice to turn the wheels but still, made me giggle. I also remembered that this has an IR port too. I sounder if it can be controlled by the n900 universal remote app?

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2012-07-13 at 19:44. Reason: Had to add picture from PC, cos the n9 browser is a piece of ****

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post:
Does anybody have any experience programming a blank AVR?

I have about 18 blank atmega328p microcontrollers. I was thinking of getting the arduino OptiBoot on to one of them for a Christmas project. Unfortunately I don't have an AVR programmer or spare Arduino (gave it away after I got a Raspi). I do however have a USB FTDI Basic

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9716?

however there are very few tutorials on burning a bootloader to a blank AVR using USB FTDI out there. The ones I have found differ slightly to the FTDI breakout I have

http://www.ladyada.net/learn/breakou...tdifriend.html

I've never done bare-metal programming so I don't know how to adapt it to my FTDI breakout or if it's even possible since I don't have access to the RTS pin, instead I have a CTS pin.

I have TX, RX, CTS, DTR, VCC, GND on my breakout

Is it possible to burn Optiboot using the FTDI basic above? I don't want to risk doing something I don't fully understand.

Tags
nitdroid