Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by tso View Post
A reboot removed the issue, so who knows. Still, now you got me worried as i have a 770 here that died from a blown controller chip...
Well, a hardware failure doesn't have to mean a permanent hardware failure. Temperature, ionizing radiation, a voltage spike... can cause a bad state in one chip, so don't be worried so soon

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Still, it have been happening more then once lately.

Originally Posted by auouymous View Post
If the applet isn't frozen try opening asui-settings and toggle cpu overlay off and on to see if it does anything. Could be a race condition that caused the cpu refresh timer to be destroyed.
OK, I got into this condition (CPU meter pegged after minutes of idle after reboot) and it kept happening after several reboots, into both connected and flight modes (WiFi, no other connections).

So after the MCE-reset & Control-Panel-Display-Settings-reset, I went back to ASUI settings and toggled the CPU-meter setting. Now the CPU meter is pegged at zero; it never shows CPU activity. It is properly showing battery level and drain/charge status.

Installed it for the first time earlier today, thanks for all the hard work! Some things I'd like to see:
  • an option to have the the lock code entry widget in phone-stule layout (1 2 3 on top) like the original. My finger memory is very confused right now ;-)
  • display of IPv6 along with IPv4 address
  • tracking of GPS activation/de-activation in the battery graph

I also found these:

Code:
~ $ ls -lrt /media/mmc1/core-dumps/
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25795.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25802.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25799.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25805.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25809.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25812.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25815.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25818.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25821.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25824.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25827.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root      1740800 Jul 16 13:47 advanced-system-11-26334.core
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root      1396736 Jul 16 13:47 advanced-system-11-26353.core
(13:40 was the installation time) but nothing since (and I rebooted just to make sure no nasty surprises await) so I'm not too worried about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lma View Post
an option to have the the lock code entry widget in phone-stule layout (1 2 3 on top) like the original. My finger memory is very confused right now ;-)
Added to the TODO page for next release. Really busy right now but hoping to start working on next release in a couple weeks as there are a bunch of issues that are bothering me.

display of IPv6 along with IPv4 address
This is already on the list, if you can tell me how to get the IP, and will test it (I don't have ipv6), then I can get it added in the next release.

tracking of GPS activation/de-activation in the battery graph
The code for this is already in place, just waiting on code to detect the GPS state. I've written down some notes on the TODO page but haven't looked into any of them yet.

I also found these:
Code:
~ $ ls -lrt /media/mmc1/core-dumps/
-rw-r--r--    1 user     root       475136 Jul 16 13:40 advanced-system-6-25795.core
(13:40 was the installation time) but nothing since
Made a note of it on the TODO page. You'll be able to tell if ASUI crashes because the battery graph history will be cleared, it rarely happens though, for me at least.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
This is already on the list, if you can tell me how to get the IP, and will test it (I don't have ipv6), then I can get it added in the next release.
Hm, I see you're getting the v4 one from icd2 via dbus. I don't think that'll work with v6 (it's usually auto-configured at kernel level so icd2 isn't involved), but you could grab it from /proc/net/if_inet6 like ifconfig does (ignoring any addresses beginning with "fe80", those are link-local)

Made a note of it on the TODO page. You'll be able to tell if ASUI crashes because the battery graph history will be cleared, it rarely happens though, for me at least.
I think the SIGABRT ones at least were just an installation-time thing. My syslog shows a bunch of

Code:
DSME: process '/usr/bin/advanced-systemui' with pid 25795 exited with signal: 6
DSME: process '/usr/bin/advanced-systemui' exited and restarted with pid 25799
terminating with

Code:
DSME: '/usr/bin/advanced-systemui' spawning too fast, stop trying
No trace of the two SIGSEGV ones though. The only log entry at 13:47 was

Code:
hildon-desktop[20075]: GLIB WARNING ** default - Application ASUI Settings did not provide valid .desktop file

New test binaries for ASUI and asui-settings containing a setting under device lock to invert the keypad. It defaults to systemui-style(phone) so anyone who wants the original ASUI-style(calculator) will need to change it.

To download and install:
Code:
asui dt;asui it;asui ds;asui is
Edit: Running 'asui uu' will install a new copy of the convenience script and the above test can be installed with 'asui dit;asui dis'.

Last edited by auouymous; 2011-07-17 at 02:16.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to auouymous For This Useful Post:
Phone-style lock keypad looks good, thanks!

I think I just ran into this:

BTW, there is a bug that causes the applet to lock up the statusbar and you'll need to kill hildon-desktop to restart it. It happened when I was rapidly plugging and unplugging the charger, I'm still testing for the actual cause.
only I didn't have to kill it - I plugged the charger in, saw some notifications flash quickly and hildon-desktop died on its own. I didn't have the microsd in so no core dump / syslog, sorry :-( The other status bar applets are presence, wifi and statusbar clock.

Originally Posted by tso View Post
if bluetooth was on before flight mode gets activated, it would prefer that bluetooth was turned back on when fight mode was deactivated.
+1 on that, and the same applies to GPS and openssh.

Actually, I would prefer it if flight mode did not switch the openssh service off at all (I might want to ssh to localhost, or over USB for example).

+1 on that, and the same applies to GPS and openssh.

Actually, I would prefer it if flight mode did not switch the openssh service off at all (I might want to ssh to localhost, or over USB for example).
Eh? The bluetooth + flight mode problem was fixed in a previous release, it will come back on when exiting flight mode. ASUI doesn't have any code to handle GPS so you'll have to blame Nokia if it doesn't come back on when exiting flight mode. And ASUI doesn't stop SSH when entering flight mode, unless you long press it. If SSH doesn't work then its a problem in the network stack.

Tags
bada blows, bada rox