I had not appreciated that the real reason Nokia has not been successful in the US was due to the legal battle with Qualcomm over CDMA patents. As a result the US carriers were afraid to carry Nokia.

Now that this has settled there seems to be growing activity with the various carriers and Nokia Handsets. It also explains the aggressive position with the patent lawsuit against Apple.

The Path is now also clear for LTE,Step 5 and more choice for Joe Average.

Mike C

Last edited by mikec; 2009-10-23 at 07:04.

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
This thread gave me a sudden image of Viking Boats filled with Norse-dressed Finns landing at New York, and disembarking with tridents or swords in one hand and mobile phones in the other...

Thank you for my Friday giggle.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Shields and N900s

Mike C

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
Shields and N900s
That is most likely arrangeable, considered that I sometimes hang out with these people:

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by mikec View Post
I had not appreciated that the real reason Nokia has not been successful in the US was due to the legal battle with Qualcomm over CDMA patents. As a result the US carriers were afraid to carry Nokia.

Now that this has settled there seems to be growing activity with the various carriers and Nokia Handsets. It also explains the aggressive position with the patent lawsuit against Apple.

The Path is now also clear for LTE,Step 5 and more choice for Joe Average.

Mike C
could you provide some links.. I would like to understand it as well

or maybe they haven't invaded the us is cause they're just really bad at marketing!

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 128 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Somerville MA - USA
Originally Posted by bigr3dd0g View Post
or maybe they haven't invaded the us is cause they're just really bad at marketing!
Im one of the first to complain about the current marketing in the US, BUT I have to say, I like the marketing clips i see on you tube. They do a good job of showing off the devices. (not comparing them against a competitor). They have done some nice product placement, but then did not do a great job of following up on the opportunity they created (batman and the 5800 for example StarTrek was a bit better).

This may have just been the case only in the US. not sure.

the end thought is that Nokia does have decent marketing, not in anyway comparable to the marketing genius of apple (i have to give credit where it is due), We just do not get to experience it in the US media.

Originally Posted by matthewcc View Post
could you provide some links.. I would like to understand it as well
here is a nice article for starters

http://www.reuters.com/article/compa...22345120070817

http://www.forbes.com/2009/04/21/nok...ess-nokia.html

and some info on LTE
http://www.nokiasiemensnetworks.com/...ation-hardware

Last edited by mikec; 2009-10-23 at 08:54.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikec For This Useful Post: