Posts: 569 | Thanked: 462 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ USA
A possible reason that there has been little participation is the overwhelming avalanche of dense politicking & contractual construction of several aspects that exploded simultaneously & on fairly short order.

It is not unexpected that many folks won't be able to get too deep into analysis & conversation with something that is not only complex, but unresolved. It's not just a personality or disposition issue, but a time issue.

Count me among the ones that were hoping that those who actually had the time & resources allowing them to follow & put this together more carefully would do so, & then come in when the aspects were more settled except for a vote.

I know a lot of this comes at almost the 11th hour because of Nokia's not giving a clear answer about anything until it's almost up against a wall, but it would be a more reasonable expectation from the community to deal with only one issue, resolve it, deal with the next issue, resolve it, rather than right now the board/council/bylaws vote with at least three major discussions going on now in several "click here" links that are difficult to find time & consideration for independently.

It would have been nice if the current council's term could be extended for another term for stability & simplification of the transition. It would be appreciated if they re-nominated themselves to cut the rest of us some slack.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rotoflex For This Useful Post:
Personally, I think that BoD thing was a little under-announced. Sure, it went into main communication channels, but it never become "hot topic" - like, for example, (much less important) Council election, before last voting, (almost) half a year ago.

Do You remember, how "hot" it was there, resulting in enough candidates to held election, and immediate interest/action, when voting didn't started as expected?

Now, it seems to me, that only few dedicated individuals would even notice. It's not that I'm accusing current Council - formally, they did everything they were supposed to do. It just that, in my personal (and possibly, unjustified) opinion/feeling, there was lack of passionate "flame", while announcing it, convincing to take part, etc. It seems, that Council's actions, while formally OK, lacked dedicated advocates in Community.

You may call it lack of charisma, if You wish. Anyway, it resulted in lack of widespread interest, and only 2 candidates for 10 positions - which sounds like worse result ever. If You think about it, the same was seen during Council's meeting - since something about 1,5 month, they become less and less populated (to the point that, once, only one Councilor was present, with zero guests, so he had nothing other to do, than closing meeting) and shorter.

Just a personal opinion - feel free to disagree. No matter of cause we have only 2 candidates for BoD, and 0 for Council - current Councilors will, probably, need to volounteer as self-appointed BoD candidates, to have voting rolled, or even full staff without voting. Which is troubling, like hell.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-09-28 at 03:32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
Personally, I think that the current council should fulfill both roles at the moment, get the community through this period of uncertainty and turmoil, establish the community's future, and then establish elections for both BoD and Council. Having a transition right now, with very few people seemingly stepping up to the plate to take over, seems like a very bad idea.

It's also possible that the current council does not want the job and wants to get out. Hopefully not, but I wouldn't entirely blame them as there seems to be a lot of ill will directed towards them. Personally, I think Woody (and the rest of the current council) is doing a great job in difficult circumstances and I think the community needs to support them at this time-unless you are going to step up and take over, get out of the way and let them do what needs to be done.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
This has to be unprecedented.

In the interim, the old council should stay in power until there is a new council to pass the torch.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
This has to be unprecedented.
What, community apathy? I'm afraid it's par for the course. After all, the nomination period for the previous election was extended due to insufficient number of candidates and the two elections before that didn't happen due to having just enough candidates to form an unelected council.

But at least we have enough board candidates so we can have that election which IMHO is much more important right now.

In the interim, the old council should stay in power until there is a new council to pass the torch.
Well, the standard procedure is to extend the nomination period for 3 weeks, during which the current council is still in "power".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
so, as expected, all councilors put their names into hat for BoD (SD69 haven't, but as he is registering Foundation, he will be, officially or not, part of BoD as per legal responsibility).

I think, that it means we already have enough candidates for voting? Or nomination period got extended? I'm asking seriously, as I've lost track of it.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by lma View Post
What, community apathy?
No. This few candidates is what I was referring. The apathy is warranted. The outgoing council got the last item(s) and support from Nokia, this last council will invariably receive nothing, including the support from the community.

Look for the antics, the dismissals and the attitude from a few select members to be the reasoning behind the community apathy.

I'm merely talking about 2 candidates all of 2 days ago.

Well, the standard procedure is to extend the nomination period for 3 weeks, during which the current council is still in "power".
Glad there's a contingency plan. Seems like it's needed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
hopefully they didn't apply for the "popularity contest" of the elections & all that crap...
... .

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
... .
Hey, it's a valid statement - we would all hope that that is not the motivation of anyone who runs for a position. It doesn't necessarily mean he's accusing either of you or doing so, or even necessarily implying it's likely. Now, he might be, but I think just his statement by itself doesn't logically necessitate that meaning. (Edit: To be clear, I haven't paid enough attention to the details of what different members feel towards other members, so I don't know or remember if his comment is part of a larger pattern of such remarks)

At any rate, I am a bit confused now: The nomination period for Council and/or Board - are either of those being extended, or..?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
No one knows I suspect, that chair should be keeping notes of candidates and threshold, so we should expect woody's comment soon.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
-
-

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:

Tags
council