Posts: 49 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Switzerland
Hello everybody.

Having received my cyan N9 just yesterday, I tried to pair it with my mini bluetooth keyboard. It is a GeneralKeys PX-2563-675 (sold by Pearl.de). Pairing works fine with the Playstation 3 and with the help of a driver for HID on Android 2.3.

Now, the N9 discovers the device as a bluetooth keyboard and pairing seems to work too. To pair, I have to push a button on the keyboard and then enter the PIN the N9 displays. After that, it says "paired".

Sadly, I'm not able to use it. I tried typing in the notes program as well as the terminal and in messages, but no reaction. Could it be that HID drivers are missing in Harmattan? I remember the same being the problem in Fremantle (as well as with Android). Or am I just missing something? Has anyone been able to successfully use a bluetooth keyboard with the N9 yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to Venty For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Thanks for sharing, maybe also ask here
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=78598

Cheers

Posts: 1,313 | Thanked: 2,977 times | Joined on Jun 2011 @ Finland
I heard in IRC, before N9 was released, that the support for BlueTooth keyboards was not completed. So it might not work. But I was also told, that all the relevant code is open-source so can be made to work by our wonderful community if there's someone willing to put the work in.

Take that as you will, I have not studied this more.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
Posts: 658 | Thanked: 777 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Norway
If it wasnt completed its probably completed in PR 1.1, as mentioned 1.1 will have features that didnt make it in time into 1.0.

The Following User Says Thank You to slai For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by slai View Post
If it wasnt completed its probably completed in PR 1.1, as mentioned 1.1 will have features that didnt make it in time into 1.0.
My understanding was, that it was just dropped due to time and or resource restrictions and not continued. So I don't think PR 1.1 will have it, but perhaps if people file support requests it could make into PR 1.2?

Anyway, I'm encouraged that it should be possible by community do it. If it's really so, then I'm sure there's some people around that will make it available due time even if Nokia won't allocate resources to it.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Support for this and that not completed. Rubbish. N900 came out in Sept 2009. 2 years ago. Wtf have Nokia been doing? Playing with symbian themes and fonts and offering hundreds of thousands of dollars to developers to make average apps and invent ringtones. Get your house in order Nokia.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Support for this and that not completed. Rubbish. N900 came out in Sept 2009. 2 years ago. Wtf have Nokia been doing? Playing with symbian themes and fonts and offering hundreds of thousands of dollars to developers to make average apps and invent ringtones. Get your house in order Nokia.
No need to get angry. I think the Harmattan developers at Nokia have done a tremendous job, and I'm forever grateful to them - this might be the phone I'll be using for quite some number of years.

Of course the upper echelons of Nokia are, in my opinion, totally out of touch with their WP strategy and lack of resources put into Maemo when it was important. But it is what it is. What we have is a great device, put together by some fine people. And we have the community that can make it even better.

In the context of this post, If it's true that we can make BT keyboards work by ourselves, I think there's no great cause for distress. It's open source working as intended.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajalkane For This Useful Post:
I've raised a but report at:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=12467

I'm unable to load the necessary kernel modules, even though they're present, despite logging in as root using devel-su

This doesn't look like it will be hard to get working, provided someone can find a way to get the modules loaded.

You can edit /etc/modules as root and add hidp, but this doesn't seem to cause the module to load at boot time.

Sorry.

The Following User Says Thank You to pete_ For This Useful Post:
Ok, I've figured out how to get the hidp module loaded.

Sorry it's a bit of a hack, because /etc/modules doesn't load it.

But here are the steps (at your own risk):

1. Activate developer mode.
2. log in as root see: http://www.basshero.org/blog/113/nok...e-ssh-security
3. using vi, edit /etc/modprobe.d/meego.conf
4. add the following line:

install hci_h4p /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install hci_h4p; /sbin/modprobe hidp

make sure there are no typos, save the file and shutdown and restart.

5. after reboot, open a terminal and type lsmod | grep hidp

you should see something like:

hidp 9700 0

But this won't make it work yet, it still requires something along the lines of the bt-kbd-remap or bt-hid-scripts to get the devices to pair properly.

Pete.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pete_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 1,408 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by ajalkane View Post
No need to get angry. I think the Harmattan developers at Nokia have done a tremendous job, and I'm forever grateful to them - this might be the phone I'll be using for quite some number of years.

Of course the upper echelons of Nokia are, in my opinion, totally out of touch with their WP strategy and lack of resources put into Maemo when it was important. But it is what it is. What we have is a great device, put together by some fine people. And we have the community that can make it even better.

In the context of this post, If it's true that we can make BT keyboards work by ourselves, I think there's no great cause for distress. It's open source working as intended.
Have every right to be upset, but as you said it is not at the Harmattan developers. Decision makers at the top are to blame. I too will use device for at least another 2 years but it certainly is my last Nokia device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afaq For This Useful Post: