Hello Everyone,

Since a while my 16GB N9 has a USB transfer rate of 3-4MB/S, in the same conditions my 64 has a transfer rate of 20MB/S... Do you know what could cause that ?

Thank you,

Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
check your USB cable, whether you have a slow usb1.1 printer or any such device connected to your pc at the same time as your transfer. Also are you transferring using mass storage or sync and connect. At time of you have hundreds of small files being transferred the speed gets bogged down too...

The Following User Says Thank You to thedead1440 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
check your USB cable, whether you have a slow usb1.1 printer or any such device connected to your pc at the same time as your transfer. Also are you transferring using mass storage or sync and connect. At time of you have hundreds of small files being transferred the speed gets bogged down too...
Well, my 64GB gives me 20MB/S on the same kind of life on the same cable... So I'm pretty sure it can't come from the cable/pc...

I reformatted the partition using FAT32 and 4096 octets in block size and everything is fine now

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pipould For This Useful Post:
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Austria
Originally Posted by pipould View Post
I reformatted the partition using FAT32 and 4096 octets in block size and everything is fine now
I used to think a write transfer-speed of around 3-4MB/s is normal (16GB version). How did you do the reformating?

Connect the phone using mass-storage mode and reformat the partition like any other partition/drive?

Originally Posted by N9uwu View Post
Connect the phone using mass-storage mode and reformat the partition like any other partition/drive?
Yes. usb-storage exposes the whole block device, so you can partition and format.

This is also the reason the phone cannot access the filesystem while in USB storage mode, because it cannot mount a filesystem locally and over USB at the same time

Last edited by accumulator; 2012-07-26 at 09:59.

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Going FAT32 w/ 4096 cluster size indeed increases the speed up to some 20MB/s. This is a great find. Why the hell hasn't the device been properly formatted from the very beginning?

Posts: 20 | Thanked: 17 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Zagreb, Croatia
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
Going FAT32 w/ 4096 cluster size indeed increases the speed up to some 20MB/s. This is a great find. Why the hell hasn't the device been properly formatted from the very beginning?
What was your previous cluster size?
I checked mine (with Windows, chkdsk command), and it says 65536 B.

Posts: 256 | Thanked: 110 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Europe
Yeah, 64KB and I never formatted MyDocs before. This must be the default factory setting.

I bet there are hundreds of people cursing N9's USB speeds not knowing this can be fixed.

Posts: 63 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Austria
Originally Posted by DarkSkies View Post
Confirmed! I have just reformated and the speed indeed increased to around 18MB/s. This really is kind of strange, why would Nokia ship the device with 65536 B block size?!