Active Topics

There's a thread about this chap in the Off Topic section. But I think considering his achievements include the invention* of a languange that everyone relies on all the time, this is distintly "On Topic"!

I just saw it on that rolling banner at the bottom of the news channel that Dennis Richie had died - a real OMGG moment - now I see from Wikipedia, it was on 8th. Articles are already comparing him and the publicuty (or absence thereof) to that of the former Apple-man Steve Jobs. The nature of their achievments was very different, so in a way, it doesn't matter if he doesn't get the hype of Jobs but respect is definitely due from a tech community like this: Salute!

For those who don't know who he is or what he did, this is quite a good article or just do a web search for him.
For the lazy: he was a lead in the team, at Bell Labs, that invented the C programming languange and susquently created/in order to create Unix, from which stems both iOS and Linux, amongst others.

Now, I'm a rubbish programmer but the importance of being able to write software in a normal-ish language and model "real objects" in code that also runs so close to the harware can hardly be missed by anyone who tries.

Big Karma!

*even if C did mimic other languanges of the era, it was new as an entity.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-15287391

doubt we'd be communicating here if it wasn't for him and his team.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,338 | Thanked: 1,055 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ California, USA / Jordan
Not trying to sound mean or anything but, there is a thread about that already... http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78974

EDIT: Maybe the moderators should then merge the other thread with this? If it really should be "On-Topic"

The Following User Says Thank You to bandora For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Not trying to sound mean or anything but, there is a thread about that already... If it really should be "On-Topic"
No worries. I did mention the Off Topic thread. Doesn't really matter, just Off Topic things don't show in the side bar and a lot of people have never seen the term "printf", let alone know what it means. On reading the articles, the realisation that behind all achievements are people became very apparent, so just thought a visible thread might help to highlight the contribution this person made (and by implication gratitude for it).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to demolition For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
Originally Posted by bandora View Post
Not trying to sound mean or anything but, there is a thread about that already... http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78974

EDIT: Maybe the moderators should then merge the other thread with this? If it really should be "On-Topic"
off topic threads do not appear on the active topics so they can be easily missed. i think the OP was just trying to raise awareness and even mentioned the original thread.
I think given the nature of the thread and of the worlds loss, i don't think there's any harm in having 2 threads. regardless of which thread is used i think it's good for people to know who he was and thank him for this modern day we live in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Wiped the dust from my copy of k&r yesterday after hearing about this.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post:
Posts: 168 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Vienna
Nobody seems to notice, that without Dennis Ritchie and
his coinventors, C would not exist, C++ perhaps neither and
we don't know if the rest of programming languages beside Assembler,Pascal, Modula would exist nowadays.

This would also mean, that Bill Gates would do some different business (carpets perhaps),
Apple would probably not exist.
All the stuff we do with Maemo5 here today would also probably vanish in a puff.

The Following User Says Thank You to ME2g For This Useful Post:
But we wouldn't have as many stack overflows either.....

The Following User Says Thank You to Rider For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
ooooh... RIP dennis ritchie, the computing world will miss you.

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
So... Who's going to be #3? Isn't the legand that things like this happen in 3s? First Jobs, then Ritchie.... Who's next? Gates? Stole?

It's a sad thing, but it does put things into a time frame. People who were the early inventors are getting up there in age.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: