Active Topics

Posts: 1,306 | Thanked: 1,697 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Durham North-East UK
hello all,
just invested in a n800 used on the 'bay since it was cheap and ive wanted a NIT for years. but now im finding the resident bugs in the os primary ones for me being sound volume and battery life. workign on each of these one at a time heres the issues.

1. volume: i often use my mobile at work on a night to listen to music either via my own external speaker (some fairly powerful speakers i may add ) or via my workplaces internal audio system. now my phone is quite capable of driving both of these at a perfectly respectable level to isten to considering the noise in the place i work. whereas my n800 is not (far too quiet) BUT ive discovered the aumix trick to boost voulme here on the foum and it does seem to help no end with this but at the moment the aumix i have has to be launched from the x terminal which is more than a little annoying. so im wondering if anyone knows a way to add a menu item for running it?

also any other ways to seriously boost the headphone socket output voulme would be helpful they output is piped direct to speakers not headphones so its not going to damage hearing but has to be loud enough to be able to hear in a decent area and above lots of noise

2. battery: ok this one is likely just old age i suspect but i am lucky to get more than about 2 - 3 hours of decent usage out of it (wifi+gtalk+browsing+bit of fm radio at times) again i suspect this is just old age for the battery very likely but any suggestions are welcome to prolong it. turning off the fmradio applet does seem to have helped a little with this.

also 3rdly does anyone have any idea how to use bluetooth tether with a tmobile g1 from n800 ? i can tether via wifi but that eats my g1s battery a lot quicker

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
For adjusting max volume read this
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...589#post181589

The battery on these tablets takes a beating. Your best bet is to replace it. My 2 year old n800 barely makes it through the night any more. It lives on the wall charger now. I haven't replaced the battery, because I keep telling myself I'll have a new tablet in a few months.

Careful with the volume.

The Following User Says Thank You to mjc For This Useful Post:
volume as i saids not a huge issue due to fact it will be used with high powered external speakers/multispeaker overhead audio system) and will those mods boost volume for the inbuuile media player as i dont have mplayer installed or canola (just wiped device to cl;ean firmware to get rid of crap ive installed in last few days

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I don't know if it will help built-in player. There are links (use power search on the right) for boosting volume in mplayer and in canola. I don't see any reason for you not to install and use one of them, or one of the other music players. Start with mplayer.

Posts: 166 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Jun 2007 @ Hampshire, UK
Get an external battery pack, it will charge it while your using it and you can go on for days.

ok ive got a new question now...

ive setup a sip account (3 actually - one of which on my own server (local calls only) but none of them seem to work for video calls, i know the sip client i am calling supports video (its on my laptop which has webcam so it supports video but my n800 will not start the camera

I've not explored this myself, but my understanding is that video works only for N8x0 to N8x0, and maybe with Google Talk or Google Chat or something. It definitely doesn't work with Skype and think it won't with sip either.

well i just had a successful sip call with myself here WITH video

The Following User Says Thank You to dj_steve For This Useful Post:
Well, if that's not the most narcissistic, solipsistic activity I've ever heard of!

Seriously, that's great. With what clients, devices, etc.? That is, how did you do it?

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
solipsistic
Great word!