Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
so much for dreaming a little, or for visionary input, huh?
You misunderstand what I'm saying. Yes, efforts here are helping to build that thing we all hoped Maemo (and MeeGo and Tizen and Sailfish and...) would become: A truly open-source mobile device. But all the dreaming and vision in the world won't change the fact that it's highly unlikely we will see future devices running Maemo.

maybe, maybe, external input could help us steer towards a "real" open-source mobile OS?
Yes, which is in part why I've said we need to examine this and see if it makes sense. My lack of immediate open embrace of this idea does not imply my rejection of it.

do you expect a guy who is just "landed" to be aware of all the finesse (though the word doesn't quite cover it )
No. But I also don't expect them to imply others are fools when they have a different opinion or concerns. Especially when there's a clear lack of understanding on both sides.

I've been in Jims position in the past. Being pulled into a foreign group that was just as misinformed about who I was, as I was about them. The first step is to clarify what is real and what both are thinking and expecting. It is not to lash out against others, regardless if their concerns are misdirected or potentially valid.

the tone of some of your § didn't quite seem that welcoming after all
The tone of my legal-wrangling (for those unfamiliar with the symbol) again has nothing to do with Jim, and I said as much. It has more to do with the process of what's going on here. I agree with Jim that we need to follow the legal bits. But I doubt Jim as read those fully yet. Again, commenting on something when you haven't done the research, and implying impropriety from others, does not strike a positive chord with me.

Andrew sums my legal concerns up nicely in the MWKN. You'll note, there's not a concern about the appointments, or the people appointed, but about process.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
Welcome Jim. I'm sure your experience can be a great asset to the foundation.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Andrew sums my legal concerns up nicely in the MWKN. You'll note, there's not a concern about the appointments, or the people appointed, but about process.
Those are my summaries, actually.*

I was initially rather nonplussed by Jim's appointment, the context of the appointment being my primary issue of contention, but reading this introduction leaves me much more encouraged by the kind of competence and attitude Jim can bring to the table. It strikes me as an attitude very much inline with my own beliefs.

I'd like to state my agreement with Woody's point: it's about the context of the appointment and not anything personal about you, Jim.

I am worried about an elected body that's made up only of appointed members, about the directions SD69 seems to want to take the foundation in, and about the standing the Hildon Foundation currently seems to have with the community. I think an election would be a good way to realign its focus and change some of those negative perceptions. The timing of the election, however, I'm not sure about given that the board is presently still in active negotiations with Nokia. . . .

*Jaffa, fiferboy, myself, and occasionally timsamoff all write for MWKN, you can find the author of a particular story summary in the "Editor:" line underneath the title.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Thanks for the link, which, to me, served somewhat as a kind of primer, a HiFo Trouble for Dummies.

I have no idea about all the things involved, what's needed and what's not but I hope Jimjag is able to help things clear up.

It seems a bit silly to react in a thread so full of esoteric stuff, but seeing this thread hardly gets any reaction at all I figured I might as well show my support for all of you working hard to keep this community alive. Thanks.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
No. But I also don't expect them to imply others are fools when they have a different opinion or concerns. Especially when there's a clear lack of understanding on both sides.
Personally, reading his reaction to some of the rude/aggressive posts, I could understand why he reacted that way, if I saw people making the same suggestions about me, I'd react similarly.
The person who made the most inflammatory remarks seemed to have very little solid basis for being as paranoid/rude as he was...
Nor does he have a history if informing himself fully about the entire HiFo evolution over the past 12mth+, rarely (if ever) have I seen him partake in any of the big discussions surrounding it.
Anyway, good that we're now moving towards an election, & good that we still have at least some people willing to do their best to keep the torch burning...

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-03-13 at 09:07.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
[...]
The person who made the most inflammatory remarks seemed to have very little solid basis for being as paranoid/rude as he was...
Nor does he have a history if informing himself fully about the entire HiFo evolution over the past 12mth+, rarely (if ever) have I seen him partake in any of the big discussions surrounding it.
[...]
presuming you are referring to stenny's post?
maybe you know the figure for real, but personally the post strikes me as very similar though somewhat less desperate as those of the last Council member that the community had to quick out of function, not even a year ago

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
Howslife jim

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
A quick note to all; this is a personal introduction thread not one whereby you speculate about a registered member hiding behind another account.

If you think someone is breaking forum rules report and let the moderators/administrators do their job. However, indirectly blaming someone WITHOUT any conclusive evidence is considered flaming and against forum rules.

Last edited by thedead1440; 2013-03-13 at 10:32.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
^stud got my point . Gud job

Thx for the posting...

I did not "stay away." As I hopefully indicated, I didn't even know that I was proposed to this community. As far as I knew, we were still in the stages of discussing whether or not I was suitable for the position and whether or not I would actually join.

Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
First of all, I heard your name for the first time here (http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...51&postcount=5) on a post dated on the 5th of March 2013. 5 days later, (which I regard as a very long time given the 7 day limit BoD had to appoint a new director) you appear, not to say hi, but rather to defend yourself against somebody who called you a politician, demanding him to have studied the facts and learn about you, before opening his mouth.

I find it arrogant to stay away
Sincerely,

Michael Demetriou
Maemo Community Council

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jimjag For This Useful Post:

Tags
comic, marixian, no more popcorn