With 1.2 and the MeeGo announcement, it's a bit of a busy day today Ofcourse that means there's no longer any excuse to wait for 4.6, so you C++ and Qt guys get to work

Originally Posted by lukash View Post
While checking out the list, I noticed one of the apps, Flipclock 1.0, has been in development since 2008. I already feel biased, as its my direct competitor, but who is going to judge what is a significant update? I think it should be clearly stated by the author on the wiki, checked by an unbiased person and most importantly taken into account by the voters. Otherwise it doesn't seem too fair...
I can understand where you are coming from, but at the same time the fact is that in the open source community many projects are carried on or are using parts of other projects. It wouldn't be fair to exclude these projects either. There is a part in the rules where it states that the entry.. actually i'll go fetch it..

"Already released software must have a substantial upgrade from previous releases to qualify for judging and must also contain a list of changes the author has made to the previous version.
"

So it is something that's taken into consideration with the entry. Once it comes to judging then everyone has to make their own opinion if the latest work done is worth their vote or not

Originally Posted by JMacalinao View Post
How about social or Internet-related apps? Do they belong in the Other category? I'm developing a "better" tumblr app for Maemo (I said better because I already saw an old python script from a year ago, although I'm starting from scratch with Qt), and I'm at a loss at how to categorize this.

I'm also planning to develop another app (to increase my chances ), but I'll hold up on that one until I'm finish with the tumblr app.
I must admit, the categories are something that worries me sometimes. Basically I took them from the app Categorise and a few online sources. What fits in one category or another is sometimes very subjective, I mean what about a desktop widget that records the surrounding noise and stores the file with GPS coordinates to the phone.. is that desktop app, a multimedia category app, or location catgeory app? lol

I asked a couple of pages back if it would be a good idea to have a competition committee who could help decide this sort of thing and any disputes, no response as yet though..

tumblr is a blogging app right? It kind of does a bit of everything (according to google..), I would put it in 'other' for the meantime anyway. If anyone is in any doubt I'd suggest adding it to what you feel is closest of the 6 categories, but please keep in the back of your mind there's a possibility that it could be moved..

b0unc3, I don't think it's likely we can bring in another category. In fact, 6 is probably too many. If you think of bounty split, for example, that's 6 "winners" to start off with. If you want to award 1st, 2nd, and 3rd then you got 18 shares to think of...What maybe could do is rename or better name one of the existing ones?

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-25 at 13:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
b0unc3, I don't think it's likely we can bring in another category. In fact, 6 is probably too many. If you think of bounty split, for example, that's 6 "winners" to start off with. If you want to award 1st, 2nd, and 3rd then you got 18 shares to think of...What maybe could do is rename or better name one of the existing ones?
I know what you mean... I've to admit that playing with categories is really hard
Also renaming a category is quite hard, the current categories seem to be good and many developers find the right place where their applications belong ... but sometimes someone will fails, but I will assume that with the 'other' category we are quite ok.

The Following User Says Thank You to b0unc3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Will donate 5USD as soon as I get a summer On-Campus Job.

Yeah, the amount is low but cant help, I am a student.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to resplendent2209 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post
Will donate 5USD as soon as I get a summer On-Campus Job.

Yeah, the amount is low but cant help, I am a student.
lol yeah I remember those happy student days, $5 would feed and clothe me for a week.. or well it had to do

Any amount is very welcome indeed, if you find out later than you can afford it then let me know and I'll add you to the list. If the summer job doesnt work out then don't sweat it, spend your free time learning some coding instead.. and throw $10 in the next comp when you're rich and famous with your new fancy Qt coding skills

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
kojacker: are there already news regarding the maemo.org paypal account?

The Following User Says Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
kojacker: are there already news regarding the maemo.org paypal account?
I have heard nothing new about it, I was wondering if you got a reply to the email you sent?

Reminds me Im also waiting on a thread title change..

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I've sent Randy a new mail.
Should we use a private paypal account, if it doesn't work with the maemo.org one?
We need to open donations as soon as possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zehjotkah For This Useful Post:
Posts: 30 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2010 @ @Netherlands
I also want to donate 20 dollar. Please let me know where I can pay for this veryvery good idea to hold a competetion of coding.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jacobkorf For This Useful Post:
I've sorted out my paypal account, so I will also donate $20.

My attempt at getting an announcement on a Czech linux website was succesful: http://www.root.cz/zpravicky/soutez-...kaci-pro-n900/

The second link in the article leads to this thread.

Briefly, cos I don't have the time to translate it now, it introduces the competition and mentions the categories and that the 6 winners will get the trip to the Dublin conference from Nokia. It also says that although this is named "The First N900 coding competition", it is actually the second, the first one was organized on that website in january and the winner will get an N900 in about 2 weeks. I knew about that competition (sadly I missed the application deadline for it), should have told you guys to name this one "The Second"

The Following User Says Thank You to lukash For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jacobkorf View Post
I also want to donate 20 dollar. Please let me know where I can pay for this veryvery good idea to hold a competetion of coding.
Originally Posted by lukash View Post
I've sorted out my paypal account, so I will also donate $20.

My attempt at getting an announcement on a Czech linux website was succesful: http://www.root.cz/zpravicky/soutez-...kaci-pro-n900/
A billion thanks jacobkorf and lukash for the pledges, I'll add them to the lists. I'll send you everyone a pm, jacobkorf, when we get the paypal situation sorted

We're at $365, getting close to the magic $400. Then onto the magic $500, then the magic $1000000.. then.. then.. then.. then we're going to scrap the competition and buy Nokia instead! Please keep some suggestions coming in about how you would like to see the bounty split. I might run a poll on it if the discussion stays quiet, it's just to have some sort of consencus on it.

Thanks again Lukash, for getting our details on the Czech website.

Gosh.. i had no idea we weren't the first! Nobody wanted to tell us until now and spoil our fun I guess Well.. ok we're not the first one but we're the next first one hehe

Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
I've sent Randy a new mail.
Should we use a private paypal account, if it doesn't work with the maemo.org one?
We need to open donations as soon as possible.
Thanks for sending another mail. He's posted today in the forums, hopefully he's just behind on his mails

I wonder if there's some way we can push it, perhaps in the community section or brainstorm section? TBH I never venture much into there, Im not sure if a maemo.org paypal counts.. I guess it might. What do you think?

I agree we need to turn pledges into donations as soon as possible, I'd like to get something sorted or moving by the end of the month, else we'll do it privately just to keep the show on the road.. so to speak End of the month might help people too with pay days etc.

By the way, do you think we should set up a maemo.org competition repository for the entrants' applications?

Last edited by kojacker; 2010-05-26 at 11:25.