Notices

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
It is also available here, without paying anything:

>> LINK <<

Ah... and it begins. The ritual eating of our young.

This will be followed by threads asking: "Why can't FOSS compete" or worse; "How come Apples iStore has so many apps available compared to OVI".

We can't stop piracy but we do have forum rules.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-10-23 at 17:13.

Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
Okay, then Stellarium Mobile IS actually open source?
Where can I download the source?

If you buy from OVI you only get this file. Assuming that OVI is legal, this package contains either the source, or a written offer for the source (3a, 3b in the GPL). In either case, further distributing the package (non-commercially) is legal (3a, 3c).
So, that site <Link removed pending decision. See page 1.> is yours then?

Last edited by xomm; 2010-10-24 at 02:08.

Please stop lying, YoDude. The package from <Link removed pending decision. See page 1.> is exactly as legal as from OVI. The fact that you would prefer that it would not be available does not make it piracy.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-10-24 at 02:09.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by zehjotkah View Post
Okay, then Stellarium Mobile IS actually open source?
Where can I download the source?
Did you read what I wrote?

Assuming OVI distributes this package legally, either the source is in the package, or it will be available from OVI for at least three years to any third party.

Look in the package. If the source is not there, ask OVI for the source.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney
If you buy from OVI you only get this file. Assuming that OVI is legal, this package contains either the source, or a written offer for the source (3a, 3b in the GPL). In either case, further distributing the package (non-commercially) is legal (3a, 3c).
Your action impacts the availability of future software. You may be allowed to disribute the code, but I'd have assumed you have some respect for the developer. He made a great app, and its sold for less than the price of a coffee here, its worth heaps more giving its functionality and features. Now he'll think twice before he releases anything else for us. Given your now anti-nokia, you won't care about future software for maemo, thanks for ruining it for the rest of us who still care.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,361 | Thanked: 3,746 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Berlin - Love this city!!
I overread the first "must be in package".
So did I got it right:
Since Stellarium is open source, Stellarium Mobile have to be open source as well, right?

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Please stop lying, YoDude. The package from endofinternet.org is exactly as legal as from OVI. The fact that you would prefer that it would not be available does not make it piracy.
Byte me with the lying crap. This horse **** about Licensing is exactly why FOSS is dead. The whole purpose of this discussion by some was in order to get something for nothing.

My intent has been clear in all this. My enthusiasm for the value added by the author of this program is what prompted my posts. A possible outcome of my actions would be more people purchase this app attracting more developers to the N900 and more quality apps are developed for it.

Your intent seems to be the same as that of a snake in the grass. The possible outcome of your actions is that developers who stayed away because of the ambiguity of FOSS licensing schemes in the past will continue to ignore the N900.

But eh, you saved 3 bucks.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2010-10-23 at 20:39. Reason: one word only

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,092 | Thanked: 4,995 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ beautiful cave
I can't understand how somebody who have paid up to 600 € for a Smartphone isn't willing pay ridiculous 3 € to support a great app and its developer. I would have paid much more for this app. The Price in OVI Store is more than fair. I would suggest to pay for this app when you want to have more apps like this in the future.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fellfrosch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
No, he's the original author of Stellarium, he can license his own code however he feels. Don't be a prick and take that package down.

The Following User Says Thank You to tswindell For This Useful Post:

Tags
gpl pirate :)