Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
@vililikku: Thanks for the idea. Could you tell me what "orphan" config files are still present? Also, for logging, I might turn it off in a later release, but since this is beta it's helpful to have logs. You can turn them off if you want.

@Capn_Fish: When I get a chance I'll put together a WEP test network, I guess.

Could anyone with WEP working share their /etc/network/interfaces file or the commands they use to manually start networking?

-John

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Silly-Con Valley
Ok I've got a working wep.

my /etc/network/interfaces.

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
wireless-essid {my essid}
wireless-key { my hex key }

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

////////////////

Then to start I run
$> ifup wlan0

and it starts up. Only thing I don't yet have is a way of making it vary (since I do move around a lot.)

I will try that.

Do you have an N800 or an N810?

EDIT: No good, same issue: dhclient just keeps sending a request to 255.255.255.255.

Last edited by Capn_Fish; 2008-05-26 at 02:23.

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
@vililikku: Thanks for the idea. Could you tell me what "orphan" config files are still present?
I'm not sure, because I removed them manually by Synaptic. But you can see them by Synaptic.

Every printer applications (like cups) must remove too, I think.

I just installed cellwriter to my Debian. It has both hand writing recognition and miniature on-screen keyboard. It seems to function fairly well although the text recognition is a bit slow. With a 10 minutes test experience I recommend it to n800 users.

Last edited by Pellervo Kässi; 2008-05-27 at 11:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pellervo Kässi For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I played with cellwriter a bit; not really usable in OS2008. The handwriting recognition is slow enough that it is faster to peck out the text on the onscreen keyboard with the stylus, mainly because my touch screen is just flaky enough that it cuts in and out at crucial moments, forcing me to redraw a lot of the letters (No, I meant "a" not "?"). Maybe you don't have that problem under booted Debian? I saw someone mention that the keyboard doesn't stutter as badly for them when running Debian instead of OS2008.

Try Diablo....

It's really hugely better on stylus input; I didn't realize how bad it was till I was quad-booting; suddenly Diablo was working just fine (as I'd thought Chinook was), but either of my Chinook installs were painful. This goes for tapping the stylus-board or writing, and for either orientation. I haven't played with Debian near enough yet, but I am habitually running Diablo (sweet terminal and input) and chrooting to Chinook (SDK works, and unlimited /tmp/).

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
Try Diablo....
Sorry, try what? I can't seem to find that on any of the official download sites. There's a directory in the repository, but it's been locked by a password. It's almost as if they didn't want us to have it yet or something.

Running heavy programs isn't possible with the standard install of debian because there is no swap configured.

To check the amount of free memory run:
Code:
free -m
One can create a swap-file into the rootfs and toggle it on / off with swapon swapoff commands. Another option is to create an independent swap-partition. I activated swap followingly:

1. Created a swap-partition to my sd-card (I used Linux-laptop with sd-card reader, but this can be made with fdisk or parted straight in Debian).

2. I had to find out what is the address of my swap partition:
Code:
fdisk -l |grep swap
Lists all disks in the system labeled "swap".

3. To activate swap I edited file /etc/swap:
My swap partition was /dev/mmcblk0p1 so i edited line starting with this line, changing it to following:
Code:
/dev/mmcblk0p1        swap        swap         defaults  0 0
Note: fstab is very strict on tabs and spaces so check the right formation from a more accurate source!

Result: Right now I'm running Abiword on one workspace and webbrowser on another with virtually no lag.

free -m says: mem used 121 / 123, swap used 41 / 501

Meaning that my 500 mt swap is propably sufficient

Last edited by Pellervo Kässi; 2008-05-28 at 08:31. Reason: Improved readability

Originally Posted by Capn_Fish View Post
I will try that.

Do you have an N800 or an N810?

EDIT: No good, same issue: dhclient just keeps sending a request to 255.255.255.255.
I have the same problem with my n800. On an unprotected wlan I get it connecting running ifup wlan0 --force. Haven't tried it yet with WEP.

Tags
debian, deblet