Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Custodian View Post
I dont know why none of map apps written in python uses Mapnik(or other tools) for offline processing/generation for instance. It is working well on jolla, since this is python + postgresql.
To my mind - they are slow.
there is working Mapnik on the Jolla ? I only know about Marmisterzs heroic port for the N900 and haven't seen any working one for Jolla (I've tried to import some of the OpenSUSE Mapnik packages to my Mer OBS project but without much success in building them so far).

I'm asking because Mapnik is quite a beast, and definitely not just Python and Postgresql (which itself also does not yet run on the Jolla AFAIK) - there is boost, harfbuzz, cairo, freetype, libproj, ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by otsaloma View Post
Assuming this means a server running on localhost that looks and acts much like any online tile server, this would be what Poor Maps could use and could solve the often requested issue of offline maps. I'll add the necessary support in Poor as soon as I know what to add -- if you need a tester for preview releases, let me know.
Pretty much the exact same thing applies to me & modRana! And thanks a lot for embarking on this journey!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 747 | Thanked: 2,370 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
Python and Postgresql (which itself also does not yet run on the Jolla AFAIK) - there is boost, harfbuzz, cairo, freetype, libproj, ...
Postgresql is available.
You need only harfbuzz package to be builded and deployed. All other packages are already installed or present in default sailfishos repositories. And optional libproj, if you want faster projections.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
Progress on this?

The Following User Says Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 747 | Thanked: 2,370 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Moscow, Russia
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Progress on this?
Few alpha version was released for internal use. Meanwhile other native apps appeared(like MoNav), so development is not progressing further than my own needs.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Custodian For This Useful Post:
Few alpha version was released for internal use. Meanwhile other native apps appeared(like MoNav), so development is not progressing further than my own needs.
Well. I hope we will see a release

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
I also did monav-light based on the Monav Sailfish port(which unfortunately seems kinda inactive at the moment).

The monav-light project basically drops all the GUI/service/demon stuff and provides a simple CLI utility that consumes routing requests in JSON and returns routes as JSON. I plan to add monav-light support to modRana in the near future, so that offline routing can be finally done on (not only) Sailfish OS.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 602 | Thanked: 735 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Nantes, France
As Maps is already widespread and is now open source. Wouldn't be interesting to join your efforts guys on a single app, like Maps, to make quicker progresses?