Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
Yeah, I don't think it's a tough hurdle to jump ... but it's a hurdle that definitely needs to be jumped. That's all I'm saying :-)

Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
And, the funny thing for me would be if someone ported the actual Chrome browser to Android (the Android browser is not Chrome -- they're both webkit based, but they're not the same package). Then you could probably have the best of both worlds.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
thats mostly a interface issue, no?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Well, backend too - the android one is framebuffer-based.

Originally Posted by Architengi View Post
"computers need to get better. People want to get to their email instantly, without wasting time waiting for their computers to boot and browsers to start up. They want their computers to always run as fast as when they first bought them. They want their data to be accessible to them wherever they are and not have to worry about losing their computer or forgetting to back up files. Even more importantly, they don't want to spend hours configuring their computers to work with every new piece of hardware, or have to worry about constant software updates."
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2009/...chrome-os.html

I'm sure you know that you can create apps in any language, but it's easier to develop in some vs. others. Additionally, if you want a better look at Chrome's abilities look at 'Google I/O' presentations on Youtube. They have hardware accelerated graphics, etc. Looks great, but how they're gonna compete with MSFT is more interesting. Personally, I think they're gonna win this next frontier of corporate warfare: Domination of the 'Corporate Cloud'.

This is interesting because this is based on the web-cloud as data and app storage - easier installations, no more service packs. I'm sure users will love the experience.

Now the question is what are the development languages for Web?
* JavaScript and Ajax, Python, what else? Java?
C++ is not, or am I missing somethig?
Google is trying to get Chrome to run native x86 code => Google: native-client

They're spending some hundreds of millions (? Can't find the article now) of dollars getting businesses to switch over to Google Apps. Washington D.C. is their flagship customer. Microsoft is spends a few billion annually keeping their biz partners happy.

Basically, this is a way for Google to quickly get people to start adopting their 'cloud' to store data/run apps. The future Google wants to see is one where everyone is storing data onto their servers be it emails, documents, etc. They have the political clout to get app developers to develop on their 'OS'. It's really a browser bundled with an OS, the browser is really so the next "3 billion" people who don't have Internet will be exposed to Google services.

Android is interesting with this whole thing, but Google doesn't have enough interest in it as it's a loss leader. They make no money off it. I think Chrome is particularly interesting in their Global Domination strategy, they're in a similar position MSFT was when they were shipping '95.

Just my 2 cents. I really need to write this down on my blog.