Hi Lpotter, its nice to see you here, after all the helping tips from you on the Zaurus forums.

Personally having developed on QT (for the Zaurus) and also used Python binding with Qt (PyQT) and now as I delve into developing for the IT using Python - persoanlly I feel Qt development is more easy and structured.

Also the huge documentation on the QT librarries on the Trolltech andother sites is a great help for newbies like me, whereas for GTK and Hildon documentation is rather harder to find.

Another issue si am running into is that setting up the environment for IT development is rather a detailed step adn a bit harder to navigate for newbies. For Qt on the other hand, it was a simple starightforward install of the QT and PyQT libraries and installations to get started - and it worked on both Windows and Linux as easily to setup.

But again, I am no expert to comment of the technical merits of any of the platforms, so please dont start a platform war over my post. It in no way is a GTK vs QT post. Its just my newbie experience that I mention.

Thinking about Motorola etc. looks like everybody forgot about device which will probably become most widely spread mobile Linux computer during this year - Asus EeePC. This is heavily customized KDE installation.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by pauljohn32 View Post
By the time we see "hello world"' based on QT for N800, I expect we will all have electronic brain implants and we will use telepathy to exchange data.
Actually, Qtopia already runs on the n800.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by lpotter View Post
Actually, Qtopia already runs on the n800.
Um, sorta. It sounds like you've successfully compiled it for the N800. At least you didn't say it runs well.

Quoting you:

We have had a n800 half done in sources in the Qtopia source code for sometime now.

Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
lpotter, if you have Qtopia running, you really ought to start a new thread on just that. (I see your signature shows you're affiliated with Trolltech.)
Well, once it is in a usable state, I will post more. There is lots of work remaining.

EDIT: gotta comment on this, too:

Originally Posted by pauljohn32 View Post
By the time we see "hello world"' based on QT for N800, I expect we will all have electronic brain implants and we will use telepathy to exchange data.
I'm already using telepathy to exchange data. It's part of the new RTComm framework.

Last edited by qole; 2008-04-22 at 19:26.