Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by ibrakalifa View Post
Why not using old blackberry z10 or maybe z30, or even nokia n9, port fully working stable Sailfish and ressurect them from dying
How can anyone port anything to a Blackberry Device while they have a locked bootloader?

And even with their Android device it's impossible to install custom roms, how can you install something on a BB10 device?

And why need a SFOS port on N9, while a better and power device with the same form factor (Nexus 5) already has a stable port, or some older device which has a better function (Photon Q)?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
The main issue i see with a "powered by Maemo" device is that Fremantle doesn't seem to be in a particularly good state to port it to anything vaguely recent.
I (and my 50 euro allwinner A33 tablet running hildon-desktop on armhfp devuan jessie) tend to disagree.

What Fremantle lacks is not hardware, but anyone but me and android808 (and Pali in regard to upstream kernel) willing to put effort in forward-porting it. Every now and then there are "brainstorm" threads, lots of talk and whatnot, producing nothing but noise.

Imagine that we have that open bootloader, octocore, 4GB, LTE and whatnot imaginary device - so what? Without us spending time on porting packages, Fremantle will not magically rebase itself - it needs somebody putting effort on it. The less devs do that effort, the longer time it will take. With nobody doing it, it will never happen.

just my 2 cents

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 28 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by freemangordon View Post
I (and my 50 euro allwinner A33 tablet running hildon-desktop on armhfp devuan jessie) tend to disagree.

What Fremantle lacks is not hardware, but anyone but me and android808 (and Pali in regard to upstream kernel) willing to put effort in forward-porting it. Every now and then there are "brainstorm" threads, lots of talk and whatnot, producing nothing but noise.

Imagine that we have that open bootloader, octocore, 4GB, LTE and whatnot imaginary device - so what? Without us spending time on porting packages, Fremantle will not magically rebase itself - it needs somebody putting effort on it. The less devs do that effort, the longer time it will take. With nobody doing it, it will never happen.

just my 2 cents
Will you be able to do the porting task for a modern platform, if we pay you for the efforts?

It not we don't want to have Fremantle or just brainstoming. To be honest I really don't know how to port and how much work/how likely it will be successful. We need your help.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Just chipping in to echo a +1 for doing an Android device to pick up sales from people who want an Android device with a keyboard.

On top of that it may be then viable to have other OSs ported.

Personally, I've absolutely no desire for a hardware keyboard or resistive screen or Freemantle but if this leads to more effort to create an open linux mobile OS then I'll buy one.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Will you be able to do the porting task for a modern platform, if we pay you for the efforts?

It not we don't want to have Fremantle or just brainstoming. To be honest I really don't know how to port and how much work/how likely it will be successful. We need your help.
Oh, seems you got me wrong - it is not about the money but the manpower - making a distribution is not a 1-2 guys job, esp if done in spare time. I don't need money(so far I have a well-paid full-time job), but developers interested in porting Fremantle on top of modern debian.

But I guess this is well OT here.

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900

Community SSU developer

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
don't need money(so far I have a well-paid full-time job), but developers interested in porting Fremantle on top of modern debian.

But I guess this is well OT here.
Here I tend to disagree.

It is well needed. Be it Freemantle/Devuan/SFOS (see the order? ).
All distros would need big effort SW wise to run on other HW.
And I absolutely appreciate everyone's effort in doing so!

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2017-01-12 at 23:40. Reason: coloring

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Chen has a point. All our projects suffer from the "man in his bedroom on his spare time" syndrome. Neo900 is the prime example. You would think that €50k is a full time salary for one person for a year, so once that was reached, you would expect that person to drop everything and focus 100% on that and nothing else. It would be very strange if the product was not finished in that time. But no, it continued in the same, "spare time job" way.

What we need is a change of paradigm. Developing a product is NOT a spare time job. As long as it stays one, all we will ever get is spare time results. We need someone, preferably a whole team, working full time.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
I have been waiting for you or android to chime in...

If hildon is functional...
If fremantle is functional...
And on a tablet..
And from what I glean...close...
Then for the sake of Job!
Turn it into an 86 64 proper distro ...at least our platform...our os can be more easily maintained, preserved, expanded upon..
And put on virtually any PC ...
If no one or no one entity can provide us with a suitable device to migrate to..
Then turn it into a distro we can easily use on any PC or run off SD card on any old piece of smartphone crap....
UNTIL an entity comes along that wants to make devices for it again....
Or some better alt hardware solution comes along.
At least our os will be preserved ...more easily maintained...
AND
As a proper distribution...I bet we will pick up a LOT more members ...

Really...the only thing stopping new members from using our platform is that they MUST have a specific aging and outdated smartphone..which is increasingly becoming hard to find in decent shape.

Take that hurdle away...
make fremantle an all-purpose distro that will run on a pc, laptop, convertible, tablet ...even ...run off an sd card on a piece of crap android phone...
thus we gain a potential planet full of people swelling our ranks...
consequently we gain more help in maintaining, developing, testing, etc.

I can't see a loss with this approach...
Only gain..

And if we don't find SOMETHING to move maemo onto....
If we keep either
A- reminiscing ..
B- sitting put like we have and trying to maintain the status quo hoping a device comes along in time...(I think we won't last to see that day).
C-arguing ...about what font...or place setting should go where ...on what device ..that hasn't come around yet...
Or
D- do absolutely nothing...

Then it is the freakin' lifeboat scene straight out of the titanic ...all over again...
And not the modern version...the gritty old version...
Only for us ...there won't be any freakin' lifeboats to argue over!! !!
It will just be arguing as we sink.
And I for one won't stick around to watch that bit of gruesomeness ...

I don't give the lot of us 5-10 years...and maemo won't run on anything...due to units dying from old age...
(Well...my n8x0's will keep rockin' ...but the rest of you 'n900 only ' guys are doomed....)

So ...turn it into a distribution...
Ill use it...hell it'll be my daily....
Ill tinker with it...
Sure I won't be the only one either ...I bet...

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Last edited by endsormeans; 2017-01-13 at 21:12.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:

Of course these things don't magically appear out of thin air, someone has to do the work.

Help us promote the work you're doing and maybe more people would be interested in helping out? Is there a video of your tablet running hildon we can share around?

What device is it? where can you buy one? what works hardware wise?

Sometimes in order to build a project up you have to yell from the roof tops "Hey everyone look at this cool thing I gone and done", and that is something that everyone posting in this thread can help with.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to r0kk3rz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by r0kk3rz View Post
Of course these things don't magically appear out of thin air, someone has to do the work.

Help us promote the work you're doing and maybe more people would be interested in helping out? Is there a video of your tablet running hildon we can share around?

What device is it? where can you buy one? what works hardware wise?
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=68

there are more recent videos in the same folder (http://46.249.74.23/allwinner/)

Sometimes in order to build a project up you have to yell from the roof tops "Hey everyone look at this cool thing I gone and done", and that is something that everyone posting in this thread can help with.
And what do you think I am doing

Community SSU developer

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:

Tags
crowdfunding, hwkbd, tainted love