Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Nicholasville, Kentucky, USA
Ok, so we're talking about .17 while we're waiting for TI drivers.

Where did .16 go? I didn't see that anywhere?

I think American phone companies are in a conspiracy against us...
But that's just my opinion.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
.16, yeah. That's the question I was afraid to ask. Where is it?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
0.16, what's that?

Kidding, - we will be pushing out 0.16 this week. Our release schedules seemed to intermix with a OpenSUSE release and hence there was 20000 packages in build queue..

0.16 will be a transitional release just to get it out there before we make the leap. There -will- be bugs (in app manager, etc).

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Distribution is not really a problem, we can always do clickthrough downloads if some special EULA is required (this is very similar to what was the case with the Intel ethernet drivers on the NSLU2, so not really unprecedented).

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Wisconsin
What exactly are they going to release drivers for.. And, are they going to be binary only?

ie, gps5300 chip from TI, How to access and program the IVA, Jazelle instruction set, PowerVR, ...

Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by wsuetholz View Post
What exactly are they going to release drivers for.. And, are they going to be binary only?

ie, gps5300 chip from TI, How to access and program the IVA, Jazelle instruction set, PowerVR, ...
If I understood its open source driver for hardware acceleration hence OpenGL ES.

Together with the open sourced WiFi driver it will allow one to run more recent kernel. gps5300 (closed source), Jazelle (not supported by driver) are not related to this.

Jazelle works, see Javispedro's and my work. I don't believe it requires anything kernel related, it's just a coprocessor and some instructions to enter the mode.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Frank Banul View Post
Sorry, the drivers probably support 800x480, but the 3d accelerator can not render to the LCD frame buffer directly because it's an off chip controller, to my knowledge, thus limiting the frame rate. I thought this was the reason that Nokia didn't support the 3d hardware from the start on the N8x0 platform.

Frank
Can the 3d accelerator render to a virtual 800x480 screen on his own framebuffer so that it is only needed to copy the data 1:1 from the PowerVR framebuffer to this special N8xx chip?
Or isn't the 3d accelerator able to render in a 800x480 screen?
In other words, is it necessary to render in a smaller screensize?

If not, how slow is the 1:1 copying process from the PowerVR framebuffer to the speczial N8xx chip framebuffer?

When copying a 800*480 screen @ 16 bit color depth, the size of the data will be allways constant.
In this case 750 kByte/frame.

So the question is, what is the bandwith between the PowerVR framebuffer to the special Nxx chip framebuffer?
If the bandwith is 22 MB/s it is fast enough to render 30 fps second, which is in my opinion enough.

But, is the PowerVR 3d chip able to work at 16 bit color depth?
As far as i know from the old Kyro 2 cards from the PC, these 3d chips allways rendert in 32 Bit color depth intern.

So the next qeustion ist, can we store 16 bit color depth data in the PowerVR framebuffer or is this allways 32 bit color dept data?
In the latter case, copying the data to the special N8xx framebuffer chip it would be much slower.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *** For This Useful Post:
3 month late, where is the driver?

Posts: 1,137 | Thanked: 402 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Catalunya
There was a (bad) reply to u2maemo and my reply to the reply.
Both disappeared.
I'd like to be notified of any censoring activity regarding my messages.Thank you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luca For This Useful Post: