Notices

I have both KMplayer and SiB player installed..

all jerky xvid videos play fine for me in SiB (compared to the built in player and KMplayer, which do not run some avi/xvid files very smoothly)

Last edited by extent; 2010-04-09 at 21:57.

Posts: 546 | Thanked: 85 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Winnipeg, Canada
Originally Posted by extent View Post
I have both KMplayer and SiB player installed..

all jerky xvid videos play fine for me in SiB (compared to the built in player and KMplayer, which do not run some avi/xvid files very smoothly)
If I'm not mistaken SiB uses only mplayer as it's backend while Kmplayer has it an one of it's options. Maybe your Kmplayer isn't set to use mplayer? HTH
N800 | 2 x 8gb OCX SD | Boxwave Anti-glare SS | PDAir book-style case
Holux M-1200 bluetooth GPS | iGo 4-row bluetooth keyboard | Linksys USB 10/100 ethernet | Plantronics Voyager 855 BT Headset

The Following User Says Thank You to grog For This Useful Post:
The stuttering videoplayback is gone, I fixed this by using this program
http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG4_Modifier . And unpack the stream (takes about 20sec in total per video file). Thank you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to andkgvd For This Useful Post:
Thank you ... it is somehow fixed ,playback improved a lot ,but one questions is there a software that can do a batch of files rather than using MPEG4_Modifier for each file I want to add.
Thank you.

andkgvd nice solution, i took the other way, overclocked the N900 to 900Mhz and using SiB atm plays most content fine...

Still maybe some code optimization would be indeed the better way...

I agree with one of the earlier posts... anyway to unpack the bitstream on the N900 directly?

For instance if I'd used Transmission on the N900 to download an avi and didnt have access to a computer with MPEG Modifier?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Originally Posted by Memolipd View Post
using mplayer + sip seems to fix the problem.
can you expand on this?

what is sip? how does it relate to this problem?

thx

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 32 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Southern Oregon Coast
Originally Posted by sierrafoxtrot View Post
Dropped frames upon playback of your xvid "encodes"? It's probably due to packed bitstream output from the encoder ...

The fix is pretty simple, download this program

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MPEG4_Modifier

open up your file, if it says packed bitstream, tick the box saying unpack. there's no re-encoding so it takes seconds to do this.

Voila!

I am assuming you have to hit the save button and make sure it accepts the changes to the file in order for it to work?

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 69 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by coosbaytv View Post
can you expand on this?

what is sip? how does it relate to this problem?

thx
Sip is a front-end for Mplayer, i.e. it is an alternative player. If you have Mplayer installed already, I'd install Sip as well, it's fairly small. It takes a different approach than KMplayer, both have their advantages.

I do not agree that it is a fix though, at best a workaround. But even then, Mplayer does not play everything well either, sometimes the image lags behind the sound.

So what would people say is the "optimum" combination of resolution, audio codec, video codec and container?

It seems to me that the limited support of b-frames in avi excludes it as candidate, and mkv is cited as "limited support", but it isn't clear what those limitations are.

I had been using
Code:
ffmpeg -i "$file" -s 800x480 -vcodec libx264 -vpre default -vpre baseline -crf 22 -acodec libfaac -ab 128k -ac 2 -f matroska "${file%.*}mkv
as suggested by EzInky, and playback is smooth, but every once in a while I get (in the middle of playing a vid) the "media unsupported" error, requiring a restart. So this is h264 baseline, ac3 and mkv, at 800x480.

I had attributed this error to mkv.

avi + xvid + mp3/ac3 hits issues with b-frames or packing - I realise we can unpack, but if I need to process the videos anyway, I may as well transcode to whatever is best.

Perhaps h264 baseline, ac3 and mp4 at 800x448 is best (for 16:9)?

And what about upscaling - if the content is already below the physical resolution of the n900, is it better to upscale beforehand or is the performance impact negligable enough to let the n900 do it?

I have tested a few varients, but every time the media player failed, I had to reboot so it was taking forever to transcode then test (I know now that I can restart by killing /usr/bin/mafw-dbus-wrapper mafw-gst-renderer, but if someone has already decided on an optimum then I don't need to go through it again).

http://wiki.maemo.org/Video_encoding