Had some spare time during xmas, so I created a tethering gui for Sailfish. The app allows sharing the mobile data connection over Wifi or Bluetooth. It uses NAT and creates a private network, which is shared over Wifi (infrastructure WPA2) or Bluetooth PAN.

The necessary network connections are handled automatically, so there should be no need to tweak the network settings. Previous state of the network connections is also restored, when a user disables tethering or closes the app.

At the moment only the SSID and PSK of the Wifi network can be modified. This is due to the limitations in the dbus interface of Connman. So currently it is not possible to (easily) modify for example the WLAN channel or private network address (which is randomized every time tethering is enabled).

The app has been tested by a limited number of persons for now, so some issues might arise. And there could also be situations, where the enabling process will fail for a good reason. If in doubt, just try to enable tethering again from the menu (if available) or by restarting the app.

Homepage:
- https://github.com/jlehtoranta/harbour-tethering-gui

Installation:
- Install from Jolla store
Or
- Download the latest rpm from: https://github.com/jlehtoranta/harbo...-1.armv7hl.rpm
- Install by opening the file from file manager or in terminal: "pkcon install-local harbour-tethering-gui-0.2.7-1.armv7hl.rpm"

Last edited by Jare; 2014-01-08 at 16:11.

The Following 52 Users Say Thank You to Jare For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
very cooool, thaaank you

a question: is it not possible to add this directly in system setting?

Posts: 498 | Thanked: 836 times | Joined on Jun 2012 @ Finland
With a quick and extensive 5 minutes long test everything seemed to work fine.

Feature request: Could the qui show us how many active connections there are currently?

BTW, how bad does the battery hit seem to be? Compared to N9 for example.

Nice job, thank you!

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
With a quick and extensive 5 minutes long test everything seemed to work fine.

Feature request: Could the qui show us how many active connections there are currently?

BTW, how bad does the battery hit seem to be? Compared to N9 for example.

Nice job, thank you!
At least WiFi tethering sucks your battery empty in no time. You should keep a charger in reach. But N9 wasn't much different IIRC. It's just the nature of adhoc WiFi.

Posts: 292 | Thanked: 294 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Milan, Italy
Works good for me. Didn't have time to test it with an Android device (my Nexus 7 never saw N9's hotspot because of lack of ad-hoc support on Android itself), or to see its battery consumption, but my Kubuntu pc can see the hotspot just fine.

Thanks all.

Originally Posted by cvp View Post
a question: is it not possible to add this directly in system setting?
Perhaps, but I haven't researched this possibility, since I suspect it wouldn't comply with the Jolla Harbour rules. And it could also create a higher chance of unintentionally forgetting tethering on.

Originally Posted by Boxeri View Post
Yes, I'm planning on adding this kind of information to the gui, but I can't give any timeline for now. It depends on the ways the information is accessible.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jare For This Useful Post:
Posts: 27 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Netherlands
thank you...great job...works perfect... would also like to see who is connected and maybe option to disconnect automatically after xx amount of time per client...

Best regards

Miki

Is there particular code that makes this only run on Jolla devices? Neither wifi nor bluetooth tethering worked with Sailfish on my N9.

Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
@taixzo n950 adaptation kernel have no iptables and etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
New release (v0.2.7) with some bugfixes: https://github.com/jlehtoranta/harbo...-1.armv7hl.rpm.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jare For This Useful Post:

Tags
bluetooth, network, sharing, tethering, wifi hotspot