Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Just saw a program on sweden TV about death and how we not talk about it and take for grantet "we never die" (until someone near us die).

The TV program is a serie of programs. Last time it was about a person with cancer. This time about a young man run over pedestrian crossing and died. Also about a woman with pacemaker who is glad being alive every day...

Starts make me think about my own life for example. To much time spending on geekstuff to little social life.

I think the modern people spending to much time online and don't realise tomorrow you may be dead.

Think about it? we spending to much time fighting each other even here on TMO on different options on phone OS'es?

How crazy is that

We should spend the time on more intresting/important stuff.

Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
Exactly.
Heck when you think about it...lifespan potential without calamity is 80 yrs....80 summers at best...how many summers can the average individual recall in that period of time? 50-60 ? maybe 70 at best....
80 yrs seems long....but put it in the proper context....80 summers...it seems awfully freakin short. I have packed half that time already with study, good works, family, friends, and fun...no regrets at all if I get taken out tomorrow by a steamroller
Considering the show you mention...I heartily suggest you look up a great film from the early to mid 80's
It was called DeathWatch
It is the future...as in... right around the corner a few years...or decades or possibly hundreds....there is still people dying...but they do it far away in some war...or tucked away in an old age home...out of societies sight. Disease and illness and cancer are curable with either operation or medication...So the population is completely out of touch with the human process....enter the big media conglomerates ....they find a middle aged person with a completely inoperable condition who WILL die. Enter Harvey Keitel great camera man who elected for surgery to have cameras implanted in his eyes...Every camera man's dream come true...what he sees IS film. So he gets to know the protagonist without her knowing she is being filmed and broadcast to a civilization starved for this kind of understanding.
A great film...won't say more than it really seems eerie that this film was done before the concept of reality television was foisted on us all.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Do you really think that people doubt that they will die? We all will do it, it's inevitable.

In fact, think about it this way... as a programmer, digital artist, gadget lover, everything that I do relies on electricity and my participation. If I were to die, it goes away. Long forgotten. If the power goes out, the impermanence of my daily endeavors is woefully apparent.

That's why I donate time to not only less fortunate kids in assisting them with their academics, I also donate my phones/gadgets (for the most part) to battered women shelters.

But face it, this entire generation doesn't think about their mortality. Most just think about this moment only and not what may lay ahead. It's perhaps the saddest thing that I can perceive about this generation and/or society of folks that hide behind anonymous usernames and gather gadgets to fill some habit/hobby. But I digress...

Yes. I think about what legacy I will leave by interacting with people that I can affect in a positive way. And that's a lot more important than even my daily operations.

The part about how everything is impermanent that I create has never been far from my heart. I knew that when I wrote my very first program when I was a kid. Pull the plug, it's gone for a few minutes. The plug disappears (for some reason), the work disappears forever. Plant a tree today, it may grow. If it does grow, it'll be there for others in the future.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Love Death cant live without It.

When i think about Death i mostly fantasies about ways about how I don't want to die. But true... Don't talk about it often. It will just hit you one day it's a ****ing lottery and it's not fair either.

The question bout legacy is a bit interesting why do we think that is important? The humans and earth will get destroyed at some point so isn't that only to make us feel better for the moment? Maybe it's more important when you are old?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-11-20 at 21:18.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Do you really think that people doubt that they will die? We all will do it, it's inevitable.

In fact, think about it this way... as a programmer, digital artist, gadget lover, everything that I do relies on electricity and my participation. If I were to die, it goes away. Long forgotten. If the power goes out, the impermanence of my daily endeavors is woefully apparent.

That's why I donate time to not only less fortunate kids in assisting them with their academics, I also donate my phones/gadgets (for the most part) to battered women shelters.

But face it, this entire generation doesn't think about their mortality. Most just think about this moment only and not what may lay ahead. It's perhaps the saddest thing that I can perceive about this generation and/or society of folks that hide behind anonymous usernames and gather gadgets to fill some habit/hobby. But I digress...

Yes. I think about what legacy I will leave by interacting with people that I can affect in a positive way. And that's a lot more important than even my daily operations.

The part about how everything is impermanent that I create has never been far from my heart. I knew that when I wrote my very first program when I was a kid. Pull the plug, it's gone for a few minutes. The plug disappears (for some reason), the work disappears forever. Plant a tree today, it may grow. If it does grow, it'll be there for others in the future.
Very nice. Especially donating phones to battered women. I should do that with my stash of phones.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I Will also donete mobiles to someone so you started a snowball gerbick. Good one. Is IT ok to give a way rooted Phones With moded software but every thing works?

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-11-20 at 21:57.

I doubt I'm the first person to state that they give phones to the lesser fortunate here.

Donate a phone that can (in the least) keep a charge along with the charge and that can at least call 911. In some cases, while the lesser fortunate are rebuilding their lives, they do not even have a phone to accept calls for when they apply to jobs or talk to family privately.

Ask the local shelters what they will and will not accept. I know I gave my Samsung Captivate that was rooted and had a custom ROM on it. It still could join the Google Play Store so they would have been just okay.

You do not know death until you see one in front of you, in real life.

I'm already dead...my soul has crossed into the Internet.

SOPA was an attempt to imprison me!

I'm flattered

Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Y think about sumthing that we dont understand. People die and they will keep dying. You have to keep ur calm and do what u r supposed to. You guys must read "GITA" our hindus' sacred book if u r luking for some spiritual knowledge.