Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
It's been discussed to death, search around. The bottom line is really that OS2008 is the only way to go moving forward.
OTOH, you might want to wait for Diablo; I wouldn't really recommend it, but the N810WE is supposed to come out July 9th (thanks, engadget), so you could wait till end of July or so and go straight to Diablo if you think OS2008 really looks bad.

Originally Posted by mgstevens View Post
Just ordered N800 online - yay!
I use a Mac (Intel/Panther)
Panther with an intel mac, really?

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ BC, Canada
Ah, the power of suggestion... I had been working on a client's Mac - running Panther - in the hour before writing the post. Make that Leopard.

[QUOTE=GeneralAntilles;175793]It's been discussed to death, search around. The bottom line is really that OS2008 is the only way to go moving forward.

While keeping up with the latest OS makes sense 'moving forward' I tend to stay behind the bleeding edge folks and wait for things to become largely functional with new release technology before adoption. My question was about how functional the apps for 2008 are at this point.

And, with all due respect, I have tried a number of search strings for os2007 vs os2008 and have seen very little discussion. Is there a link or a search string I should know about?

Again, appreciate any help offered.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
The thing is, N810 is getting more popular than N800 (if it has not done so already) and N810 runs OS2008 (unless you want to unpack FIASCO image for some odd reason) so you would be missing out on developers work who have a N810 and run OS2008 like most of us N800 owners.

Well, I've moved from 'academic' to actual as I am now working with the hardware in hand. I can't get the Nokia protected downloads page at: http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_770.php to accept the ID from my 800 so I can download the OS software.

If I could get that file, I could move on to deciding b/w GUI or console on the Mac. Pointless without the OS.

Is this available anywhere else? Or am I missing a trick here?

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by mgstevens View Post
http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_770.php to accept the ID from my 800 so I can download the OS software.
Anybody else see a problem here?

http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2008-05-08 at 04:40.

Got it... And hey, the entire realm of documentation on this process said 770, incl. the d/l link from the flasher site, so excuuuuse me.

Look, thanks for the answer. Hopefully, a year from now when I see a post from a new-b trying to make sense of this poorly communicated process, I can be a bit more understanding than you come across as being. Of course, you did give me the answer I needed, and I'll likely need more answers, so I best not be too *****y and remember to express my sincere apprciation. If it wasn't for this community, there's no.way I would have considered this move at all.

And this whole post - written on the 800, with OS2007. Time to change that.