Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Of course, despite the name, it runs Android . . . Talk about getting my hopes up with the headline though

http://www.techspot.com/news/65860-b...fications.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Really nice (or something). Articles about this device has started to show up under "Related articles" when I read about SailfishOS or Jolla on Facebook :/

Hopefully it this Nexus codename might spike a little interest for SailfishOS for regular Android users, but I sadly don't think so.

Last edited by LouisDK; 2016-08-06 at 09:56.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LouisDK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Stupid name, how to identify with it? Is it even food?

Why did they not call it the Nexus "Windows" instead?

The device and display looks square like a window.

Your window on the (online) world?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Looks like google bombing

How to push sailfishOS in page 10 ? Simple, name a nexus "sailfish"...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 362 | Thanked: 1,373 times | Joined on Nov 2015 @ Sweden
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
How to push sailfishOS in page 10 ? Simple, name a nexus "sailfish"...
Exactly what I thought to. Make it harder to find the real thing, if people ever get to hear about "Sailfish".
Is there no copyright or tm law to use against google?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to eson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
I would think it's way more likely that Google pays absolutely no attention to what Jolla are doing when they came up with those names. Sailfish is surely nothing more than a very faint diminishing blip on their radar.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I would think it's way more likely that Google pays absolutely no attention to what Jolla are doing when they came up with those names. Sailfish is surely nothing more than a very faint diminishing blip on their radar.
Actually I think the reverse is true. A huge company such as Google has awful lot of lawyers, forward planning, threat analysing and such some of which makes probably no sense at all to any of us.

There's no way they would be unaware of SailfishOS when picking that name up, without someone pointing it out. That they did anyway choose it is of course no proof of malice. Choosing that could go either way, it could also point more people to SailfishOS when googling about the device.

And I say this without having no strong feelings about Google. I use many of their services, and consider them personally a better company than many other big companies.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
I think it's a very bad news for Jolla. I don't foresee more people coming to Sailfish by looking for information on this device, but rather people failing at finding relevant information on Sailfish because of the tremendous number of hits they will get on this device first, even on non-Google search engines. It will at the same time make Sailfish look less important and then less appealing. And even the ambiguity between Sailfish and the name of a Google product is beneficial to Google, given that millions of people will only know the later and contribute to getting rid of such ambiguity.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I doubt these names will be forward facing names for these devices. The Nexus 6 was Shamu. The Nexus 4 was Mako. In fact, there's a lot of fish names utilized in the project names.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
my favourite were hammerhead and bullhead

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post: