Active Topics

Posts: 275 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Raleigh, NC
Originally Posted by hordeman View Post
... (I thought OO and Firefox were included, for some reason.) Any way to get my maemo installed apps to show up?
I noticed that too with my install. I see OO in my Diablo menu though I don't think it opens. Also the Hex game in the menu does not launch. I have not done much with in Mer myself.

To become root in Mer, is sudo gainroot the command? Its not working for me. Is there an easyroot or become root for Mer?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
With Easy Debian / Easy Mer installed, to gain root in Maemo or your chroot, you just use the standard Debian/Ubuntu

Code:
sudo su -
I was kinda hoping for a new version of Mer to release my next version of Easy Mer with OOo and Firefox installed... It is taking longer than I expected for the Mer devs to release the next one.

Just watch. As soon as I release a new version based on .15, they'll release .16...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mfortner View Post
I noticed that too with my install. I see OO in my Diablo menu though I don't think it opens. Also the Hex game in the menu does not launch. I have not done much with in Mer myself.
OO and FF do open when .chroot is pointing to the easy debian image, but doesn't with the easy mer image. Though, looks like qole is saying that his next easy mer release WILL include OO and FF; so, looks like they aren't in the current easy mer images.

The Following User Says Thank You to hordeman For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
If you install OOo into Easy Mer, you will need to install openoffice.org-gtk to get it to properly integrate into Maemo. I also recommend that you install openoffice with apt-get install, and that you use the --no-install-recommends parameter to avoid downloading extra stuff that you don't need.

You will also probably need to follow the instructions in this post to get the File Open to not crash.

As for weird characters and strings showing on your menus, I made a suggestion here (everything after the second quote, the localization stuff) that might help with that.

I'm probably not going to be able to spend much time on this for the next few weeks. I'm pretty stressed about the Summit and stuff.

My goal is to have an Easy Debian/Mer/Ubuntu (something, not sure what is best yet) for Fremantle. I have it running in Fremantle now, but nothing special or flashy yet. The biggest hurdle is packaging the beast; I don't want to stick it into non-free again, so I'm going to try to figure out Py2Deb and use that.

Any help would of course be appreciated. But I've been doing this a long time and nobody's offered to get it packaged right for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
I don't know how to package anything for the life of me, but if I can help you in some other small way, let me know!

Originally Posted by qole View Post
As for weird characters and strings showing on your menus, I made a suggestion here (everything after the second quote, the localization stuff) that might help with that.
Uhm, that was the first thing I did after unpacking EasyMer, not a solution for me...
I guess I did something wrong, maybe I followed some advice that applied only for older versions of EasyMer...
I wiped my EasyMer partition, uninstalled everything chroot-related (EasyMer, EasyDebian and EasyChroot) and checked for left over files... later I'll try EasyMer again, wish me luck

Posts: 32 | Thanked: 74 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ South Australia
In the opening post, it says EasyMer is able to view java APPLETS with Epiphany and OpenJDK, Just wanted to confirm it definitely does APPLETS, and your not talking about normal Java SE applications (but I assume it does these too?). Also, I assume that under a normal mer install (not EasyMer), by installing Epiphany and then OpenJDK, you would be able to view applets on a full install as well?

Yes. You can run Java APPLETS, but not very quickly.

Here's an example applet in Epiphany that took 2 minutes to load:

Originally Posted by lemmyslender View Post
Qole -

I have an N800 as well. I just tried rebooting into the Easy-Mer partition. Network icon (2 computers) shows up. Clicking on it yields menu with no wireless networks listed, just grey text indicating device not ready.

I have quickly looked but don't see any Mer info on restarting the wireless connection. Also what is the root password for the image, or do I need to set one?
I also experience the same problem, both with mer 0.15 and 0.16. When I activate wireless, then I get the greyed-out "device not ready" message. Has anyone already successfully used a wireless connection? Thanks.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Yes, I successfully used my home wireless connection (WEP, Netgear, G) on .15 and .16. (But it wasn't Easy Mer, specifically, just Mer.)

Last edited by geneven; 2009-10-25 at 14:18.

Tags
chroot, easy debian, mer, testing, ubuntu