Active Topics

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Hungary
Dear friends!

As a lot of us said, the n900's LCD has too "powerful" light-value even on minimum.
Everybody use Simple Brightness Applet for daily use, don't we? But at night, used befour sleep, the minimum burned my eyes out.

I use a simple shell script, read in the forum, which contains for minimum light: (noobs, like me, run command sudo gainroot first on the X Terminal!)
echo 2 > /sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness

The other command is for dark screen:
echo 1 > /sys/class/backlight/acx565akm/brightness
in the Enhanced Linux kernel the minimum is 0, not 1

BUT
When the light sensor detects light (my lamp), it turns the brightness to normal vault (in the settings-display the lowes value is 7! ) And I have to run my little script again. And again...

So, the question is:
- - How can we disable light sensor? - -
...or how to find an other solution to keep low light?
Can we make the minimum light to the standard?
Thanks for the replies!

Last edited by musculus; 2010-05-12 at 21:57.

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
little bit of black tape over the light sensor? okay its lo-tech but quick and effective.

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Posts: 23 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Hungary
The black tape is only a half-solution, because my N900 is always in my pocket, but a roll of tape...? And it makes the monitor dirty.
But I like your reply

Posts: 889 | Thanked: 537 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ scotland
Originally Posted by musculus View Post
The black tape is only a half-solution, because my N900 is always in my pocket, but a roll of tape...? And it makes the monitor dirty.
But I like your reply
oh i thought u only wanted it for night-time use before bed, really wouldn't be something i would leave on all day, had imagined you sticking the tape to the bedside cabinet when u got up!
sticking and un-sticking it to something else before using it should make the tape lo-tack enough it wouldnt leave much residue on the screen. wow. cant believe i'm actually proposing this in a maemo forum! no x-term, no hacking, no repo's warnings and no danger of having to reflash, my account will probably be deleted for this!

its a sad day when i can't slip at least one hitchhiker reference in somewhere.

Interesting line of code, there. Do I understand you correctly if I think it allows you to dim the screen to a lower level than the lowest "Simple Backlight" setting?

Here's a couple of related/interesting posts in a related thread.
The first, saying one can write to /sys/devices/platform/omap2_mcspi.1/spi1.2/backlight\:acx565akm/brightness to set any value and it sticks until display is dimmed or turned off.

The other says I successfully disabled my ALS yesterday.

I'm not sure what they're doing there, but they seem to have some success in turning off the sensor.

As discussed in this thread, users coming from the N810 are missing the "Advanced Backlight Applet" that existed on the N810. It had more levels and could go much darker than the default backlight settings.

We'd like to see this ported to the N900. Who would've thunk such a useful applet would not have been ported

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I think disabling Power Saving Mode in Settings>Display disables the brightness adjustment i.e. light sensor
Haven't tested though....

Originally Posted by festivalnut View Post
my account will probably be deleted for this!
I would rather expect someone to come in here, mark this thread with tag words 'worst thread ever', 'FUD', and tell OP to 'go buy an iPhone, you won't be missed'. That's the standard reaction to any thread where a user doesn't conform to the N900 functionality set. Because, Nokia never said that you could disable the light sensor, and you should have done your research before buying a €500 device.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by villo View Post
I think disabling Power Saving Mode in Settings>Display disables the brightness adjustment i.e. light sensor
Haven't tested though....
I just read someone who said that disabling Power Saving Mode didn't do that, so I just tested. No, it doesn't. Set it to lowest setting, held it under the light. Screen bright. Held the thumb over the sensor. Screen go dark.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by volt View Post
I just read someone who said that disabling Power Saving Mode didn't do that, so I just tested. No, it doesn't. Set it to lowest setting, held it under the light. Screen bright. Held the thumb over the sensor. Screen go dark.
it's like the "power saving" doesn't even do ANYTHING at all!