Active Topics

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
I just upgraded to OS 2008 and am in pain that Video Camera doesn't install even with a dpkg --force --install.

Is there an alternative video recorder available for OS 2008? Is the source code available for Video Camera for an attempt to compile it in Scratchbox for chinook?

I would think that a video recorder would be an essential app as the N800/N810 is capable of it.

Thanks!

I don't believe there is one. Even if there was, the camera still sucks ***. Hopefully they will put a better one in with the next IT.

Posts: 466 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Temple Terrorist, FL
It's better than the $100 Veo Photo Traveler SD camera I bought for my Dell Axim a few years ago.

I know the camera (and video recording) isn't great, but it does work and can be very useful, especially if the video recording can be easily played on alternative operating systems.

Would be nice. My face is too ugly for CMOS to process so any webcam I try to use breaks if I look into it.

The n800's camera is a little bit crap in bad lighting but it'll do.

Posts: 213 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on May 2007 @ Montreal, Canada
Greetings:

Can anyone explain why then Gizmo Project latest upgrade for the N800 can use video for a video conference.

According to many users that have used the video conference with the Gizmo project on a N800 with 2008OS firm find the video very acceptable.

So if Gizmo believes that it was worthwhile to develop an upgrade to have video conference, I can't understand why we can't have a Video Camera recorder apps.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Regards Robert

We need someone to port cheese

Posts: 373 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ Ottawa, ON
Originally Posted by DataPath View Post
We need someone to port cheese
Maybe Daniel [1] is worthy of Tim's [2] free N810.

[1] http://home.cs.tum.edu/~siegel/

[2] http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=15626

Posts: 239 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Massachusetts
Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
So if Gizmo believes that it was worthwhile to develop an upgrade to have video conference, I can't understand why we can't have a Video Camera recorder apps.
We can have anything we want, as soon as you write it. Get to work.

---------------------------------------------

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Migratory; CA, WI, MI, TX, FL, ME
Originally Posted by RobMtl007 View Post
... According to many users that have used the video conference with the Gizmo project on a N800 with 2008OS firm find the video very acceptable.

Any other comments would be appreciated.

Regards Robert
I realize this is an older thread, but tripped over it while doing a search on "video recording".

Yah that's pretty spiffy, my kids get a kick out of it when I wander around the yard giving them a tour.
(CA to WI, handy in winter when they're freezing their butts off )
You might want to try & register another Gizmo account & send the video to your desktop & capture the stream from there.
Kinda hokey round-about way of doing things but what the heck, if it works in the meanwhile...
Gotta add that to my "to do list"