Notices

I see Your point. If You could point me to most-demanding (in terms of performance) dos game, that is at the same time fully playable in andosbox, I could prepare settings for it, to work the same (or better) on Maemo, and publish it here. Maybe it is going to need some after-tweaking or testing, so Your help - as tester pointing out where it could be better - would be also appreciated

I thought about dos-version C&C, but maybe You know more demanding (yet, playable) title?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I see Your point. If You could point me to most-demanding (in terms of performance) dos game, that is at the same time fully playable in andosbox, I could prepare settings for it, to work the same (or better) on Maemo, and publish it here. Maybe it is going to need some after-tweaking or testing, so Your help - as tester pointing out where it could be better - would be also appreciated

I thought about dos-version C&C, but maybe You know more demanding (yet, playable) title?

/Estel
I really love playing Skunny Kart on my N900 It's playable on andosbox.

Demo can be downloaded from here:
http://www.copysoft.com/skunny_kart.php

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Hey, I also use xbindkeys (right click is for me "blue arrow" + tap), and it works on Maemo and ED. Still, it doesn't work on dosbox (due to keyb rover.sys, I suppose - it's using "blue arrow" other way).

Have You achieved right click functionality in dosbox with Your method? If yes, what I'm missing? sorry for dumb question, but I'm quite lost in this case.

Keep in mind, that I'm using N900, on Diablo it may look a little different.

/Estel
For us that still run Diablo, no complaints.

It could be a faulty xmodmap. I just now remember reading about this awhile ago on this site. Try searching for xmodmap here.

What behavior do you get after typing this in Xterm?
xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"

The Following User Says Thank You to Addison For This Useful Post:
Hi guys,

I wanted to ask if anyone can help me configure my dosbox to run Mortal Kombat 3 smoothly?

I managed to make game run and screen size is perfect but I couldn't make it smooth by editing my dosbox.conf.

The game loads very slowly and it is very choppy, in fact it's unplayable.

I disabled the sound to make it more playable but it didn't help.

I attached my dosbox.conf (had to rename it to .txt to be able to upload, also removed commented lines to make it smaller).

Got the game form Abandonia:
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/29...+Kombat+3.html

Any help would be appreciated
P.S. If I posted in the wrong section, please move the post, or point me in the right direction. Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dosbox-0.73.txt (1.3 KB, 93 views)

You may want to update dosbox for maemo - 0.74 is latest version (it requires You to have extras-devel enabled, at least for this single update)

After update (remember, You will get new config with 0.74 in it's name - changes in 0.73 won't be used in 0.74 version, unless specified as startup argument!), change the following lines (I'm posting, how they *should* look, not how they look now):

Code:
fulldouble=false
output=surface
priority=higher,pause
memsize=16
... by the way, are You insane man?! Putting 64 MB into dosbox emulated machine? It doesn't work like that, increasing it below sane limits, actually slow things down. And, actually, never ever use more than 32 MB, even on desktop computer. On N900, use max 16MB, for most games 8 or 4 is sufficient. Games from that era won't (most of the time) use additional memory, but You're still taking it out from Maemo reserve.

Code:
frameskip=3
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x
core=auto [You may try forcing dynamic here, if You're sure it works better for that particular game, auto is best for most cases]
cputype=auto
cycles=auto
[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=1024
prebuffer=20
...now, if You want to have sound, use:
Code:
[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
sbmixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplemu=default
oplrate=22050
...otherwise, use:
Code:
[sblaster]
sbtype=none
And report back about Your findings. Also, using overclocked max frequency is recommended (900 upper limit, i don't recommend going higher than this).

If You still got problems with fluidity, first thing to do is disabling sound. Then, You may try increasing frameskip (by 1 on every try). I don't recommend going higher than 5 frameskip, cause it's going to cause tear-down look, no matter of performance.

Also, keep in mind, that in dosbox 0.74 output=overlay doesn't work, but output=surface does. That's why I changes it in config. If You insist on using dosbox 0.73, You can leave it as overlay, but keep aspect=true, and change scaler to scale=none

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2011-11-19 at 22:02.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
An Corp! As I posted on another thread, I just got my hands on N900 and started to mess around with it. Got frustrated for the lack of right click in DOSBox, and decided to give it a swing. I set up SDK, downloaded Javis Pedro's sources for 0.74 in extras-devel and added functionality for right click when you hold down shift. Cool, but it eats away one button from already small keyboard, so I changed it so it works when you cover proximity sensor, same way as in JA2 (looked into its source code, so thanks go to Janne Mäkinen on this one ). No buttons sacrificed. Packaged, and tested to be working, just need to do little tidying.

Anyone interested? Any way my changes could get implemented in package in extras-devel? Where to go from here?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ghouli For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
If you can make the feature optional (say configurable from the config file) I will add them to my patchset and publish a new version.

The Following User Says Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Hi Javispedro, have you seen latest version of Dosbox Turbo for Android? It works really well, is there any improvement that might worth to port to Maemo version?

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
Hi Javispedro, have you seen latest version of Dosbox Turbo for Android? It works really well, is there any improvement that might worth to port to Maemo version?
I do not have any love for Android *ware. Considering my past experiences, that software probably is a payware, gpl-violating ripoff of someone else's port that either does nothing new at all -- apart from the necessary bells and whistles to be featured on the payware store -- or just has a different set of defaults that works better for a few games at the cost of several thousand others.

So, no, I'm not touching that .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 10 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by javispedro View Post
If you can make the feature optional (say configurable from the config file) I will add them to my patchset and publish a new version.
Done. Currently reads useproxsensor boolean from dosbox.conf under SDL section and sends its value to sdl mouse struct. All changes I have made are in sdlmain.cpp.