Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
what did you write on it? (If it's ok to Share)

Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437832850.998925.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  42.3 KB

"Jolla Tablet - Sailfish OS Powered"
(maybe one day...)

Posts: 4,118 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
I guess my first (and last) post here.
But I tend to disagree.

You want them to be silent like Apple with their 'you-hold-it-wrong-tactic'? Or like Nokia with all their obvious HW failures in lots of devices (slider N95, gps antenna N97, usb N900, ....) and denying any problems publicly?
That would be sooooo just like.

I expected different!
But I need to admit I realize they learned their business at Nokia.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by peterleinchen View Post
You want them to be silent like Apple with their 'you-hold-it-wrong-tactic'? Or like Nokia with all their obvious HW failures in lots of devices (slider N95, gps antenna N97, usb N900, ....) and denying any problems publicly?
Let me tell you, Apple has had far, far, far more HW failures than Nokia ever did. With a dreamer like Jobs at the top of the company, you get far more flops than successes (which I think is why they originally kicked him out of the company). You just never hear about most of them because Apple silently throws them into the trash. But yeah, when you allow your folks to make lots of experiments (and therefore lots of mistakes), they can eventually come up with some amazing stuff.

The funny thing about doing all your work in a fishbowl is that, for some reason, people insist upon throwing rocks at the fishbowl whenever you make a mistake. Best to keep the crowds away until you've got something that the crowds like.

Talking about the crowds (masses) I agree

It is just about openess (which they said they want to be).
And to be clear: I do not mind that they need more time nor that they do not tell all the details.
But maybe I am too naive (or expecting something a manager has had a hard time to learn to forget about)?

And yes I also needed to make decisions during project runtime. But I always tried go be as open as possible (and was successful with that 'strategy').
But now I am fully involved in that discussion which I did not want at all. So bye bye.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

Last edited by peterleinchen; 2015-07-25 at 15:43.

Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, actually, I've gotta say that Jolla has learned a hard lesson that many other companies learned long ago; never, never reveal anything about your inner processes. Jolla has already provided more info about their development process than pretty much any other mobile device company than I have ever seen before; we've gotten just a hint of all the troubles and struggles they've had during the creation of this tablet. And their reward? An enormous chorus of hostility.
I disagree - just check the comments on the latest tablet related article on the Jolla blog.
Most of the negative/angry comments basically say "I would be okay with it if you told us sooner & provided progress updates more often". So the issue is the exact opposite - providing too little information too late.

As for "Jolla has already provided more info about their development process than pretty much any other mobile device company than I have ever seen before" - isn't that the whole point of Jolla ? To be #unlike the existing mobile companies and to bring something new and more open ?

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
I disagree - just check the comments on the latest tablet related article on the Jolla blog.
Most of the negative/angry comments basically say "I would be okay with it if you told us sooner & provided progress updates more often". So the issue is the exact opposite - providing too little information too late.
Personally, I don't trust those comments. When I look at that blog, I see that as Carol replies to the angry comments, she's getting even more (and angrier) comments in response. I don't think anything Carol (or anybody else) would have said or when would have changed what the folks are saying on that blog.

And honestly, any rational person would have seen the display issues described at the start of the year, along with the delay in the target release to July, and known not to schedule their vacations around it (or for goodness' sakes purchase it for someone's birthday, as a few seem to have done). People don't seem to understand the realities of the design process; if you ever give out an estimate for completion of the product, people take it as a hard fact, and then get up in arms when that estimate shifts.

I think openness is great; but I would propose to Jolla that they NEVER EVER give out dates of any sort ever again. And, in fact, it might benefit them to only be open about their products after they are released, because appeasing the peanut gallery in the middle of the engineering process just isn't worth it.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2015-07-25 at 22:13.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Dates are cool. No point of hiding in their office. And you know what. Project delivery on that time. Yes it happens. And delays too. So what ever jolla planning next. Give dates, but maybe not a delivery date. If the know anything about crowdfunding they should have done a "journey" with progress dates and story telling rather then reaction blogposts. But hey they are rookies from Nokia, so who can blame them.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I tend to agree with Copernicus. Maybe exposing Jolla for what they really are - a corporation like any other, with all the Nokia legacy, not some imaginary "unlike" harbinger of openness they want us to believe they are - maybe that would finally open people's eyes and stop all the unjustified reverence.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I tend to agree with Copernicus. Maybe exposing Jolla for what they really are - a corporation like any other, with all the Nokia legacy, not some imaginary "unlike" harbinger of openness they want us to believe they are - maybe that would finally open people's eyes and stop all the unjustified reverence.
THAT!

But it would not stop those bickering.

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel

Funny thing that i told they still have problems with display, but do not tell it as it's bad PR. Btw first time they mentioned about problems, they told that new display is better. i wonder how it can be better, if till now they had problems with it and most chances had no display at all?
And how people worship their openess adn communication after they announeced new delay adn explained they still have problems just a wekk before already delayed date and months of silence. But yeah, they shared info, otherwise what you expected? They would delay without telling anything? So please... They always wait till last second and communicate about problems only when there is no choice left and after they see a crowd of people raising the voices. But surely, suddenly they communicate the best way (again after same story every time, because it happens not even second time)

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund