Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
Oh, and give us the phone app that actually is a phone app, not just a call log with posibility to bring up the dialer and then make a call.
Well... There's a patch for that.™

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
I hate to be that guy again, but…
I think most people checking this thread for Xperia-related news check for Xperia-related stuff while folks not interested in Sony but with the desire to converse about all things app ecosystem and GUI would enjoy your posts but might miss them, because they might not even read this thread.

I realize it's a fine line and it might even be a good place to discuss Sonys involvement being a possible incentive for companies developing for SFOS, but it's slowly slipping off topic.
But maybe that's just me being that guy again. Sorry for being a bit cranky today.
___
list of i486/noarch packages on openrepos (jolla tablet)

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to velox For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
It just occured to me that Sony is "treating" Jolla the same way as Jolla does with Turing.

Like, Yeah, we might have a Partner that may become interesting in the future, but better to keep him on maximum distance so the gutts and blood do not hit us if they suddenly explode

Still, Jolla has a real chance here.
If they accomplish to put out a fully working "Jony C" within the given timeframe, it would be prove to other oems they actually can match deadlines and make up for some of the impression they left with intex and the tablet.

Last edited by mosen; 2017-03-11 at 12:08.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Absolutely. I was just explaining to my parents how to work with Sailfish, and everything went well when I showed them they could open up People and call and send messages from there. Then they asked "how can I call a phone number that isn't in my contacts?" and I had to tell them, well, you have to open up the Phone application, then you need to pull down and select the option to show the dialer, then finally you can enter the phone number you want.

Also, good luck explaining you're supposed to pull down or up to answer or ignore a call instead of simply pressing a button, but to end a call you do have to press a button. I don't mind this way of doing things, but it sure isn't something everyone will find logical. Is there a patch to show buttons instead?
well, but for answering at least there's a hint of green and red on the screen and since pulling is the way how it's done on other phones it's somehow obvious. But the dialer...... I'm the person who mostly talk with the same people and I was actually always used call log instead of phonebook. But this is annoying even to me. And call log as such is beyond basic anyway.

@HtheB Well, there's a "patch" for everything that is missing and that is wrong with Jolla. Xperia X with Android is "the patch" for many of those things. But that's not what we want.
There aren't that many sailfish users out there, and if majority of them use the same patches that should tell something. At least tho those who are willing to listen.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon

@HtheB Well, there's a "patch" for everything that is missing and that is wrong with Jolla. Xperia X with Android is "the patch" for many of those things. But that's not what we want.
There aren't that many sailfish users out there, and if majority of them use the same patches that should tell something. At least tho those who are willing to listen.
That is why I posted this before..

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
There aren't that many sailfish users out there...
A big reason for this is that you can't actually buy one (outside of India). I have a Nokia N800, two N900s, and an N9. I have never touched a Jolla/Salifish device because I never had the opportunity to buy one (that would work with U.S. bands). I tried to get that tablet, and we all know how that went.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
A big reason for this is that you can't actually buy one (outside of India). I have a Nokia N800, two N900s, and an N9. I have never touched a Jolla/Salifish device because I never had the opportunity to buy one (that would work with U.S. bands). I tried to get that tablet, and we all know how that went.
If you want to try SFOS in US before Xperia comes preloaded, the OnePlus One and X have good ports and work pretty well here. 4g on the X isn't the best everywhere, so if dara speed is a priority for you might not be your 1st choice. The One is a 2 year old device but still very competent. For me it's too big to be conveniently pocketable. SFOS 2.0.5.6 works on both.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Well, there's a "patch" for everything that is missing and that is wrong with Jolla. Xperia X with Android is "the patch" for many of those things. But that's not what we want.
I can't agree - this is one of the things SFOS is about - everyone can fit it to his/her needs - ok it could be easier for the everyday user but try to patch Android without root and unlocked bootloader .

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 943 | Thanked: 3,228 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Zagreb
yes, because everyone knows how to write a patch.
And then, you have a system with 10-20-30 patches. That breaks on update. Great. Or you unapply them and then they don't work on new version.
I'm not saying that patching is bad but even the stubborn GNOME developers realized some things and now they include some extensions by default.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kinggo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 301 | Thanked: 531 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ The Netherlands
What strikes me is the way this thread turns into a wailing wall. We should ask the developers of TMO to have a double line for each thread. One with relevant information, and one with a wailing wall.

Cheer up, guys. Everything may be too little, too late. And reducing your hopes may be a way to minimise the disappointment. But to me, this news on Sony is positive, and at least there's some hope of new hardware.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to rob_kouw For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x