Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Android installs easily and runs fast as on ANY phone!
Android on N900 is running great, just needs more work.

why not try get the older maemo UI to run? I remember seeing that maemol 4 (N8x0) had kde running on it.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
LXDE via Easy Debian's actually pretty usable.

Maybe you can get other DEs installed via Synaptic, but I haven't tried.

As per the previous post, penguinbait has ported several DEs to Diablo, not sure how they would work on Fremantle. Unfortunately, penguinbait has said he is no longer active on these forums.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by Patola View Post
Easy debian seems to be the ideal solution for you, it comes with LXDE and all the things you asked for. Have you tried it?
Easy Debian... It's for running OpenOffice.org and Firefox and other large applications... No, it doesn't interest me now, though it's curious concept.

Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
Wow! Man you're my exact opposite! Well if it is indeed yes! I suggest LXDE a total crap DU for me since it's way totally very simple and old school. Guess you would like it. Hehehe
Well... You both advise LXDE. So, where can I get it?

P.S. Hildon uses Matchbox; LXDE uses Openbox. LXDE is said to be faster than Hildon; Matchbox is said to be faster than Openbox. Who can explain this paradox?

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by kingoddball View Post
Android installs easily and runs fast as on ANY phone!
Android on N900 is running great, just needs more work.
I don't want to argue about alternative OS here; I would like alternative desktop environment.

Search for "Android isn't Linux", and you might find some criticism of Android on Maemo.org.

why not try get the older maemo UI to run? I remember seeing that maemol 4 (N8x0) had kde running on it.
Older maemo OS... First, it requires flashing. Second, it might be buggy or incompatible with N900 hardware.

KDE is a heavy desktop environment, just the opposite of what I look for.

Originally Posted by xomm View Post

LXDE via Easy Debian: I'm afraid that the heaviness of Easy Debian will offset the advantages of LXDE lightness. Try to forget for one minute that N900 is powerful enough to run even OpenOffice.org; I want a light desktop environment for Maemo 5.

As per the previous post, penguinbait has ported several DEs to Diablo, not sure how they would work on Fremantle. Unfortunately, penguinbait has said he is no longer active on these forums.
Sorry to hear that... Maybe, he left a note on how he ported the DEs to Diablo, so that it would be possible to similarly make a port to Fremantle?

Or just give a link to the DEs so that I could test them on Fremantle :-/. If it isn't too dangerous.

Posts: 609 | Thanked: 243 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Eastern USA
After digging through penguinbait's blog, I found this.

Again, probably not what you're looking for, but it's a start.

Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Alternative desktops
In addition to the officially supported Hildon environment that comes standard on the tablets, several alternate desktop systems are available. Penguinbait, a member of the Internet Tablet Talk community, has successfully ported KDE 3, Openbox, and XFCE to the N800 and N810 (the 770 is able to run an early version of the KDE port). KDE 4 is being ported at the present time. LXDE is the default desktop for the "Easy Debian" distribution, which is installed as a single application under Maemo, but provides access to the full range of software in the ARM Debian distribution via a chroot environment.
Although I can't find anything on his download page other than KDE 3.5.8.

EDIT: Here's XFCE. Not quite LXDE, but it looks fine.

EDIT 2: Here's OpenBox + ROX.

EDIT 3: Here's KDE 4.

Just remember that all of the above (with the exception of penguinbait's own experiment in the first link) are designed for pre-Fremantle releases of Maemo.
Also, pin yourself in the map! Maemo Map. Send me a PM (Private Message) if I leave you hanging on a problem (or if you need more help).
Owner of both a N800 and N900; Active community member since Jan 2010. You've been xommified! - My blog.

Last edited by xomm; 2010-06-18 at 13:25.

Read here

http://matchbox-project.org/overview.html

I have libmatchbox1, matchbox-window-manager, libglib, pango, png.

I want: matchbox-common, matchbox-desktop, matchbox-panel.
What's the way to build them for Fremantle?

And how to disable hildon-desktop, hildon-status-bar, etc. without crashing everything?

It's a possibility of replacing Hildon DE with Matchbox DE. What do you think about it?

Is it true that the only way hildon is started at startup is through /etc/init.d/hildon-desktop? Will editing the file allow to startup another elf instead of hildon-desktop (for instance, matchbox-desktop, if and when it will be compiled)? Is there a way to say in this file that it asks me whether I want to start hildon or matchbox, I make the choice, and it goes on accordingly?

I'm trying to compile libmatchbox (it's required before anything else). What does "Required X11 headers and libraries not found" mean? What package I need to install to get it working?

Hi,
You can change the windowing system. Don't use synaptic.
Use Easy Deb CHroot and just use apt-get install..

apt-get install jwm (tiny, tiny window manager)
apt-get instal xfce4
kde, gwm.... blah blah blah..

It's hard to get them to work sometimes.
I was using xnest to get them to work, but found out (qole) that we should be using xypher (same scratchbox n900 emulator).

There is a problem though, when you install XFCE4 (maybe it has been fixed?), you loose the blue function button in LXDE (normal easy debain).

Instructions:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50874

Hi,
You can change the windowing system. Don't use synaptic.
Use Easy Deb CHroot and just use apt-get install..

apt-get install jwm (tiny, tiny window manager)
apt-get instal xfce4
kde, gwm.... blah blah blah..

It's hard to get them to work sometimes.
I was using xnest to get them to work, but found out (qole) that we should be using xypher (same scratchbox n900 emulator).

There is a problem though, when you install XFCE4 (maybe it has been fixed?), you loose the blue function button in LXDE (normal easy debain).

Instructions:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=50874
Well... I don't want to install Easy Debian on top of Hildon and then xfce4 on top of Easy Debian.

I just want to replace Hildon with something which wouldn't have too much black color, transitions, blur, shadows, png decorations, etc.

And as any desktop environment for Fremantle has to be compiled, I think about matchbox-desktop: matchbox-window-manager already works on Fremantle.

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2010-06-21 at 01:58. Reason: misprint

Wikiwide - I was not replying to your message.
Please look again.
It was to xomm.
It was nothing about Hildon.