At this point, as far as I can tell, all efforts to run Android on the Nx0 depend on chrooting; I assume the existing rootfs is not suitable for direct booting from a stock or boot-menu-ized initfs, as at least power management is missing...

If anyone's had success that way, I'd certainly like to hear of it; but supposing that's not practical, it seems like making a very stripped ITOS (any version, but probably Diablo)-based rootfs that chroots up Android could work nicely.

This gets two benefits:
  1. Get to Android faster, as you don't have to wait for Diablo to start, and then shut most of it back down.
  2. Stepping-stone to combining whatever parts of ITOS are necessary into the Android rootfs, and directly booting.
  3. Might reduce memory consumption from any unkillable things, but I'm not real sure we do gain here...

I'm not sure I follow exactly what qwerty12's planning for the FB update default, but whether automatic or manual, that needs switched at boot time for one of ITOS and Android, so that change could be made from initfs (bootmenu), or from the ITOS/stub rootfs, as appropriate.

Anyone know what elements of ITOS are still used? (A ps -e after stopping everything, but before starting Android would be a good start...)

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Unfortunately, the current SDK is unsuitable for booting. the reason whi this is a problem is because at the moment, Android is missing an asental part called the Android-runtime this component is verry, verry important for allowing Android to run nativly on the device. so untill Google releases a runtime, later on this year, we will not be able to run this OS nativly.
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I think Benson had in mind booting with stripped down Diablo and automatically booting into Android instead of loading hildon-desktop and such...

Posts: 223 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ home
That's what I was thinking as well, but I don't think I would be in any position to follow through. Can it be done? I suspect so...

--Jon

I'm gonna give it a shot, once I get my main systems rebuilt on a new SD that hopefully crashes less often...

I was just hoping for a little data meanwhile, as I'd like to jump straight into stripping things down when I get to it.

And b-man, you're not quite right AFAICT, because the elinux Android on OMAP wiki says that Android (specifically, an SDK-derived rootfs, like we're chrooting to) can be booted directly, on some hardware; of course, we don't boot anything directly, as it all comes through the initfs and pivoting to the eventual rootfs, which rules that approach out completely for ITs (without getting very fancy)...

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Btw, fb update is not required to be switched at boot time and is working here like a charm - i have working mplayer and Android. I was thinking more about trying to get the latest m5 running though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 549 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Bowling Green Ohio (united states)
Originally Posted by Benson View Post
I'm gonna give it a shot, once I get my main systems rebuilt on a new SD that hopefully crashes less often...

I was just hoping for a little data meanwhile, as I'd like to jump straight into stripping things down when I get to it.

And b-man, you're not quite right AFAICT, because the elinux Android on OMAP wiki says that Android (specifically, an SDK-derived rootfs, like we're chrooting to) can be booted directly, on some hardware; of course, we don't boot anything directly, as it all comes through the initfs and pivoting to the eventual rootfs, which rules that approach out completely for ITs (without getting very fancy)...
You got a strong point their, when i posted that reply i did not think about the fact that everything booted thrue initfs and you don't need the Android-runtime at all. sorry, how follish of me.

(note to self, think before you post )
My ports/creations/hacks: GNOME (for Deblet), Cdeb2», Ubuntu, playable flash games in the "Get Started" app, DBS, ect...

enhanced fedora port has been canceled in favor of NITDebian (TBA)

Last edited by b-man; 2008-07-04 at 00:45.

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
You got a strong point their, when i posted that reply i did not think about the fact that everything booted thrue initfs and you don't need the Android-runtime at all. sorry, how follish of me.

(note to self, think before you post )
You could probably boot it with the linuxrc stuff from my bootmenu patches quite easily - and maybe packages from Deblet.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

Tags
android, bootmenu