Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
I really don't get you this time. You want to focus on something but not change the exposure?

Couldn't that be done with manual exposure compensation?
He means he want two different focus points to work with. Kind of.

One you point where you want the focus to be. And one point to put where you want the exposure to be measured from, seperate from the focal point.

Like Camera+ for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/came...329670577?mt=8

The Following User Says Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Couldn't that be done with manual exposure compensation?
the answer is yes, period.

so here is the scenario that leads users to want this evBox+focusBox feature:
1) folks try to take a pic with radically bad lighting, and notice that its underexposed
2) they then move the focal point to a dark region on the viewfinder, and take it again.
3) they notice that the subject is overexposed AND blurry, and wish they could adjust the exposure based on the lighting without having the focal point change.

WISH GRANTED.

really, though, its that cellphones and P&S DigiCams (R) (TM) make it so that users have literally no idea what exposure is, let alone give them a slider for changing it.

EDIT: im not saying the feature is useless, just that the problem it addresses is solved far more elegantly with a manual ev slider that you dont need to go off-camera to change.

Last edited by wolke; 2013-09-11 at 17:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
on a side note, you might want to consider opt-in daemonizing/prestarting.

its obnoxious to have your app always running without even notifying the user, but it can actually be a useful feature, and youre never going to get faster than without it.
There's a lot of time gone before the splash is shown. Maybe here you can find a cause
You might try using qml profiler.
You might try doing some cerr's to show what takes so long.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 605 | Thanked: 1,778 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Helsinki
on a side note, you might want to consider opt-in daemonizing/prestarting.

its obnoxious to have your app always running without even notifying the user, but it can actually be a useful feature, and youre never going to get faster than without it.
I don't yet want to take that route even though stock harmattan camera is doing it.

Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
There's a lot of time gone before the splash is shown. Maybe here you can find a cause
You might try using qml profiler.
You might try doing some cerr's to show what takes so long.
That is not a normal splash screen. It's part of the application itself. Most likely the time is spent parsing QML, constructing stuff and creating bindings. That is the time I need to profile but not much luck yet.

QML profiler that comes with QtCreator is no good. I couldn't figure out anything from it.

All I am saying is I am trying to find bottlenecks to optimize. If someone can help then please do

Last edited by MSameer; 2013-09-11 at 23:14.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dannejanne View Post
He means he want two different focus points to work with. Kind of.

One you point where you want the focus to be. And one point to put where you want the exposure to be measured from, seperate from the focal point.

Like Camera+ for iOS.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/came...329670577?mt=8
I have never used an iphone before. I have checked a few videos and now I get the point. I will try to see if that feature is supported by the harmattan camera libraries or not. However, you can read below:

the answer is yes, period.

so here is the scenario that leads users to want this evBox+focusBox feature:
1) folks try to take a pic with radically bad lighting, and notice that its underexposed
2) they then move the focal point to a dark region on the viewfinder, and take it again.
3) they notice that the subject is overexposed AND blurry, and wish they could adjust the exposure based on the lighting without having the focal point change.

WISH GRANTED.

really, though, its that cellphones and P&S DigiCams (R) (TM) make it so that users have literally no idea what exposure is, let alone give them a slider for changing it.

EDIT: im not saying the feature is useless, just that the problem it addresses is solved far more elegantly with a manual ev slider that you dont need to go off-camera to change.
But I have a slider for that in the toolbar and it's accessible at your fingertips!

The Following User Says Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
yep, thats exactly what i was saying. the easily-accessible slider you made obviates the need for this feature completely.

the only advantage that a touch-exposure-selector has is that it makes it so that you dont need to have any idea what exposure means to use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
yep, thats exactly what i was saying. the easily-accessible slider you made obviates the need for this feature completely.

the only advantage that a touch-exposure-selector has is that it makes it so that you dont need to have any idea what exposure means to use it.
But you are an advanced user

Anyway, I will add it to my TODO list and try to find a way to do it.

The Following User Says Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:
Posts: 79 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Brisbane, AU
Originally Posted by MSameer View Post
I am also waiting for feature requests
1. Allow/support strftime(3) style formatting chars in the "Creator Name" field so you can put things like: `Copyright (c) %Y Steve Youngs'.

2. Release the GPS when cameraplus doesn't have the focus (Window manager focus, not camera focus). Or maybe release the GPS once the location data has been retrieved. Obviously cache it so you only need to do it once per invocation.

3. Go into a "standby" mode after a period of inactivity like the stock Harmattan camera does. Preferably with a user-configurable timeout.

Thanks very much for cameraplus, MSameer, from what I've seen of it so far (installed it this morning) it is an excellent application. Awesome work, mate!

The Following User Says Thank You to SteveYoungs For This Useful Post:
Need to try this app! Got curious now.

edit: ouch the theme I'm using interferes with the interface. Don't see any text in menus in the viewfinder view.

Last edited by dannejanne; 2013-09-12 at 04:57.

The Following User Says Thank You to dannejanne For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SteveYoungs View Post
1. Allow/support strftime(3) style formatting chars in the "Creator Name" field so you can put things like: `Copyright (c) %Y Steve Youngs'.
That's a good one. I will try to sneak it into the next release

2. Release the GPS when cameraplus doesn't have the focus (Window manager focus, not camera focus). Or maybe release the GPS once the location data has been retrieved. Obviously cache it so you only need to do it once per invocation.
So the short answer is: I am trying to tackle this now and I think I have a fix.

The long answer is: This is a bit problematic. Assume the following case:
1) switch GPS and geotags on when is active
2) network connection dialog pops up
3) camera+ becomes non active and disables gps and geotags
4) network connection dialog disappears
5) camera becomes active again and switches on gps and geotags
6) repeat step 2.

I hope I managed to get a fix for that but let's see if it really fixes it.

3. Go into a "standby" mode after a period of inactivity like the stock Harmattan camera does. Preferably with a user-configurable timeout.
But that already happens. Do you have any issues with that?

Thanks very much for cameraplus, MSameer, from what I've seen of it so far (installed it this morning) it is an excellent application. Awesome work, mate!
Thank you Steve and thanks for your suggestions

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MSameer For This Useful Post:

Tags
?where is nemo?, thank you!