Notices

Posts: 291 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ North-west, UK
Originally Posted by zaheerm View Post
Could be flash 9.4 isn't using the dsp effectively for h.264.
I think it's only hardware accelerated on mobile devices in Player 10.1, due for Maemo some time next year.

Posts: 5 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Kent, UK
Originally Posted by RevdKathy View Post
I for one would welcome a 'bear of very little brain' walk-thru. I've only ever entered one command line in X-terminal. I know I'm way out of my depth (I found a command last night I felt brave enough to try... baby steps, little bear) but getting TMS streamed is something I am Highly Motivated to do (I miss Aggers and the team). Following twitter isn't quite the same.
OK, well that bit I can do. Add http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r5lsp.asx to your internet radio stations - no need to go via iplayer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to testmatchspecial For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by testmatchspecial View Post
OK, well that bit I can do. Add http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/listen/live/r5lsp.asx to your internet radio stations - no need to go via iplayer.
Thank you! I'll try it out tomorrow having missed Swanny's fivefer today.

After a bit of scratching around i was able to get the basic get_iplayer script installed and running on my N900 without the chrooted debian environment. I have not tried the web front end.

Key to this is the need to have the libwww-perl module installed, great it is in extras-devel (alarm bell #1 should now be ringing) however it will not install due to missing dependencies. There is a helpful page on the maemo.org wiki that explains the status of Perl in Fremantle. The upshot of this is that you could install packages from the SDK repository to get this working (alarm bell #2 starts).

!!WARNING!!
If you are not comfortable with putting your device in a state where you will need to re-flash the software manually, walk away now.
!!WARNING!!

Installing packages from the SDK repository effectively changes the software configuration so that it is no longer recognised as running Maemo 5. You will not receive future updates in the application manager for the operating system. Yes, hacking around like this bit me hard on the N810.

You will need to have root privileges in the xterminal for the following:
  1. Edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list to include the Fremantle SDK repository
  2. Run 'apt-get update'
  3. Run 'apt-get install libwww-perl' with the SDK repository installed this will resolve the dependencies.
  4. Download the get_iplayer script and set as executable.
  5. Run 'get_iplayer -h' for help.

While this works I would strongly recommend against following these instructions and disclaim any problems that arise.

IMO it would be much easier to run the web PVR front end on a personal server and connect to it from the N900 using just the web browser but this is a nice hack.

Have fun,
LES..

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by testmatchspecial View Post
It works! I can haz Aggers! Now all I need to worry about is the data transfer and signal quality. So.. what are our chances of losing dismally now I can listen?

I am assuming that this script still has the limitations of you having to be in the UK or content is blocked? Or can an expat Aussie, now in the USA, who is seriously missing his cricket etc use it?
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

unfortunately, bbc restricts access to content to within the UK, although downloading through a proxy shouldn't be too hard

Fyi:

I did contact BBC basically asking nicely that they maybe consider writing an app for the N900 due to its (hopefull) popularity.

This is what i had back

Dear (Me)

Thank you for contacting the BBC iPlayer Support Team.

I understand that you would like to access BBC iPlayer on your Nokia N900 device.

Unfortunately the Nokia N900 device is not supported at present, therefore we are unable to provide support.

We are constantly looking to expand our list of supported devices therefore the N900 may be supported in future.

Whilst some unsupported device' may work, we do not officially support a device until it has been fully tested by our mobile team.

Once again thank you for contacting BBC iPlayer.

Regards
So, As they seem to have apps for pretty much all other N series phone. Hopefully they will consider the N900.

Fingers crossed.

It is strange how the phone can handle high quality videos ( downloaded ) however can handle a few mbit stream from wireless.

Last edited by lynxus; 2010-01-18 at 22:26.

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 120 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ London
Originally Posted by lynxus View Post
So, As they seem to have apps for pretty much all other N series phone. Hopefully they will consider the N900.
All the other N-series devices run S60 and all have more or less the same capabilities and built-in software. Adding support for a new device is probably very little work for them. I'm guessing that they just need to test and possibly do a few tweaks to accomodate a new screen resolution or work around some software glitch in the firmware.

The N900 is another beast altogether since it runs a completely different operating system and has a completely different set of built-in software and libraries. I too hope that they'll consider supporting it but the fact that they support the S60-based N-series is little indication that they'll support the N900 unfortunately.

The Following User Says Thank You to mehdiE For This Useful Post:
Hi,

yeah i completely agree and am fully aware that the OS isnt the same as the rest ( The reason why i got this bad boy )

Its just promising that BBC recognise the N-series phones. So maybe in the future they will have a client for it.

They already have linux clients for the iplayer download's so they evidently have dev's capable of such a task.

I suppose only time will tell. ( Or if nokia / maemo ) can fix the browser to actually render at a decent framerate.

Tbh, for such a good phone. Its a bad thing that only low bitrate youtube plays and no iplayer.

Even nokias budget phones work with Iplayer ( albeit not the desktop version )

But its still something i think they need to address before this phone gets any more bad publicity.

Not only do they need to address it, They also need to be a bit more transparent on what they are doing and when before this phone flops and never gets used like it should do.

Just my 2c