im currently experiencing trouble trying to stop a widget from launching itself automatically & it switchs off automatically. this started wn i tried to install linux kernel for power users & i unistalled it. it's a widget that contains web, email, photos, messages & settings. it's so bad to the extent that it launches itself im doing something else & opens an unnecessary app at that tym. plz how do i deal with this?

Last edited by marlon comfort; 2013-09-24 at 23:07.

Posts: 131 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Netherlands
Thanks for spamming the forum...
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1376567
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1376570

You can't uninstall kernel-power.
Besides, it shouldn't cause any apps to randomly open all the time.

What's the name of the window that opens?
What does the command "top" (or "ps -e") show when it happens?

Last edited by ffha; 2013-09-25 at 00:36.

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
First of all: The widget issue is not related to the kernel-power!

How did you install kernel-power? Pure apt-get or HildonApplicationManager (HAM) or FasterApplicationManager (FAM)?
The widget in question seems to be the 'Ovi by Nokia'-widget. You could disable it by: Tapping on an empty space of the desktop, where the infamous widget resides, and dit the cross icon on the upper right corner of the widget. Or you could get rid forever by uninstalling it in FAP from the 'Advanced' category or in X-terminal
Code:
 sudo gainroot
apt-get purge ovi-promotion-widget
obviously 'rootsh' must be installed for the above commands to work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to michaaa62 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by michaaa62 View Post
First of all: The widget issue is not related to the kernel-power!

How did you install kernel-power? Pure apt-get or HildonApplicationManager (HAM) or FasterApplicationManager (FAM)?
The widget in question seems to be the 'Ovi by Nokia'-widget. You could disable it by: Tapping on an empty space of the desktop, where the infamous widget resides, and dit the cross icon on the upper right corner of the widget. Or you could get rid forever by uninstalling it in FAP from the 'Advanced' category or in X-terminal
Code:
 sudo gainroot
apt-get purge ovi-promotion-widget
obviously 'rootsh' must be installed for the above commands to work.
@michaaa62 it's the hildon app manager, it's just an assumption cause when i tired to install power kernel nothing really changed it showed 2.6.28-omap1 & that's wn the ovi widget started doing itself launching game & oftentimes it covers the menu button that i cant access app, instead it opens other ovi stuff. tried the X-terminal yu said, the apt-get purge ovi-promotion-widget but it stil launches itself in a split of a second & cancels itself in the like manner. do yu hv an idea hw this is happening? i've sorted quite a number of N900 issues but this one is proving stubborn. thnx again

@ffha, it's ovi. it vibrates wn it launches though other applications dont do that. sme tymz it launches so fast & disappears in the same same way so yu cant trace its origins. thnx in advance,

Last edited by marlon comfort; 2013-09-25 at 08:19.

it started when installd 'fix Pr 1.2 missing icons'. Evr since i can't get rid of the self launchin ovi widget not the one that comes up with a new nokia n900. is there a way to solve this & is it safe fo me to install linux kernel f power users? dont wanna lose my info

Posts: 2,102 | Thanked: 1,937 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Berlin, Germany
Did you install the package or did you apply the changes manually, what does always carry the possibility of typos?

installed the "Fix P.R 1.2 Missing Icons" via hildon app manager & after that this "type of widget" that 'didn't exist' in my phone "starts popping from nowhere", great. when i unistalled the application, the widget didn't go.

finally sorted the puzzle. if you install "mediaBar" ffrom extra dev it'll install a nokia musiq express widget which launches itself at the specified time which can also be configured in the "settings" to suit the time you may want it to launch. it's quite cool you can give it a try. the widget no longer launches after uninstalling it. it's quite unfornate i purged my nokia-promotion widget trying to solve the mystery. great. thnx guyz heads up

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by marlon comfort View Post
it's quite unfornate i purged my nokia-promotion widget trying to solve the mystery. great. thnx guyz heads up
If you miss it, you can always install it via FAM (Advanced category) or via xterminal (if you have rootsh installed)
Code:
sudo gainroot
apt-get install ovi-promotion-widget