Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Care to share the name/link?
Hmm, a quick google search gave me this link:

http://www.duropc.com/tab377.html

A fascinating (if rather expensive) tablet. Seems to match the given specifications...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Well, nearly match. Only one USB and only 1024x600. But the price tag - ouch! Not so interesting any more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
"ingenious ideas" in new devices, like the lack of wrist strap mount point
I guess that has a very good reason, "modern" devices are simply to flat to have any mounting points.
I find this an odd development: We're trying very hard to make our UIs more and more 3D, up to the point of sacrificing usability. And at the same time we're trying also very hard to make the devices using these UIs more and more 2D, also up to the point of sacrificing usability. I'd imagine it would save us a lot of trouble if we stopped both of these attempts.

Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Full Debian on anything that have capacitive screen would be quite pointless for everything out of console programs. Qole tried it on Harmattan, results were pityful "user experience".
I guess that might be true if you use absolute pointer positioning, like you typically would on a touch screen. However, if you use relative pointer positioning like on a laptop's trackpad I don't see why the inaccuracy of a capacitive screen should be a problem.
Think of the N900's/Jolla's touch screen as a transparent trackpad, that just happens to have the screen underneath it!
It would even give potential for increasing the pointer accuracy (at the slight expense of speed and intuitivity), regardless of the screen technology.

Originally Posted by pagis View Post
Someone mentioned IR, yes, useful but not essential, same thing with FM transmitter,
Where can I get certified for judging what's essential for others and what's not?
Might come in handy sometimes, though not necessarily when talking about smartphone features.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Just trying to understand. Would you explain your comment concerning capacitive screen
Capacitive screens tend(ed?) to have a lower "input resolution" than resistive screens.
Theoretically with the stylus I can control my N900 at pixel accuracy. Practically I get something between 3 and 5 pixels due to my shaky hand and not enough diligence during calibration.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
If I have to go a trip to Mars I will take N900 with me, no doubt. N9 or Jolla will stay at home ;-)
Quick reply...

Hey... That's an excellent idea... Though a village on the Moon is more realistic...

Question: would GPS positioning work in space? That's a two-fold question: will the hardware be able to hear the signals over such a distance (Earth-to-Moon or Earth-to-Mars), and will the software be able to process it properly (or was it programmed for on-Earth positioning?).

[Edit]
Navigation on the Moon on a weak signal from the GNSS
http://mapstor.com/news/digital-cart...-the-moon.html
http://porto.polito.it/2524884/
[/Edit]

Related question: which navigation software would be able to use this GPS position for on-Moon or on-Mars navigation - show you the maps, and such?

Oh, and do not forget the Moon dust! It's worse than sand. So, you need a very good dust tight case for N900 ;-)

And Mars is hot, I expect. Sooo... Space-preparedness is an interesting topic. A challenging one :-)

Best wishes. Thank you.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Per aspera ad astra...

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2014-12-10 at 22:26. Reason: Navigation on the Moon on a weak signal from the GNSS

Originally Posted by wicket View Post
I'm not a systemd hater per se. After all, the problems it aims to solve are real problems worth solving. I just can't agree with their strategy on how they've gone about solving those problems. There are plenty of reasons why I'm not interested in systemd (see my sig for just a few of them) but I suppose the main problem I have with it is how everything is tightly coupled together. It's either their way or you can bugger off. For decades reliable systems have been built on the idea that components should be loosely coupled together (this is part of what Unix philosophy is all about). This idea still runs true today, just look at Amazon's recommendations for building a cloud infrastructure or look at how the architecture of a modern web browser has changed to become more secure and reliable. systemd throws this idea out of the window. They currently plan to make systemd a hard dependency on udev and I just cannot agree with that stance.
A respectable viewpoint. I appreciate the honest and straightforward answer. Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tigerroast For This Useful Post:
Posts: 160 | Thanked: 302 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Spain
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The wrist strap. Do not forget the wrist strap. It did not come as a standard but at least you can fit one and never worry about dropping the damn phone. It used to be a standard option but it has virtually disappeared from "modern" phones. Not sure why: it would not cost the manufacturers a penny.
It faded away because manufacturers decided you MUST replace the screen of your shi(n/t)y "smart"phone at least once during its lifecycle (upto 2 years, not more).

Boy, what can I say? EPIC......No, LEGENDARY......

Last edited by xanderx; 2014-12-10 at 22:42.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xanderx For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ade View Post
(ConnMan on Jolla gives me quite some disconnects)
Could you replace ConnMan with a different network manager on a Jolla? Sorry if it sounds like a stupid question, but I don't know if there's alternatives for ARM devices.

Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Question: would GPS positioning work in space? That's a two-fold question: will the hardware be able to hear the signals over such a distance (Earth-to-Moon or Earth-to-Mars), and will the software be able to process it properly (or was it programmed for on-Earth positioning?).
Yes and no.
GPS (and other GNSS systems) in principle work in space. LEOs (low earth orbit satellites) even use it for their own positioning.
The antennas of the GNSS satellites however are always pointed towards earth. So you still get signals even above the satellite orbit's, but only from the satellites on the other side of earth that are not blocked by earth itself. No idea how useful that is though.
I'm not sure if it will still work close to or on the moon but I'd think so (certainly not on its backside) but due to the distance you'd have to accept reduced accuracy.
You'll need professional receivers for this though, not consumer hardware like you'll find in smartphones or navis.

Earth-based GNSS won't work on or close to mars, regardless of its relative position to earth.
I've read about similar approaches by using different mars-orbiting satellites for rovers. But the accuracy won't be near anything you'd expect from GNSS as these satellites aren't made for it and there are by far not enough satellites up there for a complete system.

And Mars is hot, I expect.
"Hot" as in high temperature? No. It rarely exceeds 273K.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
And Mars is hot, I expect.
Much of the opposite, actually. It's further from the sun than Earth.

Edit: ninja'd

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 2,087 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Manchester
We've drifted OT here, but the Curiosity rover [1] used a relatively low powered CPU [2] (compared to the n900/Jolla), the major concern being whether or not it could deal with the high levels of radiation out there

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Curiosity_%28rover%29
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAD750

The Following User Says Thank You to mrsellout For This Useful Post: