Hello,

Recently, I tried to plug headsets on my n900, but it didn't work.
There was a constant humming in the headphone (those kind of noise which means "Unplug me quicklyyyy !!! ").

I read somewhere the n900 jack follow the OMTP norme, and I've got a OMTP "stereo headphone + microphone" adapter.
I've got a CTIA <-> OMTP adapter too.

If I only plug the headphone on the phone, it works well (but I don't have a microphone)
If I plug the headphone+microphone using the OMTP adapter, it hums loudly and it's unusable.
If I plug the headphone+microphone using the OMTP adapter + CTIA<->OMTP adapter, it hums loudly and it's unusable too.
If I plug the headset sold with the phone, it works.

How does the n900 jack work ?
Is there a way to plug any headset on it ?

Posts: 283 | Thanked: 276 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ uk or @Pai,Mae Hong Son, Thailand
@Bearserker
I've been wondering about that for sometime too!
Bump for you..

The Following User Says Thank You to macey For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by Bearserker View Post
Recently, I tried to plug headsets on my n900, but it didn't work.
There was a constant humming in the headphone (those kind of noise which means "Unplug me quicklyyyy !!! ").

How does the n900 jack work ?
Is there a way to plug any headset on it ?
List of compatible wired headsets
http://wiki.maemo.org/N900_Accessori...s.2FHeadphones

Yes the N900 uses the proper OMTP standard
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phone_...#Mobile_phones

The only way to use the if-fone style ones would be to make an adapter cable to switch the ground and mic pins.

I have used a set of WH-205 with no issues for a long time.

Edit--
I see you are trying to use an OMTP adapter maybe this is faulty?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Thx for your answers !

Yes I use an OMTP adapter : this one !
But as I said before, it doesn't make my standard computer headset work.

Why is there a list of compatible headset ?
If the phone follows the OMTP standard, with the appropriate adapter, every headset should work, shouldn't it ?

And an additionnal question : is it possible the problem comes from the TV-out signal ?
(I don't even understand on which part of the jack, the TV-out signal pass through).

Last edited by Bearserker; 2014-07-16 at 08:52.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
The TV out signal shares the pin with the microphone input. The phone tells the difference and switches accordingly based on the impedance on that pin. So there is a remote possibility, although not very likely, that a very weird headset or dodgy adapter may be detected wrongly and get the video signal pushed to the microphone, but that should not result in strange noises in the headphone speakers. It is more likely that your adapter is just plain wrong. What you describe sounds like a grounding issue. Possibly the mic and gnd pins swapped around.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
I have the same problem using some headphones with microphone included, in some models like the pop from coloud if you keep the microphone button pressed they will work without problems, but you can't use that button and i didn't tested the microphone.
In other cases like the earpods from mac you should leave the plug half way out and the noise will disappear and the will work (did't tested the button and the microphone).
And another models, like the WH-701 from nokia if you plug them, the phone will no recognise them and the music will come through the speakers, but if you plug only the first part of the plug and leave it for a second, a headphone icon should appear on the status bar of the phone then you can plug them for complete and the will work (all the buttons on the microphone will not work and i didn't tested the microphone).

Yes, i don't speak english =P

The Following User Says Thank You to unnamedXD For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It is more likely that your adapter is just plain wrong. What you describe sounds like a grounding issue. Possibly the mic and gnd pins swapped around.
Exactly, I believe so too.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
What you describe sounds like a grounding issue. Possibly the mic and gnd pins swapped around.
That's what I thank firstly.
Then, I tried to use an OMTP <-> CTIA adapter (I own this thing) but it did the same noise.

So maybe the adapter is faulty. I'll try with another one (I bought two adapters, so I'll try the second one).

Originally Posted by unnamedXD View Post
And another models, like the WH-701 from nokia if you plug them, the phone will no recognise them and the music will come through the speakers, but if you plug only the first part of the plug and leave it for a second, a headphone icon should appear on the status bar of the phone then you can plug them for complete and the will work
Do you mean, the detection procedure based on the impedance doesn't work with every headset, but it's eventually possible to trick it (by plugging half of the jack, etc.) ?

Last edited by Bearserker; 2014-07-16 at 14:27.

Do you mean, the detection procedure based on the impedance doesn't work with every headset, but it's eventually possible to trick it (by plugging half of the jack, etc.) ?
yes, at least on my phone
I don't have another n900 to test, i dont even know anybody with a n900

Tags
headset