Posts: 355 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Helsinki, Finland
You heard it here first sport fans. Nokia will be releasing a new F/W version that promises to finally fix Flash, and Skype will be joining the application lineup in the very near future.

There will be no Java for the N800 however. Nokia does not see the need when Flash and Ajax can provide a better experience for the user.

Get your flashers ready.

Nokia doesn't see the need?!? Its freaking java.. Its used by a ton of stuff. If the tablet had java I could do my whole job from the device and sit outside on the nice benches in the sun and work.

Originally Posted by schmots View Post
Nokia doesn't see the need?!? Its freaking java.. Its used by a ton of stuff. If the tablet had java I could do my whole job from the device and sit outside on the nice benches in the sun and work.
Dude, I hear you. I was surprised as well but in the meeting, they said that Flash and Ajax are more compatible to the way the tablet is designed. Not from a technical aspect but from a user experience aspect. The Nokia guys said that less and less Java is playing an important part in website design and Flash/Ajax is coming more to the forefront. It is cool that there will be a new F/W upgrade and Skype though.

I like GizmoProject but for some reason it stopped working and I can not get a real response from their developers why, other than the fact that, "Yeah we know there is a problem."

Not very reassuring.

Gizmo works fine here. My problem is that i still would have to pay yet another company to call 'real' phones. oh and the mic feedback loops on laptops is horrible.

Yeah flash would be nice. I guess i'll need to go and download my installers for apps.... again.....

Posts: 531 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on Oct 2006 @ This side of insane, that side of genius
with the new firmware, will bluetooth headset drivers be available?
ElmScan 5 BlueTooth
BlackBerry Bold (9000)
AT&T Wireless

Posts: 1,310 | Thanked: 820 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Irving, TX
Would they finally be able to include SDHC support? Not that I have SDHC card yet but once the device officially support it I'll consider buying one (or two... )

Originally Posted by Mara View Post
Would they finally be able to include SDHC support? Not that I have SDHC card yet but once the device officially support it I'll consider buying one (or two... )
@Brendan and Mara,

Your issues were not addressed. We mainly talked about the user experience, current and future.

Nokia said that the current state of the repositories was more geared towards developers and not very user/consumer friendly and they will have to change this to be more appealing to a mass market. This could also be the reason for the exclusion of Java from the N800 roadmap. WHile BT would be a great addition, I am not sure it will be added. I hope so though. By all means write them. They do read the emails and sometimes this forum.

They are working on getting the OS as stable as possible before the next phase (not a lot of info there) is implemented but it will have to do with more user friendly and useable apps. They said that Canola was good but not quite there yet and this could be based on the OS or Canola itself but it is a great start.

For sure the N800 will not be marketed as a biz device. The E-Series phones are there for this.

Originally Posted by sondjata View Post
Gizmo works fine here. My problem is that i still would have to pay yet another company to call 'real' phones. oh and the mic feedback loops on laptops is horrible.

Yeah flash would be nice. I guess i'll need to go and download my installers for apps.... again.....
Hey sondjata,

I have to thank you for convincing me (indirectly) to give the N800 another chance. It was something said that made realize that maybe I was approaching it in the wrong way, and sure enough, once I looked at it as a simple connectivity (via the web) device, I am getting a much better user experience.

As for Gizmo, they made a major upgrade to their network and some people (me included) can not hear the incoming voice from the distant end. This is on either my N800 and Mac. However, if I use X-Lite on my Mac, the sipphone network functions just fine. It has been localized to the interaction between the Gizmo client and their networks.

Posts: 428 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Washington DC
So how did you get dirt on what's going on at Nokia?

Not dirt.

I live in Finland and have quite a few friends in the Espoo office. I also consult for the US military on new devices, and in spite of some "subscribers" here I felt the N800 might have some governmental applications and uses.

The cool thing is that the N800 will become more user friendly in the near future. Nokia is very concerned that it is currently viewed as mainly a developer/niche user market device.