Notices

Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by fwrnando View Post
This would get in the way of something like MSCIM, right? Or is it possible to get those two to play nice together?
I don't know it well, but from a quick look, it would probably replace it. You can't use multiple input methods at once.

I have no developer knowledge of the N900 platform

But could you possible implement:

Structered english :

Code:
If HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_SUPPORT > true
       portrait-keyboard
else
      default keyboard
Would tht be possible?

I am going by my reasonable alright level of knowledge of JAVA programming. So I cannot give actual code for maemo but I understand structured english and someone with more brains on this area should possibly be able to implement this as an extra part of the portrait function?

Just trying to help

make it atleast T9 compatible and usable or else just stop the effort. this is allready been done in vertsms.

The Following User Says Thank You to sygys For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sygys View Post
make it atleast T9 compatible and usable or else just stop the effort. this is allready been done in vertsms.
I don't think you quite understand what this is. Unlike vertsms, this works everywhere you have text input - it's a regular virtual keyboard, not a separate application.

Vertsms is really not a good way to do things.. asking every application to implement its own keyboard (or creating separate applications for portrait usage) is not a productive way to do things, as it either involves duplicating whole applications, or at the least, everyone creating their own keyboard solution which looks and feels slightly different from everything else. That's the whole reason this exists.

That having been said, if you'd taken a closer look at the initial post, you would notice that 'fast predictive input' is already listed under 'future direction'.

Thanks!

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by godofwar424 View Post
Code:
If HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_SUPPORT > true
       portrait-keyboard
else
      default keyboard
Someone else already suggested this above. It's not really straightforward (it's not easy, and there are also some complications to that situation).. because of that, I don't think I want to put my effort into this at least, I'd rather make a (different) landscape layout in the same plugin which was more suited to landscape usage.

I'd welcome input from anyone else who wants to try, though.

Hmmm.... I wonder if it's possible to port to Diablo...

Originally Posted by linuxeventually View Post
Hmmm.... I wonder if it's possible to port to Diablo...
I don't know enough about Diablo unfortunately. Patches welcome, though.

First up,

It is GREAT that you guys are doing this! You have no idea how I, and everyone else, am thankful. Few suggestions:

1- Make it QWERTY. I know T9 is closed source as far as I know, so at least make it QWERTY. If you could use the the design from Witter's Portrait Keyboard, that would be fantastic! ABC DEF GHI is a very tedious method.

2- The original Virtual Landscape Keyboard does come in handy and the new one in PR 1. is fantastic. Can this app be transformed and installed as a "language" in ukeyboard? This way we can still maintain the older vkb if we want to.

3- Also, how do you remove it if you want old keyboard back? Simple uninstall?

Thanks for the effort! This is amazing!

The Following User Says Thank You to BN900 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by BN900 View Post
1- Make it QWERTY. I know T9 is closed source as far as I know, so at least make it QWERTY. If you could use the the design from Witter's Portrait Keyboard, that would be fantastic! ABC DEF GHI is a very tedious method.
I really, really don't want a qwerty keyboard for portrait input, because I have big fingers. I find it hard enough typing on the normal keyboard in landscape mode. I suspect the same is true for a fair number of other people. However:

T9 is pretty easy to implement. There's also various other options for fast input, and we will be doing one of them. I agree that multiple press input sucks. :-)

2- The original Virtual Landscape Keyboard does come in handy and the new one in PR 1. is fantastic. Can this app be transformed and installed as a "language" in ukeyboard? This way we can still maintain the older vkb if we want to.
I don't think so, but we can probably introduce some alternative for fast switching. Other things (like better input) are more important for the time being though I think, so if this is something you'd want to work on(?) I'm sure that we can help you do it.

3- Also, how do you remove it if you want old keyboard back? Simple uninstall?
Yes. Should work.

The Following User Says Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by w00t View Post
I really, really don't want a qwerty keyboard for portrait input, because I have big fingers. I find it hard enough typing on the normal keyboard in landscape mode. I suspect the same is true for a fair number of other people. However:

T9 is pretty easy to implement. There's also various other options for fast input, and we will be doing one of them. I agree that multiple press input sucks. :-)

I don't think so, but we can probably introduce some alternative for fast switching. Other things (like better input) are more important for the time being though I think, so if this is something you'd want to work on(?) I'm sure that we can help you do it.

Yes. Should work.
Did you see the Portrait Keyboard on Witter? (That sounds dirty, dunno why!) It is fantastic. Plus, the trick with portrait keyboard is the press+and+hold idea, where you press and release once you are sure you are on the right button. If you want an A and you press an S, you just slide your finger to the A, like you would on the unmentionable Voldemort of phone, the ip*one.

The Following User Says Thank You to BN900 For This Useful Post:

Tags
hit and run, worthless