Posts: 528 | Thanked: 895 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Moscow, Russia
Most of the timings are real crap. Here's mine: (mine (on-demand))
Amazon: 26s (26s)
CNet: 24s (32s)
Digg: 14s (36s?!)
Engadget: 36s (44s)
Google news: 11s (11s)
MicroPCTalk: 15s (20s)
Myspace: 11s (16s)
NYTimes: 13s (36s again?)
Pocketables: 21s (39s...)
Youtube: 19s (18s)

The article doesn't seem like a real attempt at testing anything, just something to get pageviews.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
the problem is that it can be affected by adds loaded (flash, javascript), wifi signal quality at the moment (or a bothersome router/ap with no understanding for power saving signals), or just about anything else network or server related...

Originally Posted by jp6891 View Post
i am so selling my n810. I dont see any reasons to keep it. can someone tell me which way is n810 better than both those products?
Originally Posted by Johnx View Post
Actually it's pretty difficult to tell you which is better objectively. I can tell you subjectively why I think my n800 is better than the archos5 or iphone: It's more open and hackable. If you want us to help you figure out what's better for you, then you at least need to say what you plan to do with the device. Web surfing? movie watching?

-John
I do mostly web surfing in school. I was in the Apple store few days ago, played with the itouch. The screen response was so much better than the N810. itouch is cheaper with a great gui, more memory and faster (based on this article) are the enough factors to convince me to change my device. I own Archos A2 for watching videos.

Last edited by jp6891; 2008-10-19 at 16:40.

Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
People feel comfortable using different devices and systems.
On the desktop I prefer windows, for my handheld I like my Nokia.

The iphouch devices certainly have their skills and I take my hat off to Apple for producing such a great end user product.

However I don't see why the nokia cannot also have shinyness and speed and ways to differentiate itself from the crowd.

We have a lot of hardware on this device and features which let us do a whole lot more than the restricted locked in devices, and the next generation is looking to be even stronger.

I would say the future is bright for this platform, this community are innovators and we will continue to leave our mark in numerous areas for years to come.

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by jp6891 View Post
itouch is cheaper with a great gui, more memory and faster
And the resolution / 4

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
hmm, now that i think about it, i would love to see the noscript firefox plugin ported over, or something similar.

Posts: 204 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Berlin, Germany
Archos 5's Opera takes indefinitely to load local files (it refuses to do that!)

Posts: 1,213 | Thanked: 356 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ California and Virginia
Originally Posted by gammer View Post
Archos 5's Opera takes indefinitely to load local files (it refuses to do that!)
But it has an option to run local Flash Apps, no? They must be running through the browser right?

In other news, just look at some of the crap Archos pushes on you to "complete" the product:

DVR Station ($100)
DVR Snap-On (N/A)
Mini Dock ($30)
Battery Dock ($50)
GPS car holder (N/A)
Helmet Cam (N/A)
FM Remote (N/A)

and the plugins:

Cinema, Video Podcast, and HiDef Video ($30 for all of them)

Seriously, if added in the functionality of these things INTO the product, and sold it for 100 dollars more, it would be SO much better. Now, there are 4 docking solution, and a bunch of confusing stuff, that most people would be overwhelmed. And, going by the current prices and the prices for the last generation, the

DVR Dock + GPS + FM radio + Camera + Plugins = $300 or more!!!

So, if you want the full functionality, it is over $700 (with taxes)!!

Originally Posted by Thesandlord View Post
But it has an option to run local Flash Apps, no? They must be running through the browser right?

In other news, just look at some of the crap Archos pushes on you to "complete" the product:

DVR Station ($100)
DVR Snap-On (N/A)
Mini Dock ($30)
Battery Dock ($50)
GPS car holder (N/A)
Helmet Cam (N/A)
FM Remote (N/A)

and the plugins:

Cinema, Video Podcast, and HiDef Video ($30 for all of them)

Seriously, if added in the functionality of these things INTO the product, and sold it for 100 dollars more, it would be SO much better. Now, there are 4 docking solution, and a bunch of confusing stuff, that most people would be overwhelmed. And, going by the current prices and the prices for the last generation, the

DVR Dock + GPS + FM radio + Camera + Plugins = $300 or more!!!

So, if you want the full functionality, it is over $700 (with taxes)!!
for the older Generation 5 Archos, you have to pay for the 'web' browser plugin as well:-(. However, the Archos 5 was intended to be a personal multi- media player and not a more generic device like n8xx. I bought the Archos, the web plugin, the DVR and the mini-dock, before I saw the light:-)