Active Topics

Notices

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
@malkavian, I understand your concern, but as far as I've read the Whatsapp implementation, it doesn't "upload" your phonebook to Whatsapp servers. It just checks the availability of your contacts to filter which ones use Whatsapp and which ones don't. This also allows to show the different status of your contacts (some people edit their status).

So far contact synchronization is not implemented so Yappari is showing all your contacts even though they are not Whatsapp users (and I think it's bad like that).

Since you registered with a false IMEI you need to re-register your real IMEI with peterbjornx's port to use Yappari.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 146 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Antwerp Belgium
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

And remember: ONLY FOR CURRENT USERS OF THE JAVA PORT.
Thx Scorpius for your post
I've been using the java port version for a few days
Installed Yappari and it workes great, does all you mentioned, looking forward to the contact syncronisation
surfing the web, navigate, chat, ttweet, email, scan, hack, share, tweak...
.....................and you can also use him to make a call

The Following User Says Thank You to peter2p For This Useful Post:
I have a whatsapp registered number. When I open your app, it says "connected" for a split second and disconnects immediately. Solution?

@peter2p congrats for being the first successful Yappari user!

@patlak did you register that Whatsapp number using your N900? Because if you registered it using another phone it won't work.

Since I haven't implemented the registration yet you have to register your N900's IMEI using peterbjornx's Java port (link in the first post). You can do it from your PC double-clicking on the jar and selecting "Voice method" without going through the hassle of installing that in the N900 which can be pretty frustrating.

To know your IMEI just dial *#06# in your N900.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Posts: 461 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao (Basque Country [Spain])
@malkavian, I understand your concern, but as far as I've read the Whatsapp implementation, it doesn't "upload" your phonebook to Whatsapp servers.
Yes it does. For cheking whatsapp users in your phonebook it needs to send all that data to Whatsapp Inc. servers and it saves all that data and updates it (I supose that every time the program is openned data is resent (so in most mobiles when mobile is rebooted). And that data could be sold. And Whatsapp privacy policy could change without telling about it to the users (wich is ilegal in Spain and maybe in all Europe and other countries). Did you read Whatsapp privacy policy? For me is unaceptable.

So far contact synchronization is not implemented so Yappari is showing all your contacts even though they are not Whatsapp users (and I think it's bad like that).
Well, then I only have to remove international prefix to the ten contacts I have with it and add it to the contacts I know that have whatsapp. You forgot to reply one of my questions. Will you implement an option to not sync contacts when you implement synchronization? Pleaseee (Showing a nice-guy face. XDDD).

The Following User Says Thank You to malkavian For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by malkavian View Post
Yes it does. For cheking whatsapp users in your phonebook it needs to send all that data to Whatsapp Inc. servers and it saves all that data and updates it (I supose that every time the program is openned data is resent (so in most mobiles when mobile is rebooted). And that data could be sold. And Whatsapp privacy policy could change without telling about it to the users (wich is ilegal in Spain and maybe in all Europe and other countries). Did you read Whatsapp privacy policy? For me is unaceptable.

OK lemme rephrase:

1.- Client uploads the whole phonebook? Yes.

2.- Whatsapp servers save that data? No, but they could if they want to.

What would you do then if you'd have an Android phone? just not use Whatsapp? I'm sure if you have an Android phone you'd be using it anyway.

Well, then I only have to remove international prefix to the ten contacts I have with it and add it to the contacts I know that have whatsapp. You forgot to reply one of my questions. Will you implement an option to not sync contacts when you implement synchronization? Pleaseee (Showing a nice-guy face. XDDD).
That will definitely work (removing + sign to the contacts).

Synchronization is part of the protocol, without it, it's incomplete. I don't think I could avoid the sync... (will think about it).

i entered my phone number in int format. then it says connecting for a while . then disconnected. i use the java port. infact i still hav it on my phone. the whenever i open yappari. it says at the bottom disconnected

Originally Posted by Mohammed Muid View Post
i entered my phone number in int format. then it says connecting for a while . then disconnected. i use the java port. infact i still hav it on my phone. the whenever i open yappari. it says at the bottom disconnected
Did you register your number with your real IMEI using the Java port or you used a fake IMEI?

To get your IMEI dial *#06#

If you forget the IMEI you used for the Java port, type this in your device as user (not root):
Code:
grep IMEI ~/.java/.userPrefs/org/peterbjornx/whatsapp/storage/prefs.xml
are they the same number?

Posts: 288 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Petaling Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia
It works... but can you add in a settings for a beep or vibrate when messages come in? Also, it'll be nice if the app can remember our conversations until we choose to clear it. Anyway, thanks again!

The Following User Says Thank You to ajack For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ajack View Post
It works... but can you add in a settings for a beep or vibrate when messages come in? Also, it'll be nice if the app can remember our conversations until we choose to clear it. Anyway, thanks again!
Yup, check the ToDo list in the first post and I think "Notifications" is in the top 3. Also "Chat history" is there. They will be implemented in order.

Since the Java port can't be used to register anymore (it fails with reg/req/code/sms/fail-old-version) I think I'm gonna implement registration first so everybody can use the app.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Scorpius For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
alpha, awesomeness, best_client, let_it_die, mumbai_dumbai, read_first_post, whatsapp