Posts: 271 | Thanked: 65 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Poland, Białystok
Yea windows is pretty slumpy, but so much stuff works only on it. Photoshop/other proffesional graphic software, of course games etc.

I personally just use dual booting.
Ubuntu as main + Win XP as support system.
Just great

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by johnel View Post
"WARNING!
This device may require basic intelligence, imagination and an IQ above double digits.

Failure to meet these requirements will hamper operation of device.

You may also suffer the following side-effects:
Nausea, loss of rational thought, increasing urges to rant about negative aspects of device and form ignorant opinions of a technical nature.

If symptoms persist seek immediate professional psychiatric help, sell n900 Windows machine and buy device more monkey friendly
"
Funny, it's the second time I quoted that - but I'd never thought I'd return it to sender...

Windows, like every other OS out there, has it's technical difficulties, so what? You don't see me asterisking about Ubuntu no longer recognising CDs in my DVD/CD drive, right?

Live with it, repair it with that basic intelligence you're advertising or simply get rid of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by Nathraiben View Post
Funny, it's the second time I quoted that - but I'd never thought I'd return it to sender...

Windows, like every other OS out there, has it's technical difficulties, so what? You don't see me asterisking about Ubuntu no longer recognising CDs in my DVD/CD drive, right?

Live with it, repair it with that basic intelligence you're advertising or simply get rid of it.
Maybe I should have put the word "humour" in the title.

I'm actually concerned by the number of people who have taken the rant seriously.

BTW: Thanks for quoting my comments.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 267 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Austria
Maybe I should have put the word "humour" in the title.

I'm actually concerned by the number of people who have taken the rant seriously.
You don't expect people to not believe you're serious in a forum where rants like those make up 90% of the content by now?

Especially not when 49% of the people posting are either so anti-Linux that it makes you seriously fear for Torvalds' life and 49% are militant Linux fanatics to an extend that makes me fear for my OWN life because of that little world "Windows" in my profile.

But it's good to see you're still part of the "there's a fix for that, stupid" crowd, you got me seriously frightened there for a moment.

BTW: Thanks for quoting my comments.

Rather thanks for MAKING it, it's the most ingenious comment I've read so far, since it pretty much expresses my thoughts whenever I read another one of those "I'm so stupid I wonder how I even managed to find the power on button" rants...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nathraiben For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Actually, I often have a good chuckle at people who think they are some kind of expert because they know their way round Windows (the "OS" not the common 4-sided glass apertures in many buildings).
Did you ever meet someone that knows a few CLI commands? They actually think they're hackers!

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
I find Windows is good for only charging the phone.
Every time I plugged the phone in it gets recognized but neither drive gets a Drive letter, yet USB flash drives get give the next availible letter, so why give my phone a letter that allready taken.
Fixed that, but I prefer SSH server and WinSCP to connect as you can see the entire phone.

Ahh yes MSDOS I remember - Overlaying managers to cram your bloating program into 640K ram, 16 colors, Norton Commander... those were the days.

Oh and yes "Option Explicit" means "Don't compile sloppy code"

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
The worst thing is that the Windows OS's user interface never appear in a logical way to the user. Since Vista and 7 it got really worse. Everything feels backwards. They try to hide things from the user, even things that once even was good and made some sence. I completely understand your frustration, its so sad that most computers use this joke of an operating system just because of luck and offensive marketing strategies. It is the proof that this is not a good world. The worst thinkable evils, religion, windows and medieval x86 based architectures are still ruling peoples minds. Can it get much worse? If I would have been religious (and not an atheist), I'd be sure that I was already suffering in hell.

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
I Open Internet Explorer navigate to Facebook and then Windows announces "Explorer has encountered a problem and will shut down because the site you were visiting may contain harmful content".
Nice rant. Actually though this sounds more like some sort of spyware infestation which could be causing all of the issues you were seeing.

Might want to give a good anti-virus / anti-spyware program a go.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by dannycamps View Post
Nice rant. Actually though this sounds more like some sort of spyware infestation which could be causing all of the issues you were seeing.

Might want to give a good anti-virus / anti-spyware program a go.
OOh while we're on errors..don't you just love this one: "Windows has encountered an unknown error"..

Or the infamous Win 98 error: "You have performed an illegal operation. The police are on their way."

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
oh my, someone doesnt know how to use windows. am i supposed to feel sympathy for you now?
you are using internet explorer? you know, sometimes the biggest bug is not IN the computer, but sitting in front of it.

no problem at all here for me with using windows 7.

try ranting better next time.